Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Knee injury - anyone had similar?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2013, 01:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Knee injury - anyone had similar?

A couple of weeks ago I fell heavily onto a concrete path and my left knee took the brunt of the fall. I had a deepish gash but could just about stand up so I don't think I harmed the kneecap.

Cleaned up the wound, took some pain killers, and that was it.

But over the last week it has got gradually more painful so went to see GP. He gave me some antibiotics in case it had got infested and after prodding around thought there was small chance that I had damaged the top of the tibia which finishes just below the knee.

So I am wondering if I have slightly damaged this bone and, if so, is there anything I can do about it?

So this post is to ask if anyone has had similar and what happened. Would an x-ray show up a tiny crack? I am guessing that there is little that can be done aside from keeping too much weight off and waiting for it to gradually heal?

Worst pain is when I drive and have to keep knee bent under steering wheel

David
Old 15 March 2013, 01:57 PM
Orangio
Scooby Regular

Look into Leech therapy
Old 15 March 2013, 01:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rest it, keep an eye on it and go back if it doesn't improve, sometimes injuries seem permanent. I pulled something in my back and it took 18 months to go away completely
Old 15 March 2013, 02:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

all they will do if they find anything is imobilise the leg (plaster cast), x ray for peace of mind i would say
Old 15 March 2013, 02:05 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a quick look here - http://www.webmd.boots.com/pain-mana...ent-prevention
Old 15 March 2013, 02:20 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, the leg needs amputated just above the Knee. Man up!!
Old 15 March 2013, 02:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, the leg needs amputated just above the Knee. Man up!!
Thank you Doctor. Fortunately I have a spare.

d
Old 15 March 2013, 02:48 PM
CarBen Fibre Creations
Former Sponsor

Aye rest it mate knee injuries are the worst, I dislocated mine 7 years ago and it still causes me problems now. Once its healed start out with some light training and see if you can still do every day tasks, if it causes you any problems go straight to your GP or physio for a consultation.
Old 15 March 2013, 03:02 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Jeez, half of ScoobyNet can't go for a week without needing to go A&E !
Old 15 March 2013, 03:22 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

could be a chipped patella...I've always been given the same advice around knee injuries (four knee ops; ACL and PCL reconstruction, cartilage transplant and three arthroscopies), and agree with what has been said above about rest being very important but ensure you maintain a full range of movement.

Hope you heal quick.
Old 15 March 2013, 04:00 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

The only way to be sure is an MRI scan. I have had 2 arthroscopies , torn miniscus and level 2 mcl tear, did that a Brazilian jiu jitsu about 5 years ago, 2nd was a tidy up due to fragments from the healing process. A good now, back at jits and it hasn't stopped my snowboarding and skiing
Old 15 March 2013, 04:24 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My misses had something similar.....

She was walking down the street and fell and banged her knee......went to the docs and he said it is fine as he could not see any damage. Anyway, pain got worse and then she realised that it was actually her wrist she had hurt but got confused.

So when I say she had something similar I actually meant had nothing similar at all.

Hope that helps.
Old 15 March 2013, 04:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

An x-ray probably would show a tiny crack if there was one there, but your GP sounds like they are deferring an x-ray because they think you have soft tissue inflammation +- infection and are treating that first. That seems reasonable to me, how long have you given the latest treatment to work? If it is worsening each day rather than slowly improving despite treatment then go back, and they may well then x-ray it. Fractures are immobilised in plaster to help pain, but I doubt you're walking around with a displaced fracture that needs reducing into the correct position.

Take it up further with the GP if things don't go how you/they expect is the bottom line. Skilled but remote BBS diagnosis without the full information is difficult as I'm sure you understand.
Old 15 March 2013, 06:52 PM
rich0375
Scooby Regular

I'm going through this now, came off my motorbike last summer, along with my other injuries was a broken kneecap, tore my ligaments and everything off too, they xrayed it, operated on it same day, just screwed and stapled everything back where it should be, lots of physio and try to get back to normal, seems pretty straight forward, they also said you dont even need a kneecap anyway!
Old 15 March 2013, 08:43 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
An x-ray probably would show a tiny crack if there was one there, but your GP sounds like they are deferring an x-ray because they think you have soft tissue inflammation +- infection and are treating that first. That seems reasonable to me, how long have you given the latest treatment to work? If it is worsening each day rather than slowly improving despite treatment then go back, and they may well then x-ray it. Fractures are immobilised in plaster to help pain, but I doubt you're walking around with a displaced fracture that needs reducing into the correct position.

Take it up further with the GP if things don't go how you/they expect is the bottom line. Skilled but remote BBS diagnosis without the full information is difficult as I'm sure you understand.
Thanks JB. I've only been on the antibiotics for 48 hours so far so hoping they will soon kick in and things may turn a corner this weekend.

I have a helpful GP and will get back to him in a week if no obvious improvement or sooner if necessary.

