Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ever had shingles?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2013, 09:04 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default ever had shingles?

anybody ever had it? i had a pain in my side last week that the quacks told me was a pulled muscle........................3 days later and im covered in blisters all over my right side and im in agony with it. anybody got any info on what can reduce the pain/blisters? the doctor said i have to wait it out but surely there is something i can put on them? because they are nerve based i have the stabbing pains in my mid-section plus the burning pain from the blisters

anybody?
Old 15 July 2013, 09:14 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazzaturbo
I don't think a car forum is the best place for medical advice

I'd have a google at it and see if there's anything off some sort of medical website
im looking on google aswell matey just thought i would ask to see if anybody else has suffered it thats all
Old 15 July 2013, 09:15 AM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
anybody ever had it? i had a pain in my side last week that the quacks told me was a pulled muscle........................3 days later and im covered in blisters all over my right side and im in agony with it. anybody got any info on what can reduce the pain/blisters? the doctor said i have to wait it out but surely there is something i can put on them? because they are nerve based i have the stabbing pains in my mid-section plus the burning pain from the blisters

anybody?
need to go back to docs. My woman works in hospital as pharmacy tech, suggests acyclovir which are anti viral and work on this. Docs ! Also can use pain killers . Hope clears soon mate.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:22 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Yes I've had it and it isn't pleasant. Get you doctor to prescribe you some Zovirax as that at least helps with the pain. Worked for me anyway. The effects last up to 12 months as it attacks the nerve endings and you still get tinges of pain even after the main virus has gone. Rest and relaxation is the order of the day... don't do what I did and keep working and then end up passing out LOL!
i having been having pain in my side for months now and the docs said it could be because i wasnt drinking enough-so i drank more which didnt help,maybe that was the start of it.i worked up until friday but i cant bear to have clothes rubbing on them let alone driving the machines at work

the blisters dont itch alot its more of a stabbing pain

Old 15 July 2013, 09:28 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Yep, that's more or less what happened to me.... wasn't diagnosed until it was well established.... the clothes rubbing it is exactly right. The stabbing pain is because your nerve endings are being attacked.
oh well i guess mrs shrek will have to adhere to my every need until im better
Old 15 July 2013, 09:29 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

On a side mote the timeline of this thread is all screwed up for me. Quoted replies appear before the reply they are quoting. Weird!
yeah i have noticed this aswell
Old 15 July 2013, 09:41 AM
dazzaturbo
Scooby Regular

I don't think a car forum is the best place for medical advice

I'd have a google at it and see if there's anything off some sort of medical website
Old 15 July 2013, 09:45 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

anybody?
Yes I've had it and it isn't pleasant. Get you doctor to prescribe you some Zovirax as that at least helps with the pain. Worked for me anyway. The effects last up to 12 months as it attacks the nerve endings and you still get tinges of pain even after the main virus has gone. Rest and relaxation is the order of the day... don't do what I did and keep working and then end up passing out LOL!
Old 15 July 2013, 09:46 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Painkillers maybe? Do the blisters itch? If so Camomile lotion for the itchyness.
Isn't Shingles the adult form of Chickenpox?
Old 15 July 2013, 09:53 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by EOEUMC
Painkillers maybe? Do the blisters itch? If so Camomile lotion for the itchyness.
Isn't Shingles the adult form of Chickenpox?
+1 about the lotion and I think he's right that its the adult form of chickenpox as its the only child hood sickness that you can catch more then once bar the common cold or flu,I hope you get better soon mateits not a nice thing.SJ.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:54 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

i having been having pain in my side for months now and the docs said it could be because i wasnt drinking enough-so i drank more which didnt help,maybe that was the start of it.i worked up until friday but i cant bear to have clothes rubbing on them let alone driving the machines at work

the blisters dont itch alot its more of a stabbing pain

Yep, that's more or less what happened to me.... wasn't diagnosed until it was well established.... the clothes rubbing it is exactly right. The stabbing pain is because your nerve endings are being attacked.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:55 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

On a side mote the timeline of this thread is all screwed up for me. Quoted replies appear before the reply they are quoting. Weird!
Old 15 July 2013, 09:55 AM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

I had Shingles earlier in the year, had weird pains going down my ribs and went to the docs and he said i had shingles. He gave me some antiviral things for 7 or 10 days which are apparently quite strong to stop the virus developing as you can't cure it just slow it down with drugs.

I was really lucky as i didn't feel any effects of it apart from being a bit achy for a couple of days down one side, carried on working etc and didn't really notice anything. I hear it can be pretty bad for some though

EDIT - its an awakening of the dormant chickenpox virus which is in one of your nerves, you'll only get it down 1 side as it only effects 1 nerve. Pretty rubbish all in!

Last edited by sovietspybob; 15 July 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 15 July 2013, 12:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Had this on my chest, inside my throat, mouth and ears. Took about 2-3 weeks to go away. As most of mine was internal there was nothing that could be done. Eating was great fun

Feel for you, but it will go in the end. Mine was years ago and not come back since.
Old 15 July 2013, 02:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My Air Electronics Officer on our Vulcan contracted it out in Offutt in the USA.

He was unable to get into the aircraft for the pain etc. and we had to wait for a replacement to come out from the UK so we could fly again.

I hope it is not too bad for you.

Les
Old 15 July 2013, 02:35 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had it quite a few years back when my little girl had chicken pox.....Doctor told me its not contagious to adults that have already had chicken pox as a kid.....Apparantly....but a week later had a rash on my neck
Old 15 July 2013, 05:18 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sovietspybob
I had Shingles earlier in the year, had weird pains going down my ribs and went to the docs and he said i had shingles. He gave me some antiviral things for 7 or 10 days which are apparently quite strong to stop the virus developing as you can't cure it just slow it down with drugs.

I was really lucky as i didn't feel any effects of it apart from being a bit achy for a couple of days down one side, carried on working etc and didn't really notice anything. I hear it can be pretty bad for some though

EDIT - its an awakening of the dormant chickenpox virus which is in one of your nerves, you'll only get it down 1 side as it only effects 1 nerve. Pretty rubbish all in!
Its the herpes zoster virus , and it runs down any nerve branch

I had it accross the chest both arms, down my back and in in areas you dont want to go

when i had it it was 6 weeks quarantine, nowdays its just a few days of and tablets lol

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 15 July 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:00 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Had shingles a number of years ago. The pain was so bad I couldn't have any material touching my skin for a couple of weeks.
Old 17 July 2013, 02:13 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I had it this year, nearly went blind as I had blisters on my eye ball, vision still not 100%, I treated it with the aciclovir and Famciclovir. The anti virals only seems to stop the spread of the pocks they do not cure ethe ones alreaddy there, your body does that on its own.