Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The EU to the rescue again! NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2013, 11:58 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The EU to the rescue again! NOT!

New plans to fit limiters to cars to cap speed to 70mph. Oh brave new world, the clock is striking 13.

"Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-limiters.html

Old 01 September 2013, 12:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Autobahns?

dl
Old 01 September 2013, 12:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
New plans to fit limiters to cars to cap speed to 70mph. Oh brave new world, the clock is striking 13.

"Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded."

Word of caution, it's in the British press so let's not take it as verbatim ... that said it is just the sort of control they (the EU) like to exercise on the people. Sadly though Warren I don't think Camron is any better in that respect as recent events have shown and he is desperate for us to stay in Europe too.

If this is true then it looks like UKIP will be picking up the petrolhead vote too

On a slight side issue I was thinking the other day that you and I are quite far apart politically yet we both feel the same way about the EU and the main parties' attitude towards the EU.... hence we are both going to vote UKIP.... could UKIP be the first party ever to unite the left and the right

Last edited by f1_fan; 01 September 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01 September 2013, 12:20 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely there's no way this would ever be implemented? Lets be honest.
Old 01 September 2013, 12:25 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

The technology is already there,it will come,we are all doomed.
The future

Old 01 September 2013, 12:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Surely there's no way this would ever be implemented? Lets be honest.
Especially as speeding tickets are a nice little earner
Old 01 September 2013, 12:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is long past time that we were out of the Eu

Les
Old 01 September 2013, 12:50 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
...If this is true then it looks like UKIP will be picking up the petrolhead vote too

On a slight side issue I was thinking the other day that you and I are quite far apart politically yet we both feel the same way about the EU and the main parties' attitude towards the EU.... hence we are both going to vote UKIP.... could UKIP be the first party ever to unite the left and the right
Yes, in a way they do cross traditional divisions. Which is why the media are so wrong talking about UKIP as the Tories in exile. Results in Rotherham and South Shields show that there is wide support from the traditional left.

My thesis is simpler though. The conventional 3 are talking so much claptrap these days that UKIP's plain talking common sense and USP of "out of the EU" really differentiate them. Its establishment on one side and UKIP on the other, they are the only two choices in UK politics now.

And the big brother speeding thing is a typical bunch of claptrap. And by the way, I have a mate in Highways Agency who tells me road pricing is still going ahead, and expect an announcement after the next election
Old 01 September 2013, 12:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

My thesis is simpler though. The conventional 3 are talking so much claptrap these days that UKIP's plain talking common sense and USP of "out of the EU" really differentiate them. Its establishment on one side and UKIP on the other, they are the only two choices in UK politics now.
Thta is EXACTLY how I feel about it. To the letter

And by the way, I have a mate in Highways Agency who tells me road pricing is still going ahead, and expect an announcement after the next election
Yes I suspected as much.

Let's hope enough people see sense and don't vote for the main parties, but they are like sheep when it comes to elections sadly!
Old 01 September 2013, 01:03 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Its not just down to speed why people die in motor accidents,bloody getting tired now of this constant blame on speed..
Old 01 September 2013, 03:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It really cannot be denied that the faster you are going the worse the accident that you might be having will be.

Also that people are more likely to have an accident if they are driving at high speeds.

Speed limits are the way to guard against an excessive number of serious accidents while allowing drivers a reasonable latitude in their vehicles.

Les
Old 01 September 2013, 03:50 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Ill bet that if-everyone dumbed down to the actual speed limit ALL the time people would bump into each other more. There would be no need to "be aware"
Old 01 September 2013, 04:07 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Think of the fuel saving!
Old 01 September 2013, 04:28 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It really cannot be denied that the faster you are going the worse the accident that you might be having will be.

Also that people are more likely to have an accident if they are driving at high speeds.

Speed limits are the way to guard against an excessive number of serious accidents while allowing drivers a reasonable latitude in their vehicles.

