Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kids don't stand a chance

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2013, 10:21 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Kids don't stand a chance

Noticed a middle aged guy pushing a pram walking toward me today, his clothes were old and dirty and he was smoking whilst texting.

As he past me I noticed he had a young boy following him, maybe 3 years old. This was a busy main road and the man would turn round now and then to call the boy and then turn back to his phone.

As the boy walked in front of me I noticed he was chewing a pencil, running his hands against everything he could and the bit that really upset me, he had soiled himself, all down the front and back of his dirty shorts and it had dried.

I could of cried there and then thinking how this poor little child must be living. I came home and pulled everything out of my kids room and cleaned it top to bottom, it wasn't dirty, but I had to do something.

It's like a lottery, born to the wrong person and you'll suffer.

Last edited by pimmo2000; 27 August 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 27 August 2013, 11:35 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was born in the front room of a two-up, two-down with an outside lavatory.......

we all take our chances.

Shaun
Old 28 August 2013, 12:05 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I was born in the front room of a two-up, two-down with an outside lavatory.......

we all take our chances.

Shaun
Respect to you, sir.
Old 28 August 2013, 12:10 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbohot

It was the baby boom of the late 50's / early 60's so nothing out of the ordinary, strangely enough all of PS Lewsis's posts ring a bell with me so my guess he is mid fifties like me and not a lot older ........

wherever he is .

Shaun
Old 28 August 2013, 12:35 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Turbohot

It was the baby boom of the late 50's / early 60's so nothing out of the ordinary, strangely enough all of PS Lewsis's posts ring a bell with me so my guess he is mid fifties like me and not a lot older ........

wherever he is .

Shaun
That's young, Shaun, just a bit older then Tom Cruise and still younger then George Clooney, so hey. Life re- begins at mid- fifties, they say. You're an inspiring, self-made person. Your parents and rest of your family must be very proud of you. Well done.
Old 28 August 2013, 06:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

we all take our chances.

Shaun
Good to know .. how did your parents treat you?
Old 28 August 2013, 06:37 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Noticed a middle aged guy pushing a pram walking toward me today, his clothes were old and dirty and he was smoking whilst texting.

As he past me I noticed he had a young boy following him, maybe 3 years old. This was a busy main road and the man would turn round now and then to call the boy and then turn back to his phone.

As the boy walked in front of me I noticed he was chewing a pencil, running his hands against everything he could and the bit that really upset me, he had soiled himself, all down the front and back of his dirty shorts and it had dried.

I could of cried there and then thinking how this poor little child must be living. I came home and pulled everything out of my kids room and cleaned it top to bottom, it wasn't dirty, but I had to do something.

It's like a lottery, born to the wrong person and you'll suffer.
Some folk don't deserve to have children.
Old 28 August 2013, 07:53 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

I too was born in the front room of a terraced house, in Liverpool in 1950.
My dad was a dustman during my early schooldays, bin wagons were horse drawn and he had to carry the bin on his shoulder from the house to the cart. We were very poor but my folks taught me right from wrong. We didn't get electricity until 1960!. My dad rose through the ranks in his job and eventually got the boss's job in a Corporation 'bin yard' and had the pleasure of getting the use of a company motor bike (BSA Bantam). He was so proud of his achievment.
His outlook on life rubbed off on me, I won't brag about my achievements, but I did extremely well in my career, I started off as a weekend petrol pump attendant.
Old 28 August 2013, 08:08 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started off on £25 a week
£10 for the bus
£5 for my lunches
That left me a tenner a week to buy a nice suit and tie and Parker pen

Thats when I chatted up women I was terrified if they drank more then 4 half lagers
They would of bankrupt me
These were the days

Jermany Kyle programme is compulsory for me to watch
The sheffield programme and the benefits programme at the moment is interesting viewing too
It seems to symbolise 'broken Britain '
It scares me what the future holds and the youth of today that will bring up Their offspring

The cane was abolished when I was at school and I think disaplin and moral standards has fallen since then .
Bring back national service for many of the youths of today
Old 28 August 2013, 08:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I don't believe this a poor thing .. poor parents aren't bad parents. (they have that on their T-shirts)
Old 28 August 2013, 08:16 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

It's funny because my girlfriend and I were just saying the same thing about the upbringing of kids nowadays... and we're only in our 20's (I'm 28 she's 23)!!!

