Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New washing machine options

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2013, 02:11 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New washing machine options

Looks like I may be needing a new washing machine looking for one in black but I'm wondering if their are any makes to avoid. Budget is about £300-£350 but may stretch budget.

TIA Paul
Old 13 July 2013, 05:00 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a bad experience with an Indes(h)it washing machine many moons ago but they may have improved since then. Current machine is a Bosch as was the one before it which gave great service hence why we got another.
Old 13 July 2013, 05:03 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I've used this place twice for fridge and washer and found them to be good on delivery etc...

http://http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?....z_MAT%3DExact
Old 13 July 2013, 05:47 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only advice I can offer came from an old boy who serviced and supplied them for years.

Don't go for a 1400/1600 spin speed all singing dancing jobbie 1000/1200 is plenty fast enough and they only use the same motor and turn the wick up, so it's likely to fail sooner, as well as the extra vibration causing other things to fail sooner, dials not electronic displays or soft touch keypads, keep it simple and they last for years.
Old 13 July 2013, 06:04 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

At that price Bosch is difficult to beat.

Top of your budget but a great buy is this

http://www.anglianelectrics.co.uk/in...emart&Itemid=3

And yes that is the company I manage
Old 13 July 2013, 06:12 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Advice here:
http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/b...g-machine.html
Old 14 July 2013, 10:27 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers fro the replies guys

Trending Topics

Old 14 July 2013, 11:14 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Bought a cheap Hoover DYN8164D washing machine for the villa. Its basically a rebadged Creda. Was about €270, which is probably as cheap as you are going to get one for, and for the money its not bad at all.

Its a bit noisier than some, but it has a good load capacity and spin speed. Also washes pretty darn quick

Best of all is if you overload it or badly load it (i.e one giant towel without anything else to balance it out), it won't do a full spin So it will protect itself from damage/wear which often happens to cheaper machines when badly loaded which wrecks the bearings, etc..

The problem is it won't tell you its not done a full spin. You only know when you open the door and find the clothes still soggy. Not a big issue as you just correct the load and do a separate spin, but a error light would have been nice.

The other flaw is it has a old fashioned thermal interlock on the door. so you have to wait 3mins after finishing for the door to unlock.

Many machines have electronic time locks or auto-sensing....for example our Miele will allow the door to be opened mid-wash so long as the water level is below the door (which it often is) and its not on a 60+ dgeree wash (to prevent scalding)...VERY handy if you find you wallet/keys/mobile phone clanging around in there

PS...Cheaper Bosch machines are made in Spain by BALAY and rebadged to suite. (Spanish manufacturer owned by Siemens...who owns Bosch)...just something to aware of.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 July 2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 14 July 2013, 11:33 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Bought a cheap Hoover DYN8164D washing machine for the villa. Its basically a rebadged Creda. Was about €270, which is probably as cheap as you are going to get one for, and for the money its not bad at all.

Its a bit noisier than some, but it has a good load capacity and spin speed. Also washes pretty darn quick

Best of all is if you overload it or badly load it (i.e one giant towel without anything else to balance it out), it won't do a full spin So it will protect itself from damage/wear which often happens to cheaper machines when badly loaded which wrecks the bearings, etc..

The problem is it won't tell you its not done a full spin. You only know when you open the door and find the clothes still soggy. Not a big issue as you just correct the load and do a separate spin, but a error light would have been nice.

The other flaw is it has a old fashioned thermal interlock on the door. so you have to wait 3mins after finishing for the door to unlock.

Many machines have electronic time locks or auto-sensing....for example our Miele will allow the door to be opened mid-wash so long as the water level is below the door (which it often is) and its not on a 60+ dgeree wash (to prevent scalding)...VERY handy if you find you wallet/keys/mobile phone clanging around in there

PS...Cheaper Bosch machines are made in Spain by BALAY and rebadged to suite. (Spanish manufacturer owned by Siemens...who owns Bosch)...just something to aware of.

Arr so that's why sometimes my clothes come out as if they haven't had a full spin,must have the same protection system...
Old 14 July 2013, 12:08 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Your Hoover is a rebadged Candy not Creda.

Creda were part of Hotpoint which is now owned by Merloni, Indesit's parent company
Old 14 July 2013, 01:31 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

So are cheap Bosch machine rubbish then ?
Old 14 July 2013, 05:41 PM
computerangel
Scooby Regular

Default Washing Machine

I'm sorry but Bosch are not owned by Siemens.

Balay is a subsidiary of b/s/h this is a 50/50 partnership between Bosch and Siemens.

They also own Neff and Gaggenau as Brands you may have heard of in the UK appliance market.

Just because they are made in Spain make them any inferior.

Let's not judge Brands by where they make their products.
Old 14 July 2013, 07:07 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by computerangel
I'm sorry but Bosch are not owned by Siemens.

Balay is a subsidiary of b/s/h this is a 50/50 partnership between Bosch and Siemens.

They also own Neff and Gaggenau as Brands you may have heard of in the UK appliance market.

Just because they are made in Spain make them any inferior.

Let's not judge Brands by where they make their products.
Agreed
Old 14 July 2013, 07:09 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
So are cheap Bosch machine rubbish then ?
Not at all. Something like a WAB28061 which retails at around £280 is basic with only a 5.5kg drum and a 1400 spin.

Better off with something like I listed above or maybe one of the WAE or WAQ range. The bigger drum makes a huge difference as does the better energy efficiency.
Old 14 July 2013, 07:19 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Its a bit noisier than some, but it has a good load capacity
Sounds like my dishwasher!

Last edited by Coc-ker; 14 July 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 14 July 2013, 09:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coc-ker
Sounds like my dishwasher!
That reminds me, I need to put a full load in the dishwasher tonight

She usually spits it out, but there is always hope
Old 15 July 2013, 12:23 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular