Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Apple found to be fiddling tax and instead gets paid 3.8million in credit

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2013, 07:20 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple found to be fiddling tax and instead gets paid 3.8million in credit

I know some people will say "good on them". But its OUR money they are keeping and lavishing bonuses on themselves.

Anyone who avoids tax, I'm sorry but its wrong, even if it is legal. Those who are employed dont get the luxury of loopholes and are taxed to the hilt, so should everyone else. Especially the big corps.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-bonuses.html
Old 02 July 2013, 07:53 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I trust Jack took his slice.!
Old 02 July 2013, 08:52 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What did you expect from a company that generates $36.8bn of pre-tax profits?
Old 02 July 2013, 08:55 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Apple actually put in a Tax return which showed the value of their goods (rather than what they charged the muppet sheep who follow them)?

These big boys should pay what they should pay - but the Tories won't do anything, as these big company bosses OWN the Tory Party!
Old 02 July 2013, 09:22 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Fiddles taxes is a bit strong. Filled in a tax return more like it. No doubt this was a tax break brought in by Pete's beloved Labour party, helping the people as ever.
Old 02 July 2013, 10:43 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlh
Anyone who avoids tax, I'm sorry but its wrong, even if it is legal.
are you saying that, just like a 65 year old man who regulary fvcks 16 year old girls

that being "legal" is not the same as being "right" or doing the right thing

that legality and morality are not the same thing

strong stuff
Old 02 July 2013, 10:46 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I don't see what they've done is wrong. They've not done anything illegal and only have done what many other companies do to limit their tax liabilities, and lets face it, if given the oportunity we would all do the same.

What they've also done is rather than pay a huge tax bill for the Government to squander, they chose to rewarded their employees who in turn will inevitably pay a propotion in taxes directly on this benefit and more indirect taxes when they spend the money and acutally put it back into the economy.

Trending Topics

Old 02 July 2013, 10:51 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
What they've also done is rather than pay a huge tax bill for the Government to squander, they chose to rewarded their employees who in turn will inevitably pay a propotion in taxes directly on this benefit and more indirect taxes when they spend the money and acutally put it back into the economy.
That's the excuse I'm going to give HMRC when they catch me for tax dodging. I was only putting it back into the economy.
Old 02 July 2013, 11:00 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
That's the excuse I'm going to give HMRC when they catch me for tax dodging. I was only putting it back into the economy.
Feel free if you have a good legitimate tax avoidance strategy. Good luck with it if you try to illegally evade tax.
Old 02 July 2013, 11:17 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

much more preferable for a company to avoid paying corp tax buy simply rewarding the employees rather than squirreling it away in tax havens were it is useless
Old 02 July 2013, 11:20 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Once more I give you Lord Clyde..

"No man in the country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel in his stores. The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Anyone who says it is morally wrong to arrange their affairs in a tax efficient and legal manner, using laws provided by Parliament, is simply a COMPLETE F*&%ING MORON. As the 2nd most popular comment says, "It is politicians that make tax laws and if they want companies to pay more tax then they should change the law. Whenever politicians criticise in this way they are actually trying to deflect criticism of their own poor performance."

Blame the politicians not the companies!

Last edited by warrenm2; 02 July 2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02 July 2013, 11:31 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We elect them,so we're entitled to grumble.
Old 02 July 2013, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a pity that effective dishonesty seems to rule these days.

Les
Old 02 July 2013, 12:18 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

I know some people will say "good on them". But its OUR money they are keeping and lavishing bonuses on themselves.

Anyone who avoids tax, I'm sorry but its wrong, even if it is legal. Those who are employed dont get the luxury of loopholes and are taxed to the hilt, so should everyone else. Especially the big corps.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-bonuses.html
Your heading is misleading, Apple weren't "fiddling" their tax. Their accountants were doing their job within the current laws.
Old 02 July 2013, 03:54 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is a pity that effective dishonesty seems to rule these days.

Les
Not in this case, they obeyed the law - that is not dishonest
Old 02 July 2013, 04:00 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

talk about blowing the headline out of the proportion "fiddling"
Old 02 July 2013, 04:15 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Once more I give you Lord Clyde..

"No man in the country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel in his stores. The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Anyone who says it is morally wrong to arrange their affairs in a tax efficient and legal manner, using laws provided by Parliament, is simply a COMPLETE F*&%ING MORON. As the 2nd most popular comment says, "It is politicians that make tax laws and if they want companies to pay more tax then they should change the law. Whenever politicians criticise in this way they are actually trying to deflect criticism of their own poor performance."

Blame the politicians not the companies!
This ^^^^^
Old 03 July 2013, 07:00 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

ok, so lets turn a blind eye to the big corps not paying their tax.
We need money to run the country.
I know, lets tax the little people as the big people wont pay their tax as they use the rules to move money around and pay little or none.