The area she lives in now used to be a really nice area when she was born according to her mum and her mum before that. Now it's full of little ******* trying to cause bother! I see examples as pimmo mentioned all the time and it literally makes you want to take their kids off them and just show them how it feels to be treat properly!
Just the other day I was walking up to the local shop and was confronted by a lad similar age to me muttering to himself, bottle of Buckfast in his righthand and booting off wingmirrors. I decided the best thing to do was not get involved with him and just ring 101 and report him. As I walked past him he came up to my face and shouted "f*cking c*nt" then swung the bottle at my head!!

My mrs has a little boy and she was always dead set against sending him to private school. But due to the lack of discipline from these Jeremy Kyle throwback parents nowadays and the increase in these specimens, she doesn't want any of our children to be put into their world unnecessarily! Luckily we've both got a decently paid jobs so we should be able to afford to send all 3 (yes we plan on having 2 more!) to a local private school.

The most saddening thing about the whole thing is that each and everyone of these ******* all started off the same way; an innocent little baby with no knowledge of the future that awaits them
Old 28 August 2013, 08:24 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

I don't believe this a poor thing .. poor parents aren't bad parents.
I have known many well-orf bad parents and seen the antics that poorly guided 'rich kids' get up to.

During the 1970s, I had to spend many weeks a year in Oxford and I was disgusted at how some 'rich kids' behaved. Many of them often bragged that if they got into trouble with the Police that daddy would sort it out for them.

Edited to add..

I predict a 20 pager here, covering all topics and ending up with the usual verbal scrapping

Last edited by Big-G; 28 August 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 28 August 2013, 08:29 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big-G
I have known many well-orf bad parents and seen the antics that poorly guided 'rich kids' get up to.

During the 1970s, I had to spend many weeks a year in Oxford and I was disgusted at how some 'rich kids' behaved. Many of them often bragged that if they got into trouble with the Police that daddy would sort it out for them.
That's one blessing of living in Carlisle, the people that can afford the private schools aren't "stupidly" rich. So, whilst not saying the better off raise better behaved children, there is non of the fools you mention above! Plus there is an entrance exam to sit to get in as well so at least you know there is a level of intelligence amongst your child's peers.
Old 28 August 2013, 09:08 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

as they say,

burnt out car in one of the Oxford Colleges, student high jinks

burnt out car in Brixton, riot
Old 28 August 2013, 09:24 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oliVeR6
It's funny because my girlfriend and I were just saying the same thing about the upbringing of kids nowadays... and we're only in our 20's (I'm 28 she's 23)!!!

The area she lives in now used to be a really nice area when she was born according to her mum and her mum before that. Now it's full of little ******* trying to cause bother! I see examples as pimmo mentioned all the time and it literally makes you want to take their kids off them and just show them how it feels to be treat properly!
Just the other day I was walking up to the local shop and was confronted by a lad similar age to me muttering to himself, bottle of Buckfast in his righthand and booting off wingmirrors. I decided the best thing to do was not get involved with him and just ring 101 and report him. As I walked past him he came up to my face and shouted "f*cking c*nt" then swung the bottle at my head!!

My mrs has a little boy and she was always dead set against sending him to private school. But due to the lack of discipline from these Jeremy Kyle throwback parents nowadays and the increase in these specimens, she doesn't want any of our children to be put into their world unnecessarily! Luckily we've both got a decently paid jobs so we should be able to afford to send all 3 (yes we plan on having 2 more!) to a local private school.

The most saddening thing about the whole thing is that each and everyone of these ******* all started off the same way; an innocent little baby with no knowledge of the future that awaits them
The misses and I make a good monthly, nothing compared to the SN massive but enough I thought for private school. Google tells me it's about 12k (lowest) a year and with two kids 24k a year would put us royally on our *****. Add in the mortgage and the cars and I'm not ashamed to say we'd be left with very little.

Edited to add..

