Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Interview Travel Expenses

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2013, 12:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interview Travel Expenses

Is it normal for a company to offer to meet a candidate's travel expenses for attending an interview these days?

I am speaking about a 20k a year job and about £30 at 40p per mile charged.

David
Old 03 July 2013, 12:38 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Any respectable company should offer to reimburse you but I wouldn't expect it. If they don't offer it then there's nothing you can do really other than hope you get the job
Old 03 July 2013, 12:42 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Any respectable company should offer to reimburse you but I wouldn't expect it. If they don't offer it then there's nothing you can do really other than hope you get the job
I had a handful of interviews after I graduated where I had to buy things like train tickets and they all offered to reimburse. One company said no because I wasn't a student. I'm glad they didn't offer me a job because such treatment is bang out of order.
Old 03 July 2013, 06:16 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the last twelve months I had about twelve interviews, and only two offered to reimburse. One included a hotel room due to the interview time and the distance. Another which involved the same did not offer. It's nice, but do NOT expect it. Remember, you have more to lose than them, unless they approached you.
Old 03 July 2013, 07:43 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I would expect hotels to be paid for, but probably not train/car.

I interviewed in San Francisco two months ago and that they said they would reimburse. I got the job, started Monday so my first expense report!
Old 04 July 2013, 09:21 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Been to a lot of interviews and never expected to / or have been reimbursed! Unelss it's a trip abroad, hotel stay etc but if it's just travel then as far as I'm concerned.....

If you want the job, you'll do/pay what it takes ... obviously within reason!

<Flame suit on>
Old 04 July 2013, 07:54 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud
Been to a lot of interviews and never expected to / or have been reimbursed! Unelss it's a trip abroad, hotel stay etc but if it's just travel then as far as I'm concerned.....

If you want the job, you'll do/pay what it takes ... obviously within reason!

<Flame suit on>
Same here. Why should a company pay for my expenses for interview? I'm the one who needs the job, so I'll pay for what it takes. But once I've got the job, they pay for every penny I spend for running from pillar to post for them, damn it. You want the job done, you pay the expenses, and that's it. There are firms who'd love it if you run around for them for nothing. I say don't ever do that, but expecting your probable employer to pay for your travel for interview (unless it's on North Pole) is a bit too nanny state type expectation.

Last edited by Turbohot; 04 July 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04 July 2013, 08:13 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Same here. Why should a company pay for my expenses for interview? I'm the one who needs the job, so I'll pay for what it takes..
so if a company contacted you, directly or via an agency and asked you to come for an interview - I.e. you are Headhunted

would expect to pay to travel to the interview

if the answer is "yes" you would, then

I may have a job for you, oh and can you collect my dry cleaning for me on your way

would 8.30am suite?
Old 04 July 2013, 08:27 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
so if a company contacted you, directly or via an agency and asked you to come for an interview - I.e. you are Headhunted

would expect to pay to travel to the interview

if the answer is "yes" you would, then

I may have a job for you, oh and can you collect my dry cleaning for me on your way

would 8.30am suite?

Hello Hodgy dear. I have been headhunted in past and had all my expenses paid, my toilet seat wiped and all. I was talking about the regular application process when people are asked to attend interviews following the sifting and short listing etc. short listing isn't headhunting. It's more competitive process than those idiots from The Apprentice who think that they are headhunted to be targeted by Sir Alan's ego on the national telly. So, no. A company need not feel obliged to pay for interview expenses. That's just my view.

I currently have a job, Hodgy. If this one ends, I may take up your offer to get yer coat.
Old 04 July 2013, 08:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

cool, but just to be 100% clear, in answer to your question

Why should a company pay for my expenses for interview?

answer - when you are being headhunted

yes, let me know how you get on, I am a very kind and considerate employer and pay very well
Old 04 July 2013, 09:11 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
cool, but just to be 100% clear, in answer to your question

Why should a company pay for my expenses for interview?

answer - when you are being headhunted

yes, let me know how you get on, I am a very kind and considerate employer and pay very well

Yes, to clarify further, you're absolutely right. That's exactly what I'm fine with. Mind you, there were occasions when I was headhunted for the tasks, but I wasn't offered expenses when I went up and down the country to discuss the tasks. I had no problem with that on an apparent level. I just charged higher than the odds final fee for the jobs I did, to make up for my time, energy, expertise and expenses, and they paid without a quibble. So, this headhunting is a different ball game when the employer is on the employee's disposal. Realistically, this relationship is symbiotic, but weight could be more on just one side sometimes; depending upon who's more needy.
Old 04 July 2013, 09:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

FFS I am not talking about some fancy head hunted type job or one up the road in San Francisco. Wasn't my post clear enough?

This was a £20k, bottom of the pile job, and £30 derv

David
Old 04 July 2013, 09:28 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Saying all what I said above, can I just add that poor peeps, unemployed and poor students under loans should be offered travel expense tbh. But not everyone who just want it because they are obliging the probable employer by attending their interview. Because if we don't do that, we are encouraging the poor to remain poor without job, and the rich getting those jobs because they don't have to count their pennies.

Not every job hunter is desperate. The ones that are already on some job, but looking for a change/new challenge etc. don't qualify for interview expenses. Nor do the ones with well-off parents or well-off partners.

I do have a heart, you know.
Old 04 July 2013, 09:31 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
FFS I am not talking about some fancy head hunted type job or one up the road in San Francisco. Wasn't my post clear enough?

This was a £20k, bottom of the pile job, and £30 derv

David
Ok. You can give him/her that 30 quid tbh. As you know, average scoobynetter is a 50-kayer tax payer, so anyone going for 20k job must be desperate.
Old 06 July 2013, 01:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I brought someone up from South Wales for an interview, paid his hotel and travel, only fair if I'm interested in hiring him.

Turns out he was worth it.