Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whats the chances?

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2013, 11:14 AM
idf101
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whats the chances?

Just wondering if any one out there had ever had a "Whats the chance of that happening" moment, not De Ja Vu as such but really strange happenings I have had two:

First one was when a few years ago I was having a shave with the TV on in the background and as I was shaving I recalled when as teenagers a friend advised on how not to get shaving rashes, just as I then finished a report came on the local news about a car crash and a witness was being interviewed yes it was my friend who I had not seen for years who had gave me advise.

Second one when I lived in Israel in the early 80s the land border with Egypt had opened so I visited for a couple of days, I stopped in a village outside Cairo for a cup of coffee as I entered I noticed a European looking guy (Remember Egypt was not as popular then as it is now) so we struck up conversation turned out he was not only English but from my home town, he said he had came out last week and the night before he left he went to a pub we both knew and had a conversation with a guy in there telling him of his plans, this guy said he had a friend in the middle east but in Israel not Egypt, yes you guessed it that was me!!!

Even now when I think about these things it sends a tingle up the old spine!! any of you guys had similar happen??

Cheers
Old 03 October 2013, 03:19 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

World is a small place is not just a saying you know
Old 03 October 2013, 04:30 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having a cup of coffee with a friend before flying out to Vegas the following week, he gives me a tenner and asks me to place a bet on Roulette for him while out there.
I ask him what number he wants it on. He looks at the tenner and notices it's got some pen scribbled on it.. "9 0 4", so he says, it's fate, put it on 13 (9+0+4).

So when I get there, I put $15 I reserved for him down all on 13. $535.

Split the winnings down the middle.

(Of course I know exactly what the chances are of this happening! But still, funny.)

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 03 October 2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03 October 2013, 05:26 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Had one recently...

Out of hospital after having operation on my back. Following day Phone rings..

"Hi, is xxxx there?"
"No, you must the the wrong number"

Now, my home phone never rings. I'm ex directory.

20 secs later, phone rings again.

Her "ah, it's you again. Don't understand she gave me this number"
Me "well, sorry but it's not right"
Her "It's my friend she lives in xxxx road, Ashford. I live in Wales"
Me "That's funny, my grandparents live there"
Her "Oh strange, I just got out of hospital yesterday & wanted to fill her in"
Me "Funny, I got out of hospital yesterday too"
Her "I've just had an op on my back"
Me "err, me too"
Her "had prolapsed disc, buggered my leg, had discectemy"
Me "yep, exactly the same"

Had a bit of a chat. Was quite odd to get a wrong number from someone that lives hundreds of miles away, has a friend that lives in the same rd as my grand parents and had just got out if hospital same day as me having the same operation.

Think it's the 3rd wrong number I've had in 12 years living here & that happens! Weird.
Old 03 October 2013, 05:49 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Happenes to me all the time , mostly tiny random things , nothing overly memorable either , but it freaks me out at the time.
Old 04 October 2013, 04:26 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many many stories but tonight's will stick in my mind for a while.

Setting the context, I've spent almost half of the last year working out of Southern California and this evening I was at the bar in my hotel talking with a total stranger. As the conversation progresses we realise that we are both in the same business albeit he as a supplier and me as a client. I'm out here managing a systems deployment project and it transpired that he was the VP of the company that lost the bid to deploy the system. Free drinks for me tonight as he wants to win the next phase of the project!

Yes, it's a small world!
Old 04 October 2013, 12:42 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

