Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Slow puncture repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2013, 06:47 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow puncture repair or replace?

My wife has a slow puncture in the offside rear on her Rav4. Checked it last week and found it was 15psi. Pumped it up to recommended 29 and a week later its dropped 3.5.

Never bothered getting a tyre repaired before and with a few long trips coming up she is thinking of just going for the replacement. I wonder how insurance companies would view it?

Anyone got theirs repaired and care to give some feedback before she forks out £100 for a new tyre?

Cheers
Simon
Old 15 July 2013, 07:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Try and find a vulcaniser somewhere near you. These places usually do heavy plant and truck tyres, but will happily sort out a car tyre if it is safe to do so and will cost you a fraction of the cost of a new tyre.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:02 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I've had repairs done before and had no problems.
If however the tyre was approaching the end of its life anyway I'd just buy new.
Also tyre fitters will only repair if the puncture is within a certain area, ie away from the edge.

Nik.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:28 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Repair if it's safe to do so, if not it's 2 new tyres as you don't want tyres with different levels of wear/grip on the same axel especially in the wet.
Old 15 July 2013, 08:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Unless its almost worn out, Repair it (if possible). Anyway, it could just be a leaky wheel rim due to corrosion on the bead. Quite common on the inner rim on alloys, Toyota are no exception as their wheels don't half corrode badly (well, they did on MR2s and Celicas at least).

I repair them myself (Handy when I have free access to the equipment )...never had an issue.

Tyre manufacturers do advocate repairs on tyres so if they says it ok, then its good enough for me With the exception of RFTs and that is only because its impossible to ascertain the damage by being run under inflated which is common on RFTs (as tehy never look flat)...its easy to spot that a normal tyre has been driven under inflated too much as they fill up with rubber powder!

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 July 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 16 July 2013, 08:48 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

All the slow punctures I've had are usually down to a sharp object like a nail or screw that has penetrated the tyre and stuck there such that the air only comes out slowly. Easy repair job at a local tyre place. I've had repaired tyres on most of my cars at one time or another even the Scooby. As far as insurance goes so long as it's done professionally there are no issues.

Now I own a BMW with run flats so I'm expecting to get such a puncture shortly after replacing my worn rears
Old 17 July 2013, 03:07 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Unless its almost worn out, Repair it (if possible). Anyway, it could just be a leaky wheel rim due to corrosion on the bead. Quite common on the inner rim on alloys, Toyota are no exception as their wheels don't half corrode badly (well, they did on MR2s and Celicas at least).
Top marks to you sir. Barely dropped half a psi in the last 3 days but the wife took it down to local wheel guy I have used for refurbs and tyre fitting. Straight away said yep the good old Toyota wheel corrosion and will fix it and respray for £25. Darn sight cheaper than new tyres and there is plenty of tread left.

I was suprised that at 15-16 psi it was not noticeable visually when parked on the drive.

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2013, 11:07 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My bet is that, once it's off, the tyre place will decline to repair it as the sidewalls will be knackered due to running at loww pressure.

It's happened to me twice........
Old 19 July 2013, 11:28 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Negative. Wheel repaired and tyre back on since weds and so far holding a steady pressure.
Old 19 July 2013, 12:31 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

It's not a Toyota wheel thing, it's a Japanese car wheel thing, it's a combination of the crappy paint they use with no etching primer, and the amount of salt that gets spread needlessly on our roads