Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HELP - anyone live near or visiting Fistral Beach Newquay soon?

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2013, 11:46 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - anyone live near or visiting Fistral Beach Newquay soon?

Got 2 parking charge notices from those scammers Parking Eye,
If any of you have ever been to Fistral, then you know the carpark overlooking the beach, we just drove in (2 nights on the trot), parked overlooking the beach to watch the surfers for about an hour, didnt get out of the car as it was raining, so didnt even go to the ticket machine, signs are not obvious that you need a ticket (unless I guess you visit the machine), now a week after returning home 2 Parking Charge Notices for 100 quid each (discounted to 60 quid if you pay up within 14 days), so I have appealed using online form, (awaiting their reply - which from reading on the web will be rejected anyway).

So - can anybody send me a picture of the signs as you enter the car park? (PM me if you wish).

Anybody else got caught here ????
I will never visit this beach ever again now.!!!!
Old 19 September 2013, 11:51 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Not seen them by that sounds harsh. Google Streetmap might help?
Old 19 September 2013, 12:20 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

tried that - its too out of date
Old 19 September 2013, 12:26 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a council parking charge?

If not you dont have to pay it anyways, tell them where to go
Old 19 September 2013, 12:28 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/rec...arking-tickets
Old 19 September 2013, 12:57 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Angry

No - not council -
apparently private property (fistral beach complex) with parking being run by Parking Eye, I dont intend to pay but you CANT just ignore, you have to appeal and go through POPLA, but i could REALLy do with some current pictures of the signs !!!

Plus tell EVERYONE you know about this new type of daylight robbery - especially those who visit Newquay were it is particularly prevelent.
Old 19 September 2013, 12:59 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

It isnt enforceable though, just tell them to stick their ticket up their ****
Old 19 September 2013, 01:26 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

If its private, they can whistle. Now they can't clamp, they're powerless.
Old 19 September 2013, 01:30 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Audiman...........you CAN just ignore it
I have a whole folder full of their letters and threats of court action etc. Once you've had about 7 letters you never hear from them again
Its very very very unlikely they will take you to court
Old 19 September 2013, 03:49 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys,
I will see how it pans out, I had already sent appeals for both via their web site, which I am informed by the web will get rejected anyway, BUT they then MUST provice me with a POPLA code - if they dont then they are stuffed, and even if they do I then appeal to them and it costs PE 30quid a go and they will lose so the word is they dont bother,

I think they just rely on sending out thousands of these, and manage to stay afloat because a % of people just pay up..

There is tons of stuff about them on the web !! not till you get caught that you even know this goes on.

Oh and just as an aside I have written to Cornwall council and the owner of the Fistral Beach complex letting them know I wont be back anytime soon. And will let all my freinds and forum friends know about how they treat visitors to Newquay.
If any of you have been there recently you will probably agree they dont really need any bad press !! place is just a dive now !
Old 19 September 2013, 04:11 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Just another nod for ignoring it. I have had and ignored a few. As long as they are not Police or Council notices then they will threaten for a bit hoping you will bottle it and pay.

Just ignore them.
Old 19 September 2013, 04:31 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Nope - I did the ignore thing with Parking Eye from January - now summonsed to court for non-payment - I have lodged my 'intention to fully dispute claim' now have 14 days to sort my defence....

Parking Eye have put a Bulk Court Order through Nottingham County Court Bulk processing centre... so make sure you DO appeal to POPLA first.... it will look good in the eyes of the judge.

I am now waiting for my day in court as I the carpark I parked on was free for 3 hrs - it has ALWAYS been free for the last 20yrs! then one day we go on and have a letter a few days later - I don't believe the signage was adequate - as we never saw them! They have since increased the signage on this carpark IMHO, as recently went back and there are loads of signs now!

So watch out - they DO take you to court these days! Unfortunately I am living proof of that

p.s have read on the web that the carpark in Fistral has caught out LOADS recently - people are up in arms about it....

Parking Eye = PREDATORY SCUM..... and breeaathe
Old 19 September 2013, 05:23 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I thought the main reason they never took anyone to court was because the charge they try to levy does not reflect the money lost to the private company owning the land of you not buying a ticket. They're allowed to include a small admin charge but it should be small.

So you not buying a £3 parking ticket means that the private company lost £3. They can't invoice you (it is just an invoice) for £100.

They would rather have 90% of people paying £100 and 10% of people ignoring it than go to court only for the judge to rule that £100 is far too high and suddenly they can only charge £5\£10 etc.

A council parking ticket of £100 is different because that is a "fine" and doesn't have to reflect the lost revenue as far as I understand it.

I've ignored a parking ticket and got away with it.
Old 19 September 2013, 06:20 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I may be literally down the road from that car park tomorrow. If I am I will take some pics of the signage for you.
Old 19 September 2013, 07:26 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Boro,
Cheers buddy, if you have the time I'd appreciate it.

p.s. dont for christs sake stop or you will end upon the list too !
Old 19 September 2013, 07:40 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Get yourself on the forums here:

http://www.pepipoo.com/

Read the instructions and get your tickets scanned and uploaded and wait for the very helpful advice. I've used this forum and I ended up ignoring who was after me and never had to pay.
Old 20 September 2013, 05:35 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

There are signs everywhere. This was within about 20ft of entering the car park and they continued all the way down to the beach.
Old 20 September 2013, 06:51 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Boro, MUCH appreciated.
Just gonna let this one pan out and see where it takes me.

