Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which Report - well would you believe it... supermarket special offers are a scam!

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2013, 11:37 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Report - well would you believe it... supermarket special offers are a scam!

Which? have done a report into supermarket special offers and found many of them aren't offers at all.... well there's a surprise LOL!

For instance Carex handwash - normally £1, put the price up to £1.80 for a week and then do a 2 for £2 'special offer'

The supermarkets have all apologised for the 'errors' highlighted by the report.

They really must think we are all mugs!

For the last 12 months I have been trying to do all my shopping at the local butcher, greengrocer and the rest at Costco whenever possible!
Old 19 November 2013, 12:00 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well if the Tesco special offer of a litre of Bells at £15 is a scam I can put up with it

Cheers, dl
Old 19 November 2013, 12:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So you've forked out for a copy of which to tell you what you all ready know
Old 19 November 2013, 12:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
So you've forked out for a copy of which to tell you what you all ready know
Sigh...... nope, just read the report summary online after seeing it on the news this morning so to you!!
Old 19 November 2013, 12:34 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Seen this on the news this morning as well. I'm pretty sure this supermarket scamming was recently covered on Watchdog as well.

Everybody are out to take the p1ss nowadays TBH.
Old 19 November 2013, 12:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I doubt there's a person in the country really believes they're getting a bargain from a supermarket. They rely solely on footfall and they know we know that they know
Old 19 November 2013, 01:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The one that gets me is the "XYZ, £1.49 a bottle, buy two for £3!!" type of "offer".

I've seen FAR worse, bacon at £2.69 a pack, buy two for £6.

And TESCO are by far the worst at it.
If you point it out, they will put it right, they say.
But a week later, the "offer" is still on.
Old 19 November 2013, 01:12 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Local Asda to me, cat food 12 pack for £6.49 or 2x 6 packs for £6 !

Richard
Old 19 November 2013, 01:18 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I end up going to 2/3 supermarkets as well as the butcher and a couple of local guys for veg and eggs, if I did everything in one place on a weekly basis i'd be about £10/15 out of pocket which on it's own is not a huge amount of money, but over a year it's the best part of 800 quid @ the higher end, which is not exactly a small sum.

I think it really pays to pay attention EVERY time you shop as they always change the prices, one example a month ago one large green pepper was almost a £1 yesterday I bought 3 for £1, obviously when I discovered it was £1 I put it back, no ******* way i'll pay a quid for one pepper. and I think there a rip off at 33p each but I wanted chicken fahitas for dinner.
Old 19 November 2013, 01:19 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

More for the idiots who get suckered into these deals.

I hate shopping with a passion, so I let the mrs do all of it online now.
But, she does still have to watch for the offers. It will be stupid things like 2 small tubs of Flora being cheaper than the larger tub.

But hey, I set a budget and she sticks to it.

Back to the original point, I don't trust any company now. Not in the slightest. I don't care if they have rave reviews on here or they were voted the number one company for blah blah blah. I take the view that every company is out to make as much money as they can. And why shouldn't they, you know, being a capitalist society and all?

The internet is a fantastic tool for the savy shopper.
Anyone that gets ripped off in this day and age deserves it in my opinion. Actually, I wouldn't even call it that. More like the shopper being lazy and not doing their home work.
Old 19 November 2013, 01:28 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have seen some stupid offers like some posted above, I think Tesco are the worst by far. I was so happy when my missus started doing the shop online, trouble was that most of the fruit and veg was short dated so that didn't last long
Old 19 November 2013, 01:52 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
trouble was that most of the fruit and veg was short dated so that didn't last long
I've heard of this happening quite often when it comes to online shopping, stuff they can't get rid of in store gets sent out to online consumers.
Old 19 November 2013, 02:01 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

They say BOGOF I say **** off.
Old 19 November 2013, 02:41 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Pity the main supermarkets couldn't curb their massive Christmas tv budgets (featuring questionable celebrities, as if they shop beside the riff-raff ) and pass on the savings to their customers.
Old 19 November 2013, 02:55 PM
Pong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Which? have done a report into supermarket special offers and found many of them aren't offers at all.... well there's a surprise LOL!