David
Old 16 March 2013, 09:19 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by trails
(four knee ops; ACL and PCL reconstruction, cartilage transplant and three arthroscopies).
Pah! 4? Amateur hour

I'm currently on 16...on the same knee - two full open knee jobs and 14 athroscopies...all trying to keep a nice and crunchy knee creaking along as long as possible before a replacement at some point in the future.

I've had the cartilage transplant too (ACI)- it worked well for several years.
Old 16 March 2013, 10:03 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

My cartilage transplant worked ok but bmx has killed it so my surgeon has been talking about stem cell next sround. The six weeks no load bearing was awegul too...skinny leg ftw!
Old 16 March 2013, 01:34 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing you don't want is an infested knee.
Old 16 March 2013, 02:10 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss

sunt

d
Old 18 March 2013, 07:31 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by trails
My cartilage transplant worked ok but bmx has killed it so my surgeon has been talking about stem cell next sround. The six weeks no load bearing was awegul too...skinny leg ftw!
Yep, skiing didnt help my ACI or knees generally but what can you do
Skinny leg -lol - yep had 2 x 6 week no load bearing sessions, plus the first open knee was old school so I was in a plaster cast from hip to ankle for an initial 6 weeks as well. More pipe cleaner than skinny leg after that one I still have totally different muscle shape on my left to right leg as a result.

Stem cell ? Hmm, that's a new one on me, will have to look that one up.

Infested knee -lol- I do sometimes think that I have a touch of woodworm or something
Old 19 March 2013, 03:07 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Yep, skiing didnt help my ACI or knees generally but what can you do
Skinny leg -lol - yep had 2 x 6 week no load bearing sessions, plus the first open knee was old school so I was in a plaster cast from hip to ankle for an initial 6 weeks as well. More pipe cleaner than skinny leg after that one I still have totally different muscle shape on my left to right leg as a result.

Stem cell ? Hmm, that's a new one on me, will have to look that one up.

Infested knee -lol- I do sometimes think that I have a touch of woodworm or something
this is my surgeon...can't find any stem cell links specific to him though...

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/artic...-knee-surgery/
Old 19 March 2013, 04:38 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that - been through quite a few myself, but eventually ended up at the RNOH under the (guru) Prof George Bentley. He's probably retired now, but he trained a lot of the leading surgeons out there and was one of the first to do the ACI and various other procedures in the UK.

The annoying bit is that I have all these issue with my knee, whereas my 6 years older brother has had none despite being 6'6", 23 stone and having played rugby until he was well over 50... I obviously got the Friday afternoon knee fitted when God was thinking about where he was going clubbing on the weekend...:Grrr
Old 19 March 2013, 04:54 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that - been through quite a few myself, but eventually ended up at the RNOH under the (guru) Prof George Bentley. He's probably retired now, but he trained a lot of the leading surgeons out there and was one of the first to do the ACI and various other procedures in the UK.

The annoying bit is that I have all these issue with my knee, whereas my 6 years older brother has had none despite being 6'6", 23 stone and having played rugby until he was well over 50... I obviously got the Friday afternoon knee fitted when God was thinking about where he was going clubbing on the weekend...:Grrr
I think I've been pretty lucky with Prof Cheah; I lucked out and got him when I was 27 and had my first rebuild on the NHS and have had him for every other op privately for the past thirteen years. The continuity has helped I think.

I first damaged mine bailing off my BMX to avoid a crash...I still wonder if I should of stayed on it and rode it out
Old 19 March 2013, 05:06 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Beat me to it. I was going to suggest changing your GP, he sounds illiterate to me.
Old 19 March 2013, 06:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wayne9t9
Beat me to it. I was going to suggest changing your GP, he sounds illiterate to me.
I haven't edited it so as not to spoil your little boy fun

d
Old 19 March 2013, 07:46 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Take care of your knees and think nothing of going out and spending £100 on a good knee brace/support as you will thank your self for it in years to come. I have snapped my anteria cruciate in both knees and they cause nothing but grief and twenty years later I did a cartilage in my right knee which is really bad and now I'm worried in case I get the same problem in my left knee

I'm pretty sure if I strapped them up properly at a younger age when I had an ache I could of prevented the injuries. I now have supports for most joints in my van as I have a physical job so prefer to be safe than sorry
Old 20 March 2013, 12:05 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Wise words - I'm like Robocop when I go skiing I have so many bits of extraneous armour and carbon fibre and straps and stuff
Old 20 March 2013, 03:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was on a ladder which slid down and I landed on my knee and my hand very heavily. The wrist was badly smashed and the ball joint was broken off the thigh bone. This caused permanent damage to the thigh and buttock muscles which means I have to walk with an arm crutch now with no prospect of recovery.

I think you got off lightly. I imagine that the muscular pain which you have now will eventually go away.

Les
Old 21 March 2013, 02:03 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Wise words - I'm like Robocop when I go skiing I have so many bits of extraneous armour and carbon fibre and straps and stuff
Got one of these...bloody brilliant they are

http://www.ctikneebraces.co.uk/The-CTi-brace/CTi