But a big thanks again

Ian..
Old 20 September 2013, 07:34 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Might be a daft question but what happens if you enter the car park to turn around. Presumably the camera picks you up entering then exiting all be it in a very short space of time. Is there a five minute grace period where no chargers would be incurred

Nik
Old 20 September 2013, 08:01 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The signs seem to indicate you have 20 mins to purchase a ticket
Old 20 September 2013, 08:51 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

You should of posted this on sn before you went online to appeal
Now they know you are a real person
So you will get twice as many letters and threats
Hundreds of threads in web about them

I will simply it
Throw the letters in the bin
Ignore them
Forget about them
It's a charge NOT a fine

Only one you pay is council one or police one

The rest is junk mail and NOT enforceable
So BIN IT and FORGET about it

But the good thing about this thread is it educates others
Old 20 September 2013, 09:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

The rules on these charges have been clarified recently

And I think they ARE slightly more enforceable,

Edited to add that in certain circumstances they can go after the registered keeper rather than the driver

I believed this was changed in October last year

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 20 September 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 20 September 2013, 09:40 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Got a parking charge from Parking eye myself on Fistral beech a couple of years ago.
Anyway I paid to park there but managed to put the wrong reg number for our car into the machine as it was a new car!! 2 weeks later I get a letter through the post saying that I didnt pay for parking and I had to pay £60 in a certain amount of days, or end up paying £120 over the agreed date!!

Well I did think lucky for me I still had the receipt from the machine with the reg number missing and photo copied it and sent it to Parking eye, Anyway I got a letter back saying it was not enough evidence and I was still liable to a charge!!
So I google'd Parking Eye and got loads of advice, and one of them was "ignore the letters" They will send you loads of letters saying that they will take you to court and it will go against your credit rating etc etc(all scare tactics)

I ignored the letters, and after a few months they got bored and stopped sending them. What you have got to look at is that the letter says Parking charge and not Parking Fine as the only people who can fine you are the Police/DVLA and council, a Parking Charge is like asking you for the money but in a way to make you think that you have to pay it!!
Old 20 September 2013, 09:46 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth, a couple of friends have had fines parking here and ignored the requests, which eventually went away.
Old 20 September 2013, 10:10 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you been on the link I posted? They are the experts and will advise accordingly based on the company and it's reputation/stats for whether they go to court or not. I'm staggered no one else has seconded it, it's the first port of call for any traffic/parking notice.
Old 20 September 2013, 11:14 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

A friend had a Parking Charge Notice there a couple of years ago and just ignored the letters. They went away eventually. The same person also had another from Parking Eye and it was also successfully ignored.

Now that you've made contact, informing them that your were the driver and hence are the 'guilty' party, I would send them a final letter stating it to be so and offer them the cost of the parking - £2 or so. State that it is your final offer and if it is not accepted then you will not enter into further negotiation. The chances are they won't accept and will send you further demands. Ignore them all, it will most likely go away after 4-5 letters. If it goes to court, you have offered them their 'loss' and it would be looked on favourably by the judge.
Old 21 September 2013, 06:02 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Have you been on the link I posted? They are the experts and will advise accordingly based on the company and it's reputation/stats for whether they go to court or not. I'm staggered no one else has seconded it, it's the first port of call for any traffic/parking notice.
Yes, this seems to offer sensible and well informed advice

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?...=article&id=56
Old 21 September 2013, 07:41 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

eermm - did you not see my post above - where I ignored all letters from PE as advised and am now attending court....
PE have stepped up their game re court cases recently they have taken on a laywer called Rachel Ledson who seems to want to make a name for herself!
I really really hope they go away, as people suggested to me, my orig parking 'offence' was in January - but sadly here I am in Oct having a Court Order land on my mat...
Just so your warned in case it goes the same way as mine.... I had ZERO contact with them from my end - nada, they sent me about 3 letters, then a Letter Before Action. After that was the Court Summons.
I will of course let you know how I get on!:cheers:

edited to add - Hodgy have just thoroughly read that link above - that's is going to be *extremely* useful in drafting & submitting my defence - thanks for the heads up...
'Out of my cold dead hands' is the phrase that has been on my mind thoughout this whole process

Last edited by Dr Hu; 21 September 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 21 September 2013, 09:47 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

The point is IF they have done what is required of them, by law (not criminal but contract) and you break it (the contract) then they have a recourse in law - that is a fact

And when I say "required of them" it primarily means advertising the terms of "the contract".

In these cases it is by means of adequate signage - they seem, by evidence of the photos boro supplied, to have complied with this requirement.

The simple inescapable fact is, private parking enforcement firms have "upped" their game

Hence, sometimes you have to up yours

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 21 September 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 22 September 2013, 12:23 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

As Dr Hu says - they'll get you in the end.

No hiding anymore, I'm afraid.

You park, you pay.

DON'T ignore it - they can, and will take you to court.

Quick Reply: HELP - anyone live near or visiting Fistral Beach Newquay soon?