ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tiredness..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/989318-tiredness.html)

Graz 04 November 2013 01:07 PM

Tiredness.....

.....is it just symptomatic of modern life or cause for concern?

Probably something you hear a lot is people saying how knackered they are but when does it become a real issue?

I'd say that I feel pretty tired the majority of the time. Having a 2.5 year old and a 5 month old you may think it was to be expected but they do sleep fairly well, the eldest sleeps through most of the time, the youngest typically wakes only once, often the wife will get up and sort her out without me even noticing.

During the week I seem to suffer a mid afternoon lull at work where I do feel I could easily lie down and have a kip. Coffee makes the effect worse as it will initially wake me but then be followed by big crash in my general tiredness. I must admit that over the last few years I've found my concentration at work is suffering somewhat.

Not so bad in the evenings and try to be in bed by 11pm (never been one for a really early night) so I get 7-8 hrs kip. However if I've had a few glasses of wine I really struggle to stay awake while watching the TV (this may be normal!).

Should I have any concerns or am I just being the worried well?

And I do know that losing a few lb, doing some regular exercise, etc. would really help matters but it's difficult to fit it all in these days :cry:

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 04 November 2013 01:17 PM

Probably an age thing, seasonal too with the dark mornings now.

Perhaps it's your bed? Do you feel well rested after a night's sleep?

How much coffee do you drink per day?

ScoobP1 04 November 2013 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Graz (Post 11255113)
.....is it just symptomatic of modern life or cause for concern?

Probably something you hear a lot is people saying how knackered they are but when does it become a real issue?

I'd say that I feel pretty tired the majority of the time. Having a 2.5 year old and a 5 month old you may think it was to be expected but they do sleep fairly well, the eldest sleeps through most of the time, the youngest typically wakes only once, often the wife will get up and sort her out without me even noticing.

During the week I seem to suffer a mid afternoon lull at work where I do feel I could easily lie down and have a kip. Coffee makes the effect worse as it will initially wake me but then be followed by big crash in my general tiredness. I must admit that over the last few years I've found my concentration at work is suffering somewhat.

Not so bad in the evenings and try to be in bed by 11pm (never been one for a really early night) so I get 7-8 hrs kip. However if I've had a few glasses of wine I really struggle to stay awake while watching the TV (this may be normal!).

Should I have any concerns or am I just being the worried well?

And I do know that losing a few lb, doing some regular exercise, etc. would really help matters but it's difficult to fit it all in these days :cry:

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Sounds like me you were describing there!

SiPie 04 November 2013 01:28 PM

Check out 'adrenal fatigue'

I'd put money on it that you are suffering

Fantom 04 November 2013 01:30 PM

I suffered from chronic fatigue after several bad stomach illnesses. Took me ages to recover and now I'm pretty much OK.
However I still feel tired most of the time as I have a 1 year old lad and we always have broken sleep.

andylinney 04 November 2013 01:31 PM

Similar here, stressful job - toddler - not enough time in the day and it soon catches up with you.

I think it's a cumulative thing too, so a few bad days can decimate anything you had in reserve leaving you feeling totally knackered.

I've just gone cold turkey on Tea and Coffee plus the short days and I'm ruined just now.

LDNSTi 04 November 2013 01:32 PM

Go to the docs and ask them to check your iron levels. Are you eating well? Drinking enough? What activities do you do out of work? Cycling etc?

DYK 04 November 2013 01:48 PM

I have felt knackered the last few days,yesterday i went to bed in the afternoon,very unusual for me.
I think its down to maybe change in weather/season dark nights happening earlier…
exercise can give you a real boost if you have time for it..

NuNu9977 04 November 2013 02:45 PM

Drink more clear fluids, always help.

SJ_Skyline 04 November 2013 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by NuNu9977 (Post 11255204)
Drink more clear fluids, always help.

Gin :thumb:

jonc 04 November 2013 03:22 PM

Could be type 2 diabetes
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabete...roduction.aspx

In any case, go to the doctors and get yourself checked out. Best to get these things picked up as early as possible and for your peace of mind.

Ant 04 November 2013 04:37 PM

I'm the same these past few months are bad, I can't get through a day off with out falling to sleep

urban 04 November 2013 04:45 PM

Probably best not to ask for medical advice on a Subaru car forum.
Get yourself off to the docs.

gazney101 04 November 2013 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11255268)
Probably best not to ask for medical advice on a Subaru car forum.
Get yourself off to the docs.

Good advice, and dont google it either otherwise you'll convince yourself you have some sort of incurable disease or somthing, i once heard that if you dont get enough sleep it will eventually catch up with you, it could take months but it will catch up with you.

A bit like the inland revenue;-)

davegtt 04 November 2013 05:21 PM

Ive just climbed into bed actually but thats probably the effects of a 18hour binge on Sat night Sun morning! I do suffer from tiredness in General, I stopped drinking coffee and found I felt much better each day onwards. Might be worth giving it up.

DYK 04 November 2013 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 11255213)
Gin :thumb:

:lol::lol:

andy97 04 November 2013 06:07 PM

I used to feel tired and could easily nap in the early evenings. I have over the past year got much fitter through cycling and insanity training, haha, lost a fair bit of weight and now can do pretty much any task and easily last the day. I do feel tired after a good workout, but it's a good type of tiredness.

