Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2013, 05:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sexism?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23710890

But he is right isn't he?

The fundamental problem is that society believes that being chairman of the board or being F! champion is far more worthwhile than say, raising a family properly which, in reality is key to a better society.

==============

UKIP treasurer Stuart Wheeler has denied being sexist by saying women were "nowhere near as good as men" at games like chess, bridge and poker.

The spread-betting tycoon made the comment during a debate on EU proposals for gender quotas in the boardroom.

Mr Wheeler said he had been explaining why companies should not be forced to appoint more women to their boards.

He was accused of sexism by fellow panellist Clare Gerada, chairman of the Royal College of GPs.

Explaining his comments on BBC Radio 4's The World at One, he said: "I pointed out that in certain areas, women did not do as well as men, and then I cited poker, bridge and chess.

"My point is that there are some things that men are better than women at, some things that women are better than men at, and you don't necessarily want to impose a minimum of either sex at the top of any profession or at the top of any board."
'Self-evidently sexist'
Mr Wheeler, a former Conservative Party donor who was expelled from the party by David Cameron over his support for UKIP, said the anti-EU party was attracting more women and was taking steps to achieve this but ruled out quotas for candidates.

Asked if he was suggesting men were more intelligent than women, Mr Wheeler said: "No, no, certainly not... all I was saying was there are areas where women are not as good as men. I'm sure there are areas men are not as good as women and therefore I don't think it's always essential to have a minimum number of either."

Stuart Wheeler: "I don't think it's right in certain activities to have any given percentage of women or men"

UKIP MEP candidate Diane James, who came close to winning the Eastleigh parliamentary by-election in March, said Mr Wheeler's comments had been taken "totally out of context" and the party was being "picked on".

"The media would love to present UKIP as a totally misogynist party. It quite clearly isn't. Look at myself, look at the other females within the party that have achieved very, very high levels of office," she told the BBC News channel.

Asked about Mr Wheeler's comments at the meeting on Wednesday night, Dr Gerada said they were "self-evidently sexist".

=============

dl
Old 16 August 2013, 05:57 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I read this earlier. My simplified take on this: Men will be the best and worst at everything, women will be in the middle of these extremities. End of.
Old 16 August 2013, 06:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

are women as strong as men? power lifting proves they arn't due top men lifting heavy weights than the top women.

Is it sexism to say it?

I think what he's trying to get at is forcing x amount of any sex/race is actualy the oposite of the idea and people should get to theposition they are on merit, no mater what race/sex they are.
Old 16 August 2013, 06:43 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I read this earlier. My simplified take on this: Men will be the best and worst at everything, women will be in the middle of these extremities. End of.
Exactly my thoughts, it's what I've believed for a long time.
Old 17 August 2013, 12:47 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

To me this is yet another media encouraged faux outrage at non PC statements. Compare with Bongo Bongo land comments from Godfrey Bloom. If you are really offended by these comments then I would say you don't have a proper grip on the real world. Was Godfrey saying that all darkies should be thrown into ovens - NO. Is Wheeler saying all women should be in front of the kitchen sink - NO. In Wheeler case he is arguing that having quotas for quotas sake is detrimental, something I completely agree with.

I think both would acknowledge that if someone makes something of themselves through merit then they would be applauded, not excluded because of some personal feature. To blow this up into "outrage" (media speak for something we don't agree with or think you should condemn) is a load of old tosh

Last edited by warrenm2; 17 August 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 17 August 2013, 08:03 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UKIP MEP candidate Diane James, who came close to winning the Eastleigh parliamentary by-election in March, said Mr Wheeler's comments had been taken "totally out of context" and the party was being "picked on".

"The media would love to present UKIP as a totally misogynist party. It quite clearly isn't. Look at myself, look at the other females within the party that have achieved very, very high levels of office," she told the BBC News channel.

That's all its about,media making a big deal out of something normal,plus it happened to be a UKIP member who said it...
Old 17 August 2013, 08:15 AM
Captain-Sticky
Scooby Regular

Why was the woman out of the kitchen?
Old 17 August 2013, 08:20 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Captain-Sticky
Why was the woman out of the kitchen?
she wasn't read again......

Originally Posted by DYK
UKIP MEP candidate Diane James, speaking from her kitchen, said Mr Wheeler's comments had been taken "totally out of context" and the party was being "picked on".

That's all its about,media making a big deal out of something normal,plus it happened to be a UKIP member who said it...
Old 17 August 2013, 12:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by warrenm2
To me this is yet another media encouraged faux outrage at non PC statements. Compare with Bongo Bongo land comments from Godfrey Bloom. If you are really offended by these comments then I would say you don't have a proper grip on the real world. Was Godfrey saying that all darkies should be thrown into ovens - NO. Is Wheeler saying all women should be in front of the kitchen sink - NO. In Wheeler case he is arguing that having quotas for quotas sake is detrimental, something I completely agree with.

I think both would acknowledge that if someone makes something of themselves through merit then they would be applauded, not excluded because of some personal feature. To blow this up into "outrage" (media speak for something we don't agree with or think you should condemn) is a load of old tosh

What he said.
Old 17 August 2013, 01:43 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

FEMINISM; The right of women to do what ever they want and not face consequences for their actions. Now they want to make it so they can be **** at a job and still get promoted because they are a woman and apparently its hard being a woman. What bull****. The entire western world seems to be framed about stopping women moaning and all they do is bitch more. Let these C**ts go to a country where real opression happens and see how they like it.
Old 17 August 2013, 02:12 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
FEMINISM; The right of women to do what ever they want and not face consequences for their actions. Now they want to make it so they can be **** at a job and still get promoted because they are a woman and apparently its hard being a woman. What bull****. The entire western world seems to be framed about stopping women moaning and all they do is bitch more. Let these C**ts go to a country where real opression happens and see how they like it.

How can it be hard to be a woman?? It must be brilliant, you can walk into any changing rooms and look at other naked women whenever you want! Sounds bloody brilliant to me!
Old 17 August 2013, 07:07 PM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

A woman myself I don't think it's sexist to say men are better at some things than women.. Of course they are but vica versa too! I'm into cars but also appreciate men tend to be a lot more informed and knowledgeable about them and I appreciate their advice but only if they give it on a level and don't patronise me

Men are better at been single minded and focused on one thing , women are naturally better at multi tasking it needs mutual respect at what each sex is good at too. I also think though that women do have a hard time in senior level business as being tough and ambitious as a women can be hard and there is a natural expectation in the world of things for us to be more meek and mild . A tough woman tends to be seen as a b**ch in business.
Old 17 August 2013, 08:06 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
How can it be hard to be a woman?? It must be brilliant, you can walk into any changing rooms and look at other naked women whenever you want! Sounds bloody brilliant to me!
True, but the downside is that you stand a pretty good chance of getting porked by a fat hairy smelly bloke

Who then wipes his **** on your curtains
Old 17 August 2013, 09:14 PM
Emmaroids
BANNED

Originally Posted by Picklemaroo
A woman myself I don't think it's sexist to say men are better at some things than women.. Of course they are but vica versa too! I'm into cars but also appreciate men tend to be a lot more informed and knowledgeable about them and I appreciate their advice but only if they give it on a level and don't patronise me

Men are better at been single minded and focused on one thing , women are naturally better at multi tasking it needs mutual respect at what each sex is good at too. I also think though that women do have a hard time in senior level business as being tough and ambitious as a women can be hard and there is a natural expectation in the world of things for us to be more meek and mild . A tough woman tends to be seen as a b**ch in business.
Totally agree there
I respect men and I agree they are needed for certain things that woman just cant do but also that works in reverse too. Im not a feminist and will ask for help
Old 17 August 2013, 10:23 PM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

I'm not a feminist either lets face it I'm not strong enough to do certain physical things and quite happy to ask for blokes help on the other hand in some ways women can be much stronger mentally as more in touch with emotions and can express them easily
Old 17 August 2013, 10:59 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
True, but the downside is that you stand a pretty good chance of getting porked by a fat hairy smelly bloke

Who then wipes his **** on your curtains

No way! If I were a woman I would defo be a lezzer. Actually, I wouldn't even waste time with that, I'd just fiddle with my ***** and strum myself all day long. Hours of fun to be had
Old 17 August 2013, 11:01 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Picklemaroo

You do A level??
Old 17 August 2013, 11:19 PM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

You do A level??
Ha ha yes
Old 18 August 2013, 07:47 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Sorry, that was a bit inappropriate given we've never 'spoken' before.

Apologies.
Old 18 August 2013, 08:56 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Sorry, that was a bit inappropriate given we've never 'spoken' before.

Apologies.
No worries at all quite funny !
Old 18 August 2013, 08:56 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I remember one job I had and I was called into the office one afternoon about my so called bad attitude towards a certain Manager..
The male boss who were giving me a talking too happened to say,is your attitude towards her because she is a woman and you don't like it that she's a manager...
with that I laughed out,and said no not at all,don't matter to me if its a he or she,as long they can do the job they are employed to do,she just happens to be a Bitch,and with that I walked out the office and left the company months later...
Old 18 August 2013, 08:59 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Yes I've had a manager like that as well she was awful ! But also then had a great female boss after that.
Old 20 September 2013, 06:12 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

"*****"
Old 20 September 2013, 06:15 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No new threads you liked?
Old 20 September 2013, 06:48 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

says the man who quite enthusiastically posts up any EU scare story / outrage!

I do find your hypocrisy hilarious
Old 20 September 2013, 10:11 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I do find your hypocrisy hilarious
As I find your ignorance depressing
Old 20 September 2013, 10:43 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

If he wants to keep voting for the likes of Cameron and Blair keave him to it Warren. He must like being governed by lying scum... hey ho!
Old 20 September 2013, 11:48 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

So to summarise. Media driven nonsense that supports your ideology is perfectly fine (no mater how far fetched and illogical), but media driven nonsense that doesn't is all wrong and unfair?

Help me here, because I'm confused.
Old 20 September 2013, 11:49 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
If he wants to keep voting for the likes of Cameron and Blair keave him to it Warren. He must like being governed by lying scum... hey ho!
You are really over using the 'scum' word, it's losing all its impact
Old 21 September 2013, 12:52 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Well if you vote for Farage you get Milliband!

Now that should sober a few UKIP nutjobs up quickly