For instance Carex handwash - normally £1, put the price up to £1.80 for a week and then do a 2 for £2 'special offer'

The supermarkets have all apologised for the 'errors' highlighted by the report.

For the last 12 months I have been trying to do all my shopping at the local butcher, greengrocer and the rest at Costco whenever possible!
If it has been at £1.80 for long time, then dropped to £1 for few weeks, they can put it back up and sell it as a promo as you say, as it's not price established (which has to be 28 days), but if it was £1 for longer than 28 days, then it's illegal to put it up and sell as a reduction price only (like 'was 1.80, now 1') but you can put it on multibuy, as single unit price is not affected.

Originally Posted by Gear Head
More for the idiots who get suckered into these deals.

I hate shopping with a passion, so I let the mrs do all of it online now.
But, she does still have to watch for the offers. It will be stupid things like 2 small tubs of Flora being cheaper than the larger tub.

But hey, I set a budget and she sticks to it.

Back to the original point, I don't trust any company now. Not in the slightest. I don't care if they have rave reviews on here or they were voted the number one company for blah blah blah. I take the view that every company is out to make as much money as they can. And why shouldn't they, you know, being a capitalist society and all?

The internet is a fantastic tool for the savy shopper.
Anyone that gets ripped off in this day and age deserves it in my opinion. Actually, I wouldn't even call it that. More like the shopper being lazy and not doing their home work.
I actually work in 'online supermarket' and am quite happy with promos we do (well, i know at least in my area we dont do put prices up before promos). As you say for smaller packs are better than bigger, it all depends on what supplier wants to do and what competitors do. So if we match tesco price on big pack, but promo is only on small packs, it might work out as smaller ones are better deal, as if supplier dont want to run promo on others, no one wants to self fund promotions and lose money.
Old 19 November 2013, 05:19 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Some of there techniques are pretty sneaky. I don't do the shopping much these days as the wife is on maternity leave but I did offer to do a shop for her last Sunday.

She wanted a pack of chicken legs/thighs for a stew so I get to that area in the meat section and find them. They are emblazoned with red stickers saying special offer £4 / kg, fab I thought, but then clocked the shelf immediately below with packs of legs/thighs 1kg for £3 but no red stickers. It seemed like the individually weighed / priced packs were £4/kg but the fixed weight packs were £3/kg. On first glance I would have bought the ones with the red stickers and thought I was getting a good deal. Tesco BTW.
Old 19 November 2013, 05:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pong
If it has been at £1.80 for long time, then dropped to £1 for few weeks, they can put it back up and sell it as a promo as you say, as it's not price established (which has to be 28 days), but if it was £1 for longer than 28 days, then it's illegal to put it up and sell as a reduction price only (like 'was 1.80, now 1') but you can put it on multibuy, as single unit price is not affected.
They were found to have 'erroneously' put it up to £1.80 for a week before the multi buy arrived. It had been £1 for a long time before that or so the report said!
Old 19 November 2013, 06:14 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
They say BOGOF I say **** off.
I'd like to ask the manager for one of them half price.
Old 19 November 2013, 06:40 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mmm, it's gone all mumsnet in here
Old 19 November 2013, 07:08 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 19 November 2013, 08:52 PM
Lisawrx

They were found to have 'erroneously' put it up to £1.80 for a week before the multi buy arrived. It had been £1 for a long time before that or so the report said!
As with other forms of the media, don't believe all you read. Although, in this case, it is probably true.

Retailers aren't all the same thankfully. I don't honestly think I've seen a dodgy offer where I work (not that I can recall). The only 'daft' offer we had a while back was for Radox, it was across the whole range and was something like 2 for £1.60, not daft in itself, however one of the lines was £1.64, so it was cheaper to get the two. I'd personally just look at that as a bargain, but not one pleasant customer who went on to argue for god knows how long that the offer was ridiculous being cheaper to buy two than one,and she only wanted one.
Old 19 November 2013, 08:57 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by richs2891
Local Asda to me, cat food 12 pack for £6.49 or 2x 6 packs for £6 !

Richard
And the problem is?????????????

