94 year old woman and barbed wire

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2002, 11:04 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Page 123 of Ceefax on BBC1 now!

A 94 year old woman near Northampton has finally been allowed by her council to put up barbed wire to stop burglars (after repeated burglaries).

However, "she has been warned she risked a costly lawsuit from burglars who injured themselves trying to break in"!!

What on earth is happening in this politically correct country of ours? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

In case the teletext expires, there is an old article from last year at http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/...00/1479852.stm where she was initially banned from putting up the wire.

I suppose that the Police are too busy sitting in their road safety vans to go out and catch burglars in the first place!

mb
Old 23 May 2002, 11:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

When I was a nipper there were millions of walls with broken glass embedded into the concrete along the top of the walls - nasty on the old knees!!

Are these illegal now?? havent seen many about?

I truly believe that you should be allowed to kill anyone who is harming you - that INCLUDES mentally!!!

Pete
Old 23 May 2002, 11:17 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Angry

That stinks[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It seems to me that the only people the police are protecting are themselves and criminals[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 23 May 2002, 11:39 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think she should be alright as long as there is a warning notice on the other side of the fence/wall. We asked the police about this after being burgled just after we moved in. We were told it was OK to put it up if a) it was to keep foxes out, and b) there was a sign on the other side warning people.

Personally, I think it serves them right if they cut themselves on it if they try it again thieving scumbags.

Oh, and the police unfortunately said razor wire wasn't allowed
Old 23 May 2002, 11:43 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I thought signs warning people of the danger were an admission of liability - hence the disappearance of "beware of the dog" type signs ?

Dont see how your own home should be any different to other property which has barbed wire ?

Deano
Old 23 May 2002, 11:56 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

This is the same council that banned another woman from using anti-climb paint - in case the burglar got dirty hands and messed up his clothes.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/...00/1493967.stm.

Crazy!

mb
Old 24 May 2002, 12:08 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

our school use to have broken glass embeded in the top of the wall to the bike sheds!!!

and when i worked at a swimming pool (yrs ago) we had to look all internal dors at night in case a burgler got in and found it easy to gain access to the pool area and drowned! (we would be at fault!)

Tiggs
Old 24 May 2002, 12:18 AM
Luke
BANNED

Angry

One thucked up Goverment.
Old 24 May 2002, 02:05 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

That is ridiculous, bloody useless police forces we have [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 24 May 2002, 07:35 AM
Luke
BANNED

Next they will be claiming stress from going to court and get paid £££££'s....in damages

[Edited by Luke - 5/24/2002 8:18:31 AM]
Old 24 May 2002, 09:37 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ahem...

The officers on the beat are dog-sick of this kind of stuff, but they are having to enforce the law as layed down by those socially inept types called Politicians...

Old 24 May 2002, 09:46 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Angry

Stop blaming the common copper.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=99038

They are faced by the same BS!
Old 24 May 2002, 09:47 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I have two friends who are policemen and believe me this kind of stuff makes them sick too - they'd like nothing more than to bang the b4stards up but they have to enforce the law, the laws that are made by the politicians [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

<rant mode on>
It staggers me that some **** is sitting there at a desk making decisions that mean if a burgler gets injured trying to break into your home they can sue you for it! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] What a truely fine piece of decision making that was, who the **** are these people? what kind of wierd world do they live in 'cos it sure ain't the one I'm in [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I'd love to find out where they live, send a burgler in, tell him to get injured on their property then sue the b4stids for every penny...
</rant mode off>

God it makes me want to scream....

Disclaimer: I realise that the above is a somewhat simplistic view but you know what I mean...

Sal

[Edited by scoobychick - 5/24/2002 9:48:36 AM]
Old 24 May 2002, 10:25 AM
saxodriver
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

I think it's ridiculous (sp?)

How can defending your life/property when it's at risk from harm/damage potentially get you in trouble!?!

After being a victim of crime myself, I would now do anyhting to protect myself or my property if it wasn't for the fact that I'd probably get in trouble for it.

My cousin is a seargant with Thames Valley Police, and is currently having to defend himself against a man on a charge of GBH, because he had to sit on him to arrest him, due to the fact that the criminal was laying into any officer that went near him.

Makes you sick.
Old 24 May 2002, 11:58 AM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Angry

When Mrs Barber was told to take down the barbed wire around her bungalow, her son Burt said removing it was "a charter for burglars".

He said: "Nobody has told the Queen that she has to take down the barbed wire around the back of Buckingham Palace."

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Old 24 May 2002, 12:22 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Why can't judges as the arbiters of 'justice' just throw these things out of court?
Old 24 May 2002, 12:24 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Great story a couple of months back...

Bloke (calling police) "My shed is being burgled at this very moment"

Police "Sorry sir, we don't have anyone that can respond. There is nothing we can do."

Bloke argues that he can see the burglar as he is talking, but gets no where.

2 minutes later, bloke rings back and says "No hurry now on that burglary, I've just shot him".

Within minutes, the house was surrounded by six Police cars and a Police helicopter was overhead.

Result: Burglar nicked, bloke threatened with possible prosecution for wasting police time. Of course, he didn't even own a gun and had shot no one.
Old 24 May 2002, 06:43 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

The BBC have finally got around to posting the story.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/...00/2005854.stm

Total madness!

mb
Old 27 May 2002, 10:46 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My Dad read the article to me yesterday. Fecking typical, we try to protect our property and if the poor ol thieve hurtst themseleves they can sue US and WIN. WTF is this about!

I know it's not the coppers fault, it's the beauracisy in the system/government.

We should be free to protect our property, if that means razor wire then so be it. The gits should not be on our property in the first place.

Society is messed up, but what can we do. If it's not crap like this then it's the whole PC thing.
Old 27 May 2002, 10:53 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guy over road from me his house backs onto a steep hill at the top of a supermarket car park.. so fed up of people trying to rob him, by coming over the fence... he now has razor wire all across the top of his 8ft fence... this has been threre at least 10 years... and he has painted razor wire and arrows pointing across the back of the whole fence!!! No probs as yet.

David