I predict a 20 pager here, covering all topics and ending up with the usual verbal scrapping
Aye, but their parent treated them well, or paid someone to. I guess the results are the same, but chance are they will know right from wrong, were as the benefit scum (the people using children to get cash) just don't care.
Old 28 August 2013, 09:31 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

The misses and I make a good monthly, nothing compared to the SN massive but enough I thought for private school. Google tells me it's about 12k (lowest) a year and with two kids 24k a year would put us royally on our *****. Add in the mortgage and the cars and I'm not ashamed to say we'd be left with very little.
One of the schools we both prefer takes in a lot of foreign students. Carlisle is a very biggoted and ignorant city and there aren't many foreigners up here compared to the rest of the UK. For this reason we believe sending the kids to a school where "foreigners" are the norm would put them in better sted for the future when they step into the big wide world!! But the fees are £3150 per term per child!
The other school, more local and where I was fortunate to go, is £3,999 per term...
Old 28 August 2013, 09:41 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oliVeR6
One of the schools we both prefer takes in a lot of foreign students. Carlisle is a very biggoted and ignorant city and there aren't many foreigners up here compared to the rest of the UK. For this reason we believe sending the kids to a school where "foreigners" are the norm would put them in better sted for the future when they step into the big wide world!! But the fees are £3150 per term per child!
The other school, more local and where I was fortunate to go, is £3,999 per term...
Whats that, £12,600 a year?

Good call on the multicultural take on their life, took my boy swimming the other day (he's 4) and he saw his first Chinese person. He asked me what was wrong with his eyes .. I nearly died.
Old 28 August 2013, 09:57 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

Good call on the multicultural take on their life, took my boy swimming the other day (he's 4) and he saw his first Chinese person. He asked me what was wrong with his eyes .. I nearly died.
Yep, so I believe and thats before uniform, books etc!! But what price can you put on your childrens future lol?! Mind our boy is only 16 months at the mo so got a good 9+ years to save up haha.
Old 28 August 2013, 09:57 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

that is often the starting price

add school meals, uniform, school trips, extra curricula sport and it all start to add up
Old 28 August 2013, 10:40 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I wouldn't get too hung up on sending a child to private school. My boss sent all 3 of his to private school and Uni and none of them have what you would call a "proper job".

The catchment area for my daughters primary school takes in the worst part of our town and I believe they make more of an effort with the children because of this. One of my daughters best friends comes from a very deprived background and she is perfectly capable of having an adult conversation on a variety of subjects.

There are the idiots in any school and having money does not necessarily equate to good parenting skills. I had a conversation with a local teacher and she felt that the only real difference between public and private school was the kids come out with a better accent
Old 28 August 2013, 11:18 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I wouldn't get too hung up on sending a child to private school. My boss sent all 3 of his to private school and Uni and none of them have what you would call a "proper job".

The catchment area for my daughters primary school takes in the worst part of our town and I believe they make more of an effort with the children because of this. One of my daughters best friends comes from a very deprived background and she is perfectly capable of having an adult conversation on a variety of subjects.

There are the idiots in any school and having money does not necessarily equate to good parenting skills. I had a conversation with a local teacher and she felt that the only real difference between public and private school was the kids come out with a better accent
I absolutely agree that money doesn't equal good parenting skills BUT if you take a broad perspective on the types of kids commiting crime and being a general nuisance you'll find it's generally those that aren't at a private school. Or it is up here anyway. But I recognise that a lot of this is dependant on parenting skills but again, from what I've experienced, those parents sending their children to private school seem to do a better job than the majority sending their children to huge state schools.

I also understand and agree that poorer families can churn out well mannered, intelligent children but again, on the whole I'd rather send my child to a private school where the classes are smaller and the teaching is more focused, then take my chances that he/she will befriend that rare diamond in the rough at a state school.

Plus nowadays to get anywhere in life the saying "it's not what you know but who you know" has never been more relavent. So you tell me which school the big bosses, the "who to know" types, will be sending their children too?! lol

As for uni..... That's CERTAINLY not all it's cracked up to be!!! I'm definitely not too hung up about whether my children decide to go to uni or not!

Last edited by oliVeR6; 28 August 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 28 August 2013, 11:40 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Might be going against the trend so far, but I am fortunate enough to earn more that enough money to put my kids through private school, I won't be though.
I prefer my children to have a balanced schooling, yes state schools do have their share of bams but you need to learn to deal with all aspects of life and people.