Les
its only one part of it though les,if drivers became more road aware,i bet accidents would be far less.
Some drivers are not even aware when a traffic light goes to green,three times in one afternoon i got stuck behind these morons last week,totally oblivious to what was happening around them.
And then the tw@t who decides lets do 35 in a 50 on clear dry road,and then decides to speed up in the 40 zone,or the moron doing 40's in the middle lane on motorway,who is probably causing more of a hazard than someone doing 80 in the outside lane...
Old 01 September 2013, 04:32 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
its only one part of it though les,if drivers became more road aware,i bet accidents would be far less.
Some drivers are not even aware when a traffic light goes to green,three times in one afternoon i got stuck behind these morons last week,totally oblivious to what was happening around them.
And then the tw@t who decides lets do 35 in a 50 on clear dry road,and then decides to speed up in the 40 zone,or the moron doing 40's in the middle lane on motorway,who is probably causing more of a hazard than someone doing 80 in the outside lane...
Spot on
Old 01 September 2013, 04:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DYK
-
And then the tw@t who decides lets do 35 in a 50 on clear dry road,and then decides to speed up in the 40 zone,

That sort of thing pisses me off as when they hit the 30mph zone they carry on at thier faster pace, it would be easier to drive at the correct speed then there would be no need to speed in the 30 zone
Old 01 September 2013, 06:30 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I suspect more EU bullsh!t generated by or fallen for by the media. Just like the bent bananas.
The point for me though is, even if this is bs it highlights the point that an unelected power governs us and can force laws on us like a dictatorship.
Old 01 September 2013, 06:44 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

So much for living in a free country...
Old 01 September 2013, 06:44 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Can't you post up anything other than anti-EU tripe?

If is never ever going to happen, so why post it up?

Oh yeah, so you can perpetuate the kind of spin and lies you love to spread about anything that opposes your narrow ideology

Last edited by Martin2005; 01 September 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01 September 2013, 06:46 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Uh-oh Mr. Angry is back
Old 02 September 2013, 09:49 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DYK
Its not just down to speed why people die in motor accidents,bloody getting tired now of this constant blame on speed..
It is you know, because some flower dress wearing lesbian from BRAKE was on the radio saying so.
Old 02 September 2013, 12:14 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This along with lane assist and collision prevention assist which are on some cars already will mean that we don't have to drive the cars anymore and just be passengers, cars will simply drive themselves. Think of the benefits, remove human intervention, and everybody would probably get from A to B a lot quicker, and you could program the car to get itself serviced, be less accidents as everyone will be travelling at the same average speed and there will be no lane changes and tailgaters slowing everyone down.
Old 02 September 2013, 03:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Yes you are quite right of course, I was quoting just one factor of course.

Part of the reason there have to be speed limits is down to the very wide abilities of all drivers on the road. It cant be denied that there are some very poor drivers around who are unable to think themselves through a situation and/or are able to control their car or to take sensible action if something unexpected were to happen.

It is not possible to make up for the lack of abilities as described above in the driving test so we therefore have to have speed limits to at least slow the cars down to where they are easier to cope with when something unusual happens. The driving test purely ensures that the driver is basically able to handle the controls of his car under normal circumstances with an emergency stop to see that he can do that too. Knowledge of the RTA and the Highway Code is also important of course. Beyond that one can only hope that the driver is fit in general to be on the road and he has to be trusted to act sensibly.

Blatting along at ridiculous speeds on the public highway is anti social and unfairly dangerous to others and deserves heavy punishment.

Taking risks just for one's own excitement can never be justified.

Les
Old 02 September 2013, 04:47 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
Blatting along at ridiculous speeds on the public highway is anti social and unfairly dangerous to others and deserves heavy punishment.

Taking risks just for one's own excitement can never be justified.

Les
What is ridiculous, for example, in a NSL?