Peedee 04 November 2013 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by LDNSTi (Post 11255139)
Go to the docs and ask them to check your iron levels. Are you eating well? Drinking enough? What activities do you do out of work? Cycling etc?

+1

Lots of people on here saying it might this medical problem or that one, but start from the bottom, the basic things.

1). Do you have a decent, balanced diet (healthy eating, plenty of fruit and veg etc)

2). Are you properly hydrated (and I mean with water, not energy drinks, tea, coffee, squash etc. WATER!!!!)

3). Do you get enough sleep?

4). Do you do any exercise at all, preferably cardiovascular

c_maguire 04 November 2013 06:33 PM

Check out type 2 diabetes as said.

And underactive thyroid.

Then go see a doctor, and be told to change your diet and do some exercise.

tony de wonderful 04 November 2013 06:41 PM

Might be worth seeing a Dr, but IIRC being 'tired' is the most common reason for GP visits, and we know GP's are moaning now about their workload.

Being tired in modern society isn't a surprise as we work incredibly long hours, not according to any 'natural' rhythms but to the rhythms of machines.

Did you know that prior to the industrial revolution you had 'variable hours'; the working day was according to daylight, and daylight was spilt into the same number of hours. People worked according to this natural rhythm.

tubbytommy 04 November 2013 06:42 PM

i can go all night..............

LDNSTi 04 November 2013 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11255393)
i can go all night..............

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JGlanzaV 04 November 2013 07:21 PM

asking on scoobynet for advice about something serious?

Cant be that worried about it.

Graz 05 November 2013 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11255458)
asking on scoobynet for advice about something serious?

Cant be that worried about it.

Morning :sleep:

Feeling more tired today but then that is directly attributable to our baby girl having a bad night, I had sleep but it was broken.

I appreciate that if you think something is wrong then the doctors should be your first port of call however I don't like to waste their time if it's just a fact of life. This is why I was asking the views of the SNet regulars.

I'm generally a well person, think I've been to the docs twice in the last 20 years, once with an eye infection, and more recently with a bad back, that was more to get signed off as I knew the only thing to sort it was time and pain killers (got a big box of co-codamol as well).

I agree with all most of the stuff regarding diet, exercise, etc. Think I need to shake things up a little. My diet isn't bad but I do need to eat a bit less and have a bit more veg and fruit. Never entirely agreed with the drink gallons of water ethic, I've tried it and it never seems to make much difference except needing to wee a lot :lol1: The obvious exception is if you are doing physical stuff and then I do try to have plenty. The advice these days is to drink at least 2 litres of fluid a day but that can include tea, coffee etc. I may try giving up the caffeine but I do love a cup of tea :)

Definitely need more exercise, there was a point in my life when I felt my absolute best and that was when I was doing a hour of circuit training twice a week as well as a long walk or ride on the mountain bike at the weekends. Weirdly it was also the point in my life when I was doing a fair bit of partying but was always keen to walk it off on a Sunday morning. The hangovers seemed to go after a mile or two :D

Think I'll try to be a bit more healthy for a while and see if it make a difference, possibly a good excuse to buy that new bike :) If I'm still knackered in a month or two then I'll seek help

JGlanzaV 05 November 2013 10:42 AM

Personally if it is worrying you then go to the doctors, we pay their wages, and it is their job to deal with schedules etc. So I hardly see it as wasting their time, more like making them work for their money.

Its what they are there for, you should never hesitate to go and see someone WE employ to look after US if something is worrying you, no matter how big or small it may seem

Originally Posted by Graz (Post 11255870)

Feeling more tired today but then that is directly attributable to our baby girl having a bad night, I had sleep but it was broken.

I appreciate that if you think something is wrong then the doctors should be your first port of call however I don't like to waste their time if it's just a fact of life. This is why I was asking the views of the SNet regulars.

I'm generally a well person, think I've been to the docs twice in the last 20 years, once with an eye infection, and more recently with a bad back, that was more to get signed off as I knew the only thing to sort it was time and pain killers (got a big box of co-codamol as well).

I agree with all most of the stuff regarding diet, exercise, etc. Think I need to shake things up a little. My diet isn't bad but I do need to eat a bit less and have a bit more veg and fruit. Never entirely agreed with the drink gallons of water ethic, I've tried it and it never seems to make much difference except needing to wee a lot :lol1: The obvious exception is if you are doing physical stuff and then I do try to have plenty. The advice these days is to drink at least 2 litres of fluid a day but that can include tea, coffee etc. I may try giving up the caffeine but I do love a cup of tea :)

Definitely need more exercise, there was a point in my life when I felt my absolute best and that was when I was doing a hour of circuit training twice a week as well as a long walk or ride on the mountain bike at the weekends. Weirdly it was also the point in my life when I was doing a fair bit of partying but was always keen to walk it off on a Sunday morning. The hangovers seemed to go after a mile or two :D

Think I'll try to be a bit more healthy for a while and see if it make a difference, possibly a good excuse to buy that new bike :) If I'm still knackered in a month or two then I'll seek help

jonc 05 November 2013 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Graz (Post 11255870)

Men in general always try to avoid going to the doctors. It's not wasting their time, it's what they are there for. It will cost you nothing other than some of your time and they may see something that you may have never considered. Use the health service, you pay for it through your taxes/NI. I'm no hypercondriac but I would rather "waste" their time than leave my health to chance. You have nothing to lose by going. :thumb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8154200.stm