Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cats - keeping them away

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 12:11 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

I am aware of a product you can put in your garden that makes a hi-pitch noise that keeps cats away.

Is their such a product for the house hold? the reason why I ask is that one of my cats keeps on doing "its' business" in one of our rooms - we have tried to stop it, but every now and again it does - so i was thinking of putting one of these devices in that room.

so anyone know of any?
Old 20 May 2002, 01:27 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They dont work my cat sit's above next doors one that cost him about £60 i did tell him it would be a waste of money no but the tosser thought he new best, makes me laugh when the cat gets on his garage

As for the cat doing the business you need to use some nutraliser to totaly get rid of any scent that is left all left as they will have a sniff and think ive been here befor and go again
we had a problem with ours we used some stuff from tesco's i think it was called somthing like Baritz Deoderiser and it works.

Excuse any typos been on the wine.

Huxley

Ps.if you want any more info email me off line
Old 20 May 2002, 02:15 AM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

If it keeps taking a wizz it could be a territory thing.
If you get a clean cloth and stroke the cat with it, especially under it's chin and along it's cheeks the cloth will pick up the cat's smell. Now rub the cloth around the room in the area where it's has been taking a wizz and to the cat it should smell like it's theirs already. So no need to stake claim to it....

If it's taking a dump it then it's just associated that room as an acceptable place to use and needs a kick up the ***!
Old 20 May 2002, 09:29 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Try "Get off" spray - smells a bit for 10 minutes, then you don't notice it and it worked really well for ours!

We got it in Pets at home, but I'm sure you can find it in pretty much all pet shops - can use inside and out and on furniture etc, without problems...
Old 20 May 2002, 09:39 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Wink

tosser thought he new best, makes me laugh when the cat gets on his garage
This got a bit heated last time it came up Strange how Cat people never understand the entire human population doesnt share their love of their wretched little creatures.

Deano
Old 20 May 2002, 09:48 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Is the cat male or female ? If it a male, has he been done ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 20 May 2002, 09:49 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Get a dog...LOL...

Preferably a big one

Seriously though, its probably a territory thing, so advice as above.

Alternatively, shut the door

D

[Edited by Diablo - 5/20/2002 9:51:21 AM]
Old 20 May 2002, 09:49 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

How about

Get enough thin wire fencing to cover your room.
Lay it on the floor in that room then hook it up to a small electrical current and wait.

Should be funny watching them hop around if nothing else.

Mike

[Edited by RB170 - 5/20/2002 10:06:19 AM]
Old 20 May 2002, 09:56 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Mike.

Not sure Christian would want the elctric fence in his house just to stop his cats using the wrong room

Mind you the idea has potential.....
Old 20 May 2002, 10:36 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

lol @ Mike
Old 20 May 2002, 10:40 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Angry

All these comments don't help do they ?? This is a serious question, and at this rate, the thread will be moved to the muppet section!!

If you not got anything constructive to say, then don't say it!!

Cheers Phill C
Old 20 May 2002, 11:38 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There's a product out called "Silent Roar"

However I'm not sure you would want to put it indoors, as its regenerated lion shyte

Might be an idea to place some in a tray near to where the cat poops as the smell of big cats doo-doo's should scare your's off
Old 20 May 2002, 11:42 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

I've heard of this - doesn't it really smell?! I reckon you should try the spray first as that's not *too* bad.

And def. clean the floor really well before hand. We had no problems after doing this.
Old 20 May 2002, 12:04 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

No funny enough, it don't smell of crap like it should do...I was going to buy some for my garden, couldn't bring myself round to paying £8 for a box of turd's

They do something too it though, they are like pellets.
Old 20 May 2002, 12:09 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Ahh...maybe I'm thinking of something completely different!

£8 is alot for what is esstentialy c*ap! my spray cost £3...

...mm, am I sounding like a salesman?!
Old 20 May 2002, 12:11 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow

I'd reckon you'd be better off just closing the door & keeping the cat out of the room

Those cat whining devices are available from the RSPB (Not surprisingly!)

I've got the same problem with cats with my mum-in-law - serious She has got approx (no-one knows) 50 of the flea-bitten scrawny inbred diseased type that she lets wander around her house & the farm that they live in. If I could drop a couple of them whiney things in the house then they might all bugger off to the woods - fat chance My brother-in-law has "inadvertently" shot a few and ran over one in his tractor, but she realises and gets upset so that can't be done any more. I refuse to let my daughter go to the house as you know what kids are like for putting things in their mouths - the place is disgusting

So - any advice gratefully received that'll get rid of the cats without sticking mum-in-law with a nervous/mental breakdown?

I married the wife but inherited the mother-in-law.
Old 20 May 2002, 03:01 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Now this might seem a tad unconventional, but may I recommend a classic mouse trap, except baited with something like tuna. One trap of nose or tail in the offending location and it sure won't visit again!

p.s. best wear heavy clothing when removing cat from trap
Old 20 May 2002, 04:11 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Mine went through a period of this. Clean the area thoroughly with dettol or something to remove the smell completely.
Sprinkle the area with pepper as it makes them sneeze and they don't like that.
Place bubble wrap on the area as they don't like walking on it.
If they are shut in this room at night and it is by the door, it could be indicative of them needing a litter tray.
Fill a plant sprayer bottle with water and if you see them doing this, squirt them with water - they hate it.
Essential oils dripped onto the carpet will keep them at bay. Mine didn't like citrus-y ones.