The other week I was driving home from work after picking my son Richard up along the way from his friends house, we are nearly home and my phone rings so I pull over and answer it (a private number);
"hello it's hughes insurance, can I speak to Richard ------ ?"
"errr ok" with a confused look on my face I pass over the phone
"hello"
"hello, can I speak to you about your house insurance ?"
"I'm 16 and live with my parents so don't have any house insurance"
"ok sorry, we must have the wrong number, bye"

whats the chances of ringing the wrong number and getting my phone and then speaking to a person that has the same name as the one you are looking for, i haven't picked up my son on the way home in ages either so he just happened to be in the car on that day

windyboy
Old 04 October 2013, 08:42 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I don't keep a tab on such happenings as they happen a lot, but one happening does stand out for me. I often visit different maze-like venues with my work that I don't know the inside layout of, at all. I get to the reception, the receptionist confuses me with take-left-then-right-then-left-and-then-tunnel- then-take-the-lift-then left, right, left, right....... crappy directions. But to my pleasant surprise, I always find someone who is going 'that way' with a bulk of papers under their arm, and they kindly ask me to follow them. It really saves a hell of a lot of time and trouble for me. How do I keep finding my random North Stars like that, I do not know. Unexplainable phenomenon for sure.
Old 04 October 2013, 09:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had a whole month in which absolutely nothing strange or coincidental has happened

I mean what are the chances of that
Old 04 October 2013, 09:26 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

In fact on reflection make that a whole year

But a couple of years ago i was brushing brushing my teeth singing "take on me" to myself and fvck me, i turned on the radio, and the weirdest thing

Abba was playing, i **** you not
Old 04 October 2013, 09:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

But a couple of years ago i was brushing brushing my teeth singing "take on me" to myself and fvck me, i turned on the radio, and the weirdest thing

Wow, that's amazing!

Honestly, it is quite amazing.
Old 04 October 2013, 09:34 PM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

a good number of years ago i was on a lads holiday in tenerife, in the same apartments there were a group of lads from wales who we called the welsh boys, they in return called us the scarborough boys!! we kept bumping into them around the complex and on the trips etc. one of the welsh boys was called rosie, he had bright blond hair like what young kids have, but rare in adults. none of the other welsh boys had much time for him and were always whinging about him, it turned out he'd invited himself onto the holiday by saying to each of the leaders in the 2 smaller groups that made up the welsh boys, that the other had invited him - if that makes sense!! ? so for these reasons, rosie was memorable!

a few years after tenerife i was on a 2 weeks in spain holiday, after the 1st week the hotel was overbooked and they were after volunteers to transfer to their fancier hotel half an hour or so up the road and our group took them up on it. after a day or so in the new hotel i spotted a dude in the bar who looked like rosie. i dismissed it as no chance and thinking he just looks like him, but i saw a few more times over the next few days and i was convinced enough to go up to him and say "are you rosie?" it was rosie !! what are the chances?
Old 05 October 2013, 10:57 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Creepiest one for me is the following.

Had a one nighter with a lass back in 2002 (as you do), and forgot about it (as you do).

Summer 2003 and I took my mum and brother on holiday to Ichmeler in Turkey. Yep, you guessed it, same flight, same coach transfer, same hotel and same two weeks. Luckily the little blond lad with her looked about 5/6 Phew!
Old 05 October 2013, 11:30 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

Abba playing an A-ha song ? That was a bit weird.
Old 06 October 2013, 12:44 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I remember being on lunch at work and going to the local chippy.

Stood in the queue, day dreaming as there were a couple of people in front of me and a random though popped into my head. "I wonder what would happen if you gave the cashier a £20 and she only gave you change for a tenner?!"

As you do lol.

I'd literally just finished my random thought and the woman being served two people in front of me says to the cashier "I gave you a twenty!".

Weird!

And yesterday, I sold a GoPro to a guy on a forum, who turned out to live 5mins down the road and he came to collect it on his push bike haha. Very small world!
Old 13 October 2013, 03:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Well, I did some shopping at the Tesco yesterday and helped myself at the self-service checkout. For some reason, a thought came in my mind that the machine would spit out a defective note to me in change. Well, it certainly did. The fiver I received from it was torn and stuck back with cello tape. They exchanged for an intact one at their Customer Services, but what's strange is that I hardly check my change, and just bag whatever is returned to me. How come I knew that the note would come out to be a torn one? How did I know?? Mind boggles.

