Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shameless - Last ever series

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2013, 02:00 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shameless - Last ever series

Just in case anyone missed it Shameless is back for a final fling.

It must have been going for 10 years now and it's as strong as ever imo, thoroughly enjoyed the first episode

I'd like to see some of the old characters pop back in like Gav, Mickey, Paddy, Ian and the Geordie Lesbian !!
Old 28 February 2013, 02:18 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched jus about all if them over the years, I mate I used to go to school with was in the first 2 series, Played Kev the barman ....Dean Kelly.
Old 28 February 2013, 03:48 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

I was wondering if he would pop back as well as he turned up in one episode of the last series.
Old 01 March 2013, 11:02 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Sergeant Randall was a nice addition to series 11 Lucky Shane !

Old 01 March 2013, 01:00 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show makes me feel physically sick.

Have to quickly turn over when I stumble across it.
Old 02 March 2013, 09:29 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I think Shameless show has been truly shameless and outstanding with the depiction of what it aimed for. Frank for his baby Jesus episode will be long remembered.

Old 02 March 2013, 07:42 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Loved the early shows written by Paul Abbott, and shows 100, 101 and 102 which he returned to write. It has been going downhill in recent years though as ideas dry up and plot-lines got more tenuous and unbelievable. Even the nudity got less prevalent as I guess the actors gained fame and demanded more for doing their jobs.
Old 02 March 2013, 10:50 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

So let's get this straight, we're talking about a show whose central character is an unemployed drunken waster, the kind of bloke who most of the regulars on NSR take every opportunity to vilify and rant about whenever the general subject of benefit spongers comes up, and people are actually sorry it's coming to an end?
Old 03 March 2013, 08:39 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

It's been **** for the last few series
Old 03 March 2013, 09:15 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
So let's get this straight, we're talking about a show whose central character is an unemployed drunken waster, the kind of bloke who most of the regulars on NSR take every opportunity to vilify and rant about whenever the general subject of benefit spongers comes up, and people are actually sorry it's coming to an end?
On of the main reasons why I don't watch it. I just don't get how it can be classed as entertainment.

Not slagging anyone off for watching it, each to their own.

It's just not for me.

I'd rather watch 3 middle blokes prat about in cars.
Old 03 March 2013, 10:16 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

100% agree, a TV show that makes viewers aspire to be scum... great idea
Old 03 March 2013, 10:47 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Seriously are you saying that watching a TV show inspires people to be like the characters they see portrayed on the screen ?

People find entertainment in all manner of things, if we all liked the same thing it would be a little boring.
Old 03 March 2013, 11:08 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Seriously are you saying that watching a TV show inspires people to be like the characters they see portrayed on the screen ?

People find entertainment in all manner of things, if we all liked the same thing it would be a little boring.
Seriously, are you saying a show like this won't have had that effect on at least some of the people who watched it?

For you it might have just been about entertainment, but I'm sure for a fair number of viewers it will have been about empathizing or identifying with the show's characters, and feeling validated about living their lives in the same way.
Old 03 March 2013, 11:29 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Seriously, are you saying a show like this won't have had that effect on at least some of the people who watched it?
For you it might have just been about entertainment, but I'm sure for a fair number of viewers it will have been about empathizing or identifying with the show's characters, and feeling validated about living their lives in the same way.

Yes I am

If anyone is influenced by a TV programme to become something they're not then they're already at the bottom of the gene pool imho.

Chavs and Scroungers dont need programmes like Shameless to validate their place in life, their peers and parents and the easy benefit culture in this country managed that for them a long time ago.

As an example I watch Ben and Holly's little Kingdom with my youngest. it certainly doesn't inspire me to become an elf and life in a tree
Old 03 March 2013, 12:06 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Hey I'm not stopping you watching it or enjoying it, but yes I am saying some will be influenced by it. People are influenced all the time by things they see, read and hear, to different degrees I grant you, but if they weren't then advertising and marketing would not work!
Old 03 March 2013, 12:18 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Yes I am

If anyone is influenced by a TV programme to become something they're not then they're already at the bottom of the gene pool imho.
Chavs and Scroungers dont need programmes like Shameless to validate their place in life, their peers and parents and the easy benefit culture in this country managed that for them a long time ago.

As an example I watch Ben and Holly's little Kingdom with my youngest. it certainly doesn't inspire me to become an elf and life in a tree
... and I occasionally watch a few minutes of Jeremy Kyle, just to remind myself of exactly why it is I don't sit on my @rse all day and allow myself to turn into one of its participants. That still doesn't mean I'd want to watch a fictionalized portrayal of those very people living their day-to-day lives, in hour-long episodes for weeks on end. But hey, if that's what rocks your boat, mourn away at the passing of this pillar of our cultural landscape
Old 03 March 2013, 01:13 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
It will depend upon what the viewer's mental age is. Well-grounded people with the capacity of discriminating between wrong and right wouldn't get influenced by something what they watch and turn it into a scumbag. You may say that well-grounded goodies wouldn’t watch it at first place. Well, they may; just to see how much of **** actually DOES exist in this cultured and civilised society, no matter how much of