Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tiredness.....

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2013, 01:07 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiredness.....

.....is it just symptomatic of modern life or cause for concern?

Probably something you hear a lot is people saying how knackered they are but when does it become a real issue?

I'd say that I feel pretty tired the majority of the time. Having a 2.5 year old and a 5 month old you may think it was to be expected but they do sleep fairly well, the eldest sleeps through most of the time, the youngest typically wakes only once, often the wife will get up and sort her out without me even noticing.

During the week I seem to suffer a mid afternoon lull at work where I do feel I could easily lie down and have a kip. Coffee makes the effect worse as it will initially wake me but then be followed by big crash in my general tiredness. I must admit that over the last few years I've found my concentration at work is suffering somewhat.

Not so bad in the evenings and try to be in bed by 11pm (never been one for a really early night) so I get 7-8 hrs kip. However if I've had a few glasses of wine I really struggle to stay awake while watching the TV (this may be normal!).

Should I have any concerns or am I just being the worried well?

And I do know that losing a few lb, doing some regular exercise, etc. would really help matters but it's difficult to fit it all in these days

Last edited by Graz; 04 November 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04 November 2013, 01:17 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably an age thing, seasonal too with the dark mornings now.

Perhaps it's your bed? Do you feel well rested after a night's sleep?

How much coffee do you drink per day?
Old 04 November 2013, 01:28 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
.....is it just symptomatic of modern life or cause for concern?

Probably something you hear a lot is people saying how knackered they are but when does it become a real issue?

I'd say that I feel pretty tired the majority of the time. Having a 2.5 year old and a 5 month old you may think it was to be expected but they do sleep fairly well, the eldest sleeps through most of the time, the youngest typically wakes only once, often the wife will get up and sort her out without me even noticing.

During the week I seem to suffer a mid afternoon lull at work where I do feel I could easily lie down and have a kip. Coffee makes the effect worse as it will initially wake me but then be followed by big crash in my general tiredness. I must admit that over the last few years I've found my concentration at work is suffering somewhat.

Not so bad in the evenings and try to be in bed by 11pm (never been one for a really early night) so I get 7-8 hrs kip. However if I've had a few glasses of wine I really struggle to stay awake while watching the TV (this may be normal!).

Should I have any concerns or am I just being the worried well?

And I do know that losing a few lb, doing some regular exercise, etc. would really help matters but it's difficult to fit it all in these days

Sounds like me you were describing there!
Old 04 November 2013, 01:28 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Check out 'adrenal fatigue'

I'd put money on it that you are suffering
Old 04 November 2013, 01:30 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I suffered from chronic fatigue after several bad stomach illnesses. Took me ages to recover and now I'm pretty much OK.
However I still feel tired most of the time as I have a 1 year old lad and we always have broken sleep.
Old 04 November 2013, 01:31 PM
andylinney
Scooby Regular

Similar here, stressful job - toddler - not enough time in the day and it soon catches up with you.

I think it's a cumulative thing too, so a few bad days can decimate anything you had in reserve leaving you feeling totally knackered.

I've just gone cold turkey on Tea and Coffee plus the short days and I'm ruined just now.
Old 04 November 2013, 01:32 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Go to the docs and ask them to check your iron levels. Are you eating well? Drinking enough? What activities do you do out of work? Cycling etc?
Old 04 November 2013, 01:48 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I have felt knackered the last few days,yesterday i went to bed in the afternoon,very unusual for me.
I think its down to maybe change in weather/season dark nights happening earlier…
exercise can give you a real boost if you have time for it..
Old 04 November 2013, 02:45 PM
NuNu9977
Scooby Regular

Drink more clear fluids, always help.
Old 04 November 2013, 02:57 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by NuNu9977
Drink more clear fluids, always help.
Gin
Old 04 November 2013, 03:22 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Could be type 2 diabetes
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabete...roduction.aspx

In any case, go to the doctors and get yourself checked out. Best to get these things picked up as early as possible and for your peace of mind.
Old 04 November 2013, 04:37 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I'm the same these past few months are bad, I can't get through a day off with out falling to sleep
Old 04 November 2013, 04:45 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Probably best not to ask for medical advice on a Subaru car forum.
Get yourself off to the docs.
Old 04 November 2013, 05:03 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Probably best not to ask for medical advice on a Subaru car forum.
Get yourself off to the docs.
Good advice, and dont google it either otherwise you'll convince yourself you have some sort of incurable disease or somthing, i once heard that if you dont get enough sleep it will eventually catch up with you, it could take months but it will catch up with you.

A bit like the inland revenue;-)
Old 04 November 2013, 05:21 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Ive just climbed into bed actually but thats probably the effects of a 18hour binge on Sat night Sun morning! I do suffer from tiredness in General, I stopped drinking coffee and found I felt much better each day onwards. Might be worth giving it up.
Old 04 November 2013, 06:07 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Gin
Old 04 November 2013, 06:07 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I used to feel tired and could easily nap in the early evenings. I have over the past year got much fitter through cycling and insanity training, haha, lost a fair bit of weight and now can do pretty much any task and easily last the day. I do feel tired after a good workout, but it's a good type of tiredness.
Old 04 November 2013, 06:15 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LDNSTi
Go to the docs and ask them to check your iron levels. Are you eating well? Drinking enough? What activities do you do out of work? Cycling etc?
+1

Lots of people on here saying it might this medical problem or that one, but start from the bottom, the basic things.

1). Do you have a decent, balanced diet (healthy eating, plenty of fruit and veg etc)

2). Are you properly hydrated (and I mean with water, not energy drinks, tea, coffee, squash etc. WATER!!!!)

3). Do you get enough sleep?

4). Do you do any exercise at all, preferably cardiovascular
Old 04 November 2013, 06:33 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Check out type 2 diabetes as said.

And underactive thyroid.

Then go see a doctor, and be told to change your diet and do some exercise.
Old 04 November 2013, 06:41 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Might be worth seeing a Dr, but IIRC being 'tired' is the most common reason for GP visits, and we know GP's are moaning now about their workload.

Being tired in modern society isn't a surprise as we work incredibly long hours, not according to any 'natural' rhythms but to the rhythms of machines.

Did you know that prior to the industrial revolution you had 'variable hours'; the working day was according to daylight, and daylight was spilt into the same number of hours. People worked according to this natural rhythm.
Old 04 November 2013, 06:42 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

i can go all night..............
Old 04 November 2013, 06:46 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
i can go all night..............
Old 04 November 2013, 07:21 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

asking on scoobynet for advice about something serious?

Cant be that worried about it.
Old 05 November 2013, 09:24 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
asking on scoobynet for advice about something serious?

Cant be that worried about it.
Morning

Feeling more tired today but then that is directly attributable to our baby girl having a bad night, I had sleep but it was broken.

I appreciate that if you think something is wrong then the doctors should be your first port of call however I don't like to waste their time if it's just a fact of life. This is why I was asking the views of the SNet regulars.

I'm generally a well person, think I've been to the docs twice in the last 20 years, once with an eye infection, and more recently with a bad back, that was more to get signed off as I knew the only thing to sort it was time and pain killers (got a big box of co-codamol as well).

I agree with all most of the stuff regarding diet, exercise, etc. Think I need to shake things up a little. My diet isn't bad but I do need to eat a bit less and have a bit more veg and fruit. Never entirely agreed with the drink gallons of water ethic, I've tried it and it never seems to make much difference except needing to wee a lot The obvious exception is if you are doing physical stuff and then I do try to have plenty. The advice these days is to drink at least 2 litres of fluid a day but that can include tea, coffee etc. I may try giving up the caffeine but I do love a cup of tea

Definitely need more exercise, there was a point in my life when I felt my absolute best and that was when I was doing a hour of circuit training twice a week as well as a long walk or ride on the mountain bike at the weekends. Weirdly it was also the point in my life when I was doing a fair bit of partying but was always keen to walk it off on a Sunday morning. The hangovers seemed to go after a mile or two

Think I'll try to be a bit more healthy for a while and see if it make a difference, possibly a good excuse to buy that new bike If I'm still knackered in a month or two then I'll seek help
Old 05 November 2013, 10:42 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Personally if it is worrying you then go to the doctors, we pay their wages, and it is their job to deal with schedules etc. So I hardly see it as wasting their time, more like making them work for their money.

Its what they are there for, you should never hesitate to go and see someone WE employ to look after US if something is worrying you, no matter how big or small it may seem

Morning

Feeling more tired today but then that is directly attributable to our baby girl having a bad night, I had sleep but it was broken.

I appreciate that if you think something is wrong then the doctors should be your first port of call however I don't like to waste their time if it's just a fact of life. This is why I was asking the views of the SNet regulars.

I'm generally a well person, think I've been to the docs twice in the last 20 years, once with an eye infection, and more recently with a bad back, that was more to get signed off as I knew the only thing to sort it was time and pain killers (got a big box of co-codamol as well).

I agree with all most of the stuff regarding diet, exercise, etc. Think I need to shake things up a little. My diet isn't bad but I do need to eat a bit less and have a bit more veg and fruit. Never entirely agreed with the drink gallons of water ethic, I've tried it and it never seems to make much difference except needing to wee a lot The obvious exception is if you are doing physical stuff and then I do try to have plenty. The advice these days is to drink at least 2 litres of fluid a day but that can include tea, coffee etc. I may try giving up the caffeine but I do love a cup of tea

Definitely need more exercise, there was a point in my life when I felt my absolute best and that was when I was doing a hour of circuit training twice a week as well as a long walk or ride on the mountain bike at the weekends. Weirdly it was also the point in my life when I was doing a fair bit of partying but was always keen to walk it off on a Sunday morning. The hangovers seemed to go after a mile or two

Think I'll try to be a bit more healthy for a while and see if it make a difference, possibly a good excuse to buy that new bike If I'm still knackered in a month or two then I'll seek help
Old 05 November 2013, 10:42 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Morning

Men in general always try to avoid going to the doctors. It's not wasting their time, it's what they are there for. It will cost you nothing other than some of your time and they may see something that you may have never considered. Use the health service, you pay for it through your taxes/NI. I'm no hypercondriac but I would rather "waste" their time than leave my health to chance. You have nothing to lose by going.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8154200.stm