That is an offer, 2 for £6. I assume (probably correctly) that the 2 for £6 isn't a constant offer. Therefore it's a promotion and that is the whole point, to get a 'bargain'. No different than the 6 pack being buy one get one free, that would work out cheaper than the 12 pack too.

What would be stupid (as picked up later in the thread, although I understand where the guy explaining why it can happen is coming from) is if the two 6 packs still worked out cheaper than the 12 pack when at their usual, full price.
Old 19 November 2013, 09:50 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
No worries, now why don't you pop over to the horny student thread and get back to objectifying women
Old 19 November 2013, 10:49 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Like people who buy massively over priced German cars when they can get twice the number of standard toys at a 1/3 or more on most other cars.
Old 19 November 2013, 10:56 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
And the problem is?????????????

That is an offer, 2 for £6. I assume (probably correctly) that the 2 for £6 isn't a constant offer. Therefore it's a promotion and that is the whole point, to get a 'bargain'. No different than the 6 pack being buy one get one free, that would work out cheaper than the 12 pack too.

What would be stupid (as picked up later in the thread, although I understand where the guy explaining why it can happen is coming from) is if the two 6 packs still worked out cheaper than the 12 pack when at their usual, full price.
Well its seems from experience that the 2 for £6 offer is on three weeks out of the four.

Does not make any sense to me, I'm not sure what the rules are regarding "offers" and how long can run but as pointed out its definitely buyers beware at supermarkets.
So yeah pretty stupid to buy the 12 pack.

Richard
Old 19 November 2013, 11:05 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Like people who buy massively over priced German cars when they can get twice the number of standard toys at a 1/3 or more on most other cars.
What the hell are you on about and what does it have to do with anything on this thread?
Old 19 November 2013, 11:11 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What the hell are you on about and what does it have to do with anything on this thread?
The fact that people think they are getting a good deal when if they shop about and don't get blinded by market hype they can get better products elsewhere.

Happy?

Or are you getting ring dhobied by car company hype to enhance your inadeqacy?
Old 20 November 2013, 12:01 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by richs2891
Well its seems from experience that the 2 for £6 offer is on three weeks out of the four.

Does not make any sense to me, I'm not sure what the rules are regarding "offers" and how long can run but as pointed out its definitely buyers beware at supermarkets.
So yeah pretty stupid to buy the 12 pack.

Richard
Of course it would be stupid to buy the 12 pack, while the offer runs.

If say, the 6 pack is usually £3.49 each, then when no offer is running, buying the 12 pack is better value (if you wish to buy that many in one go).

I'm not 100% on the actual law regarding offers, but I'll explain how ours work. Our normal promotions run for 4 weeks. So for a 4 week period, an item may be reduced, BOGOF, or on a multi buy. After that, the products will go back to their original price, they may go on offer again after another 4 week period, once a different promotion has run, they may not go on offer again for some time, that just depends, presumably on what deal is struck between the company and the suppliers.

Pong appears to have a more detailed knowledge of what is/isn't allowed, but your example certainly falls into a bog standard offer, nothing underhand or misleading. The example you have given, to me anyway, isn't a case of buyer beware, it's just a case of being savvy and keeping an eye on offers.
Old 20 November 2013, 12:24 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

Surely that is more a case of taste/liking a brand or particular item, than being fooled by any hype??????????? Buying a car is a big purchase and surely you have to get one that you like in terms of it's design, styling, drive, performance etc. If that happens to be a German (overpriced car) then that's the buyer's money. You might think it's overpriced, but if it ticks all the boxes for that particular person, then what's the problem?

Of course there will be people that see certain brands/products as a status symbol, but I bet for many it does just come down to taste.

That said, I do think perception of a brand may factor into a decision, but not necessarily from a snobby point of view, or being fooled by any hype. I would bet somewhere along the line, even you have made purchases and may still do, based on some sort of perception, even down to which shops you shop in.
Old 20 November 2013, 07:20 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you noticed the "50% Extra" type deals .. the price has gone up to match and it doesn't say free, but it tricks the customers into thinking they are getting something for nothing.

Quick Reply: Which Report - well would you believe it... supermarket special offers are a scam!