If the cat is male and not "done" it could be territorial. Make a bed for the cat in another corner, preferably somewhere "hidden" - behind the sofa or covered over and allow it to feel safe in that room.

HTH
Mice_Elf
Old 20 May 2002, 04:15 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

If you know which cat it is and you discover a new sample left on your carpet, get the cat, rub its nose in the offending area while sharply saying "no" and "bad cat" type words and then, still holding it by the scruff of the neck, put its head face-down under the cold-water tap. Don't drown the thing, obviously, just enough to get their heads really wet without it going into their ears or up the nose.

One of my cats had this treatment when in front of us all she poo'd on the kitchen carpet. First and only time she did that. (And yes, she is still alive and well.)
Old 20 May 2002, 04:26 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Mice Elf - what do you do to guests that fart at the table :scared: Sounds a bit on the cruel side - and that is from a lifelong cat hater.
Old 20 May 2002, 04:44 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Wink

What about moth ***** cats don't like the smell,
Also half filled plastic bottles with water, the movement makes them think some one is there, and they move on.

chel xxx

by the way i think this is my first corner

[Edited by Chelsie-Bun - 5/20/2002 6:04:10 PM]
Old 20 May 2002, 05:31 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lol @ FB - There are some things that I will tolerate my cats doing and warn them that it is wrong, there are others that are just not acceptable. My warnings consisted of sharply saying their names, then clicking my fingers 3 times, then flicking their ears if they still persisted.

My newest cat went through a habit of biting your fingers when being fussed, until she learned the corelation between biting my fingers and getting sore ears as I flicked the very tips of them.

All my cats are trained very well and simply clicking my fingers now is enough to stop them at what they are doing. Plates of human food can be left on the floor and they won't go anywhere near them. They don't climb curtains, they don't get on tables or sideboards, they don't have a litter tray, they all come home to a whistle, they go for walks round the fields with us - they are very well trained cats.
Old 20 May 2002, 06:02 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

If it's on a carpet clean the spot with vinegar, it stinks for a while but the smell goes after a short while to our noses at least but their noses still get it and much like the pepper it makes them sneeze, which as said they dont like ! if fresh enough it also stings slightly (vinegar that is). It used to work when we were training kittens for cats protection league, it should work on the full grown animal.

Phill
Old 20 May 2002, 06:07 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I am so not getting involved in a cat thread again.
Old 21 May 2002, 12:37 PM
PaulT00
Scooby Regular

Serious response...

We have a similar problem with one or more of our cats - it's difficult to watch them all the time but we know which we think it is.

The key to stopping the problem (or at least reducing its intensity) is (a) understanding why it is happening and (b) removing all trace of the mark.

It's either a genuine problem with understanding acceptable and unacceptable locations ("Woss mean I should go in that box full of stuff? This corner's quite OK thanks..."), a physical problem ("Gotta go gotta go....") or territorial marking ("This is MY corner and everybody else better get their heads round that...").

Genuine failures of training can be dealt with by confining your cat in a small space (kittening pen, small room etc) with a floor made of something other than the spot they usually pick, with a litter tray and some food. If you catch one it goes straight in the cage for at least a few hours. And ignore all the guilt trips it tries to put on you.

Some cats develop a "substrate preference" - they like to "go" on carpet etc instead of in the litter tray. It's possible to "wean them off" it and back onto litter but it can take a lot of patience.

"Gotta go" - see the vet. If there's a physical problem it can probably be dealt with.

Territorial marking is the most difficult to deal with. You have to remove all traces of the smell - biological washing liquid diluted in hot water can help, as can surgical spirit which breaks down organic compounds. Then you need to try to prevent the need to mark - it's usually caused by stress or something along those lines. There's a substance called "Feliway" which is based on synthetic cat pheromones (which humans can't smell) which can be used around the house to make the cat feel more secure. Again, see your vet for advice.

Because this kind of thing is often caused by stress, it's a bad idea to "punish" the cat. It hasn't got the brainpower to understand that it's doing something wrong - and being punished will just make it more stressed and possibly make the problem worse.

It can be very difficult to get rid of any smells completely. There are a number of companies which make "niff remover" kinds of things - we use "Rug Doctor Odour Remover" which has an enzymatic action and at least stops the affected location reeking like a latrine.

Finally, although at times you may want to physically damage the little b***ards, be patient. It can take time to sort this problem and in some cases you may even need to change e.g. carpet for hard floors. But it can be stopped (or at least considerably reduced) if you have patience and try to think like a cat.

Probably best not to go out and start killing birds and small mammals, though.

Best of luck with the problem.
Old 21 May 2002, 02:37 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Here's novel idea....have you tried 'shutting the door to the room'...???

Could be on to a winner with that one.....
Old 21 May 2002, 04:58 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

**** in the cats basket ?
Old 21 May 2002, 05:22 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Well apparently Cats are advanced enough to feel pain - but I'm not sure they're sufficiently far up the evolutionary scale to handle irony ?

Now your typical Horse - that would understand perfectly - unless it was dead of course.
Old 21 May 2002, 07:02 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Best way to keep cats away is to buy a Pit Bull Terrier like my mate Teds got. Trouble is it also keeps the postman away so he never gets any mail. He keeps writing to the Post Office to complain but he hasn't received a reply yet......Blutes
Old 21 May 2002, 07:49 PM
ssubaru
Scooby Regular

Hi nice to see good ideas this time ,
ssubaru

Quick Reply: Cats - keeping them away