The other thing was when I took a mug of coffee to the toilet after arriving home from work, only a couple of days ago. I took my iPhone with me as well, to read my personal emails. An email came from my younger brother in India, who said- "Dear sister, do you remember you used to take coffee to toilet when you lived here? Do you still do that?" He's always reminding me of the little most things about my childhood that I barely remember. So very touching, but that's beside the point. See, I don't even drink coffee any more. It was just a one-off when I fancied coffee for a change. I hardly take my drinks to toilet now. But on that occasion, I was sitting on the toilet seat, sipping on my coffee, and reading the email from 5,000 miles away that told me exactly what I was doing at that very moment. Very strange, that.
Old 13 October 2013, 08:05 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Well, I did some shopping at the Tesco yesterday and helped myself at the self-service checkout. For some reason, a thought came in my mind that the machine would spit out a defective note to me in change. Well, it certainly did. The fiver I received from it was torn and stuck back with cello tape. They exchanged for an intact one at their Customer Services, but what's strange is that I hardly check my change, and just bag whatever is returned to me. How come I knew that the note would come out to be a torn one? How did I know?? Mind boggles.

The other thing was when I took a mug of coffee to the toilet after arriving home from work, only a couple of days ago. I took my iPhone with me as well, to read my personal emails. An email came from my younger brother in India, who said- "Dear sister, do you remember you used to take coffee to toilet when you lived here? Do you still do that?" He's always reminding me of the little most things about my childhood that I barely remember. So very touching, but that's beside the point. See, I don't even drink coffee any more. It was just a one-off when I fancied coffee for a change. I hardly take my drinks to toilet now. But on that occasion, I was sitting on the toilet seat, sipping on my coffee, and reading the email from 5,000 miles away that told me exactly what I was doing at that very moment. Very strange, that.
Reading on the toilet is one thing. Drinking coffee thats another ball game... Either you drink fast or are planning a long stay.. Wonder what the room smells like after a turd & coffee
Old 13 October 2013, 08:06 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I lead a boring life but vics mum always spots someone she knows no matter where we are.

Disney florida, st lucia, cambridge and even clacton..
Old 13 October 2013, 08:11 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

My uncle moved to Texas before I was born. When I was 8 we went to Florida and did all the attractions and one day went to Sea World. Some bloke started calling after my Mum, and it was my uncle.
Old 13 October 2013, 09:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Reading on the toilet is one thing. Drinking coffee thats another ball game... Either you drink fast or are planning a long stay.. Wonder what the room smells like after a turd & coffee
I don't drink fast, I hardly drink coffee, and I don't always plan a long stay. But you know what it's like when you have your iPhone on you. You may stay on the toilet seat browsing your emails etc. or even Scoobynet. You don't realise that just a wee stay has taken over 15 minutes due to your internet surfing.

I don't know what the room smells like after the turd and coffee, Rob. I don't intentionally fill my nostrils with the smell of the aftermath. I have one of them air fresheners that sprays off voluntarily every so often, and I tend to think that it quenches all the bad odours.

Anyway, Coffee isn't that bad whilst on the toilet. We even have someone here who takes his full English breakfast to his toilet and eats it whilst evacuating number 2 from other end. There's a thread somewhere here with his post to prove that.
Old 13 October 2013, 09:54 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Wonder what the room smells like after a turd & coffee
Starbucks?

Originally Posted by Turbohot
We even have someone here who takes his full English breakfast to his toilet and eats it whilst evacuating number 2 from other end.
Or he could chuck it down the pan and cut out the middleman.
Old 13 October 2013, 10:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
Or he could chuck it down the pan and cut out the middleman.
There's a thought, but what about the middleman's hunger and nutrition that his body needs? He can't live on thin air, even when he can stop eating whilst on the bog- that's if he wants.
Old 16 October 2013, 10:18 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

One day in the car with my wife (was gf back then) and randomly both exactly at the same time started singing "chick chick chick chick chicken, lay a little egg for me"

Now, nothing has been on the radio, nothing prompted it. It was completely random.