How a child turns out is made up of loads of factors, but the main one is how you parent them. Most of the kids I know who went through private school ended so far up their own ***** it is hard to believe. I think this more to do with the types of parents who send thier kids to private school as opposed to the schooling itself, but spend your time with aresholes and guess how you will turn out.......

It might be different here in Scotland than in England, where it really is just the so called upper classes that send thier kids private, but I could be a millionaire and my kids would still go to state school.
Old 28 August 2013, 11:53 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hail-hail
Might be going against the trend so far, but I am fortunate enough to earn more that enough money to put my kids through private school, I won't be though.
I prefer my children to have a balanced schooling, yes state schools do have their share of bams but you need to learn to deal with all aspects of life and people.

How a child turns out is made up of loads of factors, but the main one is how you parent them. Most of the kids I know who went through private school ended so far up their own ***** it is hard to believe. I think this more to do with the types of parents who send thier kids to private school as opposed to the schooling itself, but spend your time with aresholes and guess how you will turn out.......

It might be different here in Scotland than in England, where it really is just the so called upper classes that send thier kids private, but I could be a millionaire and my kids would still go to state school.
Yer it's interesting to hear other peoples opinions of private schools and I totally agree that majority are full of seriously stuck up people!
As I mentioned earlier, within Carlisle the private schools are more full of "swots" (partially down to having to pass an entrance exam to get offered a place) as opposed to those that just have millions to shell out for some school full of spoilt kids! If the private schools round here were like that I agree with you, I'd be thinking twice about sending my children there!!
Old 28 August 2013, 03:39 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

My take on it.
1. Sending your kid to a good school is the best thing a parent can do. My school pushed people to do the best they could, and it rubbed off on everyone.
2. Everyone is afraid today to stand up for what's the right thing to do. Society is too individualistic for us to comment on such a thing as society. The only answer is to look after yourself and your family, and sod everyone else.
Old 28 August 2013, 04:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

we all take our chances.

Shaun
I was brought up in a very similar house, my father was being paid a paltry wage by a very rich and mean boss.

The biggest influence on children I think is the character and responsibility of your parents. My father had been a POW for four years during WW2 and lost the part of his life where he might have been able to do better as far as a better paid job was concerned. There was not much choice of well paid jobs just after WW2.

My parents were so good at bringing my sister and me up that we both managed to make the best of the education that we got and my sister is an important executive in the firm she works for and I was able to get a job for life which I loved in every respect.

It is fair to say that we owe it all to our parents.

Les
Old 28 August 2013, 04:13 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Funnily enough I screamed at a woman last week for letting the second youngest of the five kids she had with her run out on the road.

Between her ***, her icecream and the pushchair she was struggling with she just shouted at this kid to stop. The kid paid no attention to her and carried on.

The fat mess made no effort to chase after the kid and stop it being run over. I got out of my car, picked the kid out of the road and carried it to her.

Told her she should be utterly ashamed of herself and if that there was an example of people who shouldn't have children she was it. Then out of the shop came the boyfriend with his four pack of stella.

Typical jobless ****** who didn't know if it was new year or new York. I just feel sorry for the kids they spawn. Their lives ruined before they begin.
Old 28 August 2013, 04:34 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hail-hail

Great post, and so true.
Old 28 August 2013, 07:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Good to know .. how did your parents treat you?
I know what you're saying there, Pimmo. Good parenting, secure attachment to the care giver is responsible for forming child's healthy self-concept and a rational world view, and we already know that child is the father of man. Mind you, there're occasional exceptions to that as well. There are some rare orphans and abused who have done very well for themselves. I take my hat off to such, too.
Old 28 August 2013, 07:31 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Respect to you, sir.
Believe it or not, that's how most people in the UK lived back in the day, my parents included.

And you don't have to go too far back in the grand scheme of things, that's how things were.
Old 28 August 2013, 07:41 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Believe it or not, that's how most people in the UK lived back in the day, my parents included.

And you don't have to go too far back in the grand scheme of things, that's how things were.
I understand, mrmadcap. Mother in-law tells some stories, her mother did too, so do other veterans. Hard times, and 'well done' to the ones who made their way through those hard times; you and your parents included.

Perhaps people then didn't think how hard those times were, as that's the way it was. Surely, today's generation that lives in much more comfort can be inspired from that.

Quick Reply: Kids don't stand a chance