The big corps are not some guy who has worked and sweated all his life to run a large corporation. The big corps are faceless companies, managed by moraless jacka55es and greedy shareholders who dont care how they make a profit as long as they get a return, whose bonuses are fed by the tax payer through tax-dodging methods.

Who's laughing? You, because the big corps pay less and you think "good on them"?
or them, laughing at you, defending THEIR right to take money out of your childs mouth, to keep your child cold at night, to keep your grandparents cold during winter.

Nothing to do with the big companies? Honestly. There are some numptys in this place.

No wonder this country is in the 5hitter. Economics should be the #1 lesson for people to learn in school. People might realise it IS wrong to avoid paying tax as it AFFECTS every man, woman and child in this country.

I dont blame the government. I blame the PEOPLE.

WE elect the idiots to run the country. WE give them that much power because we cant be bothered to run our own lives.
We support companies who happily overcharge us, dont pay tax.

Im happy to pay tax - I know it has to go back INTO the country.
Its not perfect - by a long shot, some heads could definitely need banging together to get it working, but it is so essential that we all support our country and that if we dont, we've had it and I mean we've HAD it.

Banks are the worse so dont get me started on those.
Old 03 July 2013, 08:38 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know, lets tax the little people as the big people wont pay their tax as they use the rules to move money around and pay little or none.

The big corps are not some guy who has worked and sweated all his life to run a large corporation. The big corps are faceless companies, managed by moraless jacka55es and greedy shareholders who dont care how they make a profit as long as they get a return, whose bonuses are fed by the tax payer through tax-dodging methods.

Who's laughing? You, because the big corps pay less and you think "good on them"?
or them, laughing at you, defending THEIR right to take money out of your childs mouth, to keep your child cold at night, to keep your grandparents cold during winter.

Nothing to do with the big companies? Honestly. There are some numptys in this place.

No wonder this country is in the 5hitter. Economics should be the #1 lesson for people to learn in school. People might realise it IS wrong to avoid paying tax as it AFFECTS every man, woman and child in this country.

WE elect the idiots to run the country. WE give them that much power because we cant be bothered to run our own lives.

Its not perfect - by a long shot, some heads could definitely need banging together to get it working, but it is so essential that we all support our country and that if we dont, we've had it and I mean we've HAD it.

You really are a bit of a moron.

Do pay into pension? Then you are a "greedy shareholder" as you put it.
Do you use salary sacrifice, childcare vouchers, tax credits? Then you are avoiding tax. If you want to pay extra tax then good for you, you're unique.

Please try not to believe everything you read in the media.
Old 03 July 2013, 08:58 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Economics should be the #1 lesson for people to learn in school...
Oh the irony
Old 03 July 2013, 01:02 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

My point is, if you should be paying tax then you should, not avoid it best you can when it affects everyone, especially those who need it most.

I dont claim anything that was highlighted. Ive worked since I left school and always paid my way and happy too, if it provides a better environment. Saying Im unique that I pay my way?

I give up.
Old 03 July 2013, 01:28 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

I agree, quit while your just about a head.
Old 03 July 2013, 04:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

We all get tax allowances, yourself included. If you want to pay the full rate you can send your allowance to my Paypal account... I'll buy Apple products with it.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:11 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

My point is, if you should be paying tax then you should, not avoid it best you can when it affects everyone, especially those who need it most.

I dont claim anything that was highlighted. Ive worked since I left school and always paid my way and happy too, if it provides a better environment. Saying Im unique that I pay my way?

I give up.
Most people on here will share your sentiments and sense of morality, just as most will pay their fair share of tax. The point is, Apple did not break any tax laws and the same goes for many multinational companies.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:16 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Anyone who says they wouldn't do it if they had the know how is just sprouting BS.

As long as they havn't broken the law then fair play, the law needs chainging, but fair play.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:40 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Anyone who says they wouldn't do it if they had the know how is just sprouting BS.

As long as they havn't broken the law then fair play, the law needs chainging, but fair play.
Exactly.

Perhaps Apple should introduce a two tier pricing model? One price where any profit has its tax paid in the UK, and another one (lower) where the tax is paid in Ireland (or wherever). That way outraged consumers can vote with their own money.

However, I predict most consumers would elect to pay the lower price.
Old 03 July 2013, 07:06 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I don't blame anyone for using the system in a way that saves them paying tax, if it isn't illegal then it is up to the powers that be to create rules and regulations that stop it happening.
Old 04 July 2013, 10:37 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

There's far too many people willing to embrace the 'laissez faire' ideology. Soon we may have the likes of OCP running countries. Money brings power and absolute money brings absolute power. Don't expect anything more than rhetoric or soundbites on this issue from the Government. He who pays the piper calls the tune.