Meet the Landlords programme.

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2013, 02:43 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meet the Landlords programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...the_Landlords/

Would put many people off becoming a landlord or a tenant. I'm sure prisoners in the UK enjoy better accommodation than most on offer during the programme. Some of the tenants really were a waste of space.
Old 19 July 2013, 03:28 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Certainly an eye opener.
Old 19 July 2013, 03:35 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I did HMO's for nearly 20 years. Certain rules I had included never rent to men or benefits claimants. Unattractive quiet types were the best tenants. Yet still met wallies. That landlord just threw up stud walls in slum properties and let anyone in no doubt to try and keep up with massive mortgage repayments. Property valued by himself at £26m yet he's probably one step away from being bankrupt.
Old 19 July 2013, 03:47 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Indeed, I'd did watch that and it got me thinking....

Would certainly never rent anything I own to anyone relying on DSS payments to pay you. I know the laws are there to protect the roofs over people's heads but I really sympathised with the likes of the family on there who'd rented out the family home whilst living/working overseas but on return to the UK were unable to get the tenants out without a lengthy court process and for all that time and for a fair bit before the tenants weren't paying the rent.

The temptation to call in some heavies to remove them must be so great but the law is on their side so it's you who winds up in trouble.

Why can't the whole eviction process be simplified? Maybe take three months rent in advance + a damage deposit, keep it in escrow like they have to now and pay interest on it. Then if you miss a months rent payment you are on a warning, pay up within a month and all back to normal. If you miss two payments then an automatic eviction in one months time unless you catch up on your arrears and if by the end of month three you've not settled the bill then blokes with no necks come to chuck you and your stuff out on the street and change the locks

However the bloke with the 26 million pound portfolio of multiple occupancy houses (HMOs) did on the surface seem to be out to make as much money as he could for renting out sub standard bedsits to low life benefit claimants. It's a business but he must need a decent mug of Horlicks to sleep at night. He seemed to have some tried and tested methods for making people pay up or get out as well + a very good grasp of what the legal system could do for him.
Old 19 July 2013, 04:15 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

One problem they didn't highlight was the other side of it taking so long to get them out; The longer they are in there, the more wanton fecking destruction the filthy ******* can perform

I don't own any rental properties, but used to do a fair amount of refurb work for various people who do, and you would not believe the state some properties get left in
Old 19 July 2013, 05:04 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

I have 2 properties that I let out. NO DSS, NO pets, NO Smokers, NO scumbags as I vet them all first.
Old 19 July 2013, 07:11 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
However the bloke with the 26 million pound portfolio of multiple occupancy houses (HMOs) did on the surface seem to be out to make as much money as he could for renting out sub standard bedsits to low life benefit claimants. It's a business but he must need a decent mug of Horlicks to sleep at night.
The guy who evicted the girl with cancer so that he could split the property must need a packet of Nytol to help him sleep. Fortunately she secured better digs for herself and little boy.
Old 19 July 2013, 07:16 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosticles
I have 2 properties that I let out. NO DSS, NO pets, NO Smokers, NO scumbags as I vet them all first.
Is it normal to set a maximum number of occupants for a property?

Last edited by Mouser; 19 July 2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 19 July 2013, 08:15 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
Is it normal to set a maximun number of occupants for a property?
I only let to couples or small families. Where one of the houses is, the landlord of one over the road let it out to about 12 Asylum seekers!!! Wasn't best pleased as my tenants moved out.
Old 19 July 2013, 08:49 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

I only let to couples or small families. Where one of the houses is, the landlord of one over the road let it out to about 12 Asylum seekers!!! Wasn't best pleased as my tenants moved out.
That is what I thought could happen
Old 19 July 2013, 09:45 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
That is what I thought could happen
& it does.
Old 19 July 2013, 10:25 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Your houses aren't in north Notts then?