Also, if I do choose to 'blat' along a deserted road with no junction, no traffic coming or going in either direction, visibility as far as I can see; how is that anti social and dangerous to others?

And heres a thing, I mainly drive to work, but sometimes I ride on my motorbike instead because it's more enjoyable and fun. In riding my motorbike I'm fully aware that I'm taking risk over and above that of what I'd be exposed to in the car, so are you saying I shouldn't do that?
Old 02 September 2013, 05:04 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
What is ridiculous, for example, in a NSL?

Also, if I do choose to 'blat' along a deserted road with no junction, no traffic coming or going in either direction, visibility as far as I can see; how is that anti social and dangerous to others?

And heres a thing, I mainly drive to work, but sometimes I ride on my motorbike instead because it's more enjoyable and fun. In riding my motorbike I'm fully aware that I'm taking risk over and above that of what I'd be exposed to in the car, so are you saying I shouldn't do that?
Because even though the conditions are still perfect, there are other mitigating circumstances that are out of your control and still may cause you to have an accident, eg tyre blowout or mechanical failure, black ice or other debris in the road, something running into the road, running out of talent etc. Should the worst happen well then you've created a hazard and an inconvenience to other road users and the emergency/recovery crews. Is it not obvious that the lower the speed, the lower the severity of an accident and the more time you have to react and control the situation. That's what the NSL is for.
Old 02 September 2013, 05:48 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

When my daughter was learning to drive recently I took her out into the vale near us with some lovely sweeping bends and some pretty long straights where you can see what's coming for miles but one day in the twisties I said to her "expect a horse or a bicycle to be round every corner" and guess what the next bend had a beautiful looking beast that would have probably weighed the best part of a ton and done an awful lot of damage to a Peugeot 107. Andy
Old 02 September 2013, 09:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonc
Because even though the conditions are still perfect, there are other mitigating circumstances that are out of your control and still may cause you to have an accident, eg tyre blowout or mechanical failure, black ice or other debris in the road, something running into the road, running out of talent etc. Should the worst happen well then you've created a hazard and an inconvenience to other road users and the emergency/recovery crews. Is it not obvious that the lower the speed, the lower the severity of an accident and the more time you have to react and control the situation. That's what the NSL is for.
Phew, only yesterday i was "blatting along" at a mere 59mph, thus safe as i was under the NSL, and luckily the black ice (in September) didn't cause me to crash into the group of school children and 'ickle puppies that were in the middle of nowhere

mb
p.s. I also had several blowouts on the way home.
Old 02 September 2013, 11:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
Phew, only yesterday i was "blatting along" at a mere 59mph, thus safe as i was under the NSL, and luckily the black ice (in September) didn't cause me to crash into the group of school children and 'ickle puppies that were in the middle of nowhere

While very well put I feel you could also have pointed out the the irony of all this holier than thou nonsense being spouted on a performance car forum rather than drivingmissdaisy.co.uk
Old 02 September 2013, 11:21 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer

mb
p.s. I also had several blowouts on the way home.
Just so you're aware, the NSL isn't just set for the month of September. and besides not everyone is bestowed with your god like driving skills.

Last edited by jonc; 02 September 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03 September 2013, 12:07 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by jonc
Unlike some, I do see where you are coming from. However, all the speed limits in the world aren't going to protect people from the stupidity, lack of common sense, rudeness, selfishness, lack of awareness or even skills of others.

I take your point about the lower the speed, the lower the severity, but at the end of the day, an accident at 60/70, depending on the vehicles involved, the road and exacts of the accident, can still result in fatalities.

Personally, rather than a total focus on speed being the root of all evil and the cause of accidents, I would prefer to see driving tests being toughened up a lot more than they are, in the hope that morons wouldn't even get the chance to be on the roads in the first place. I hate to say it, but more police on the road pulling people up for poor driving, and poor driving isn't all about the speed.

Quick Reply: The EU to the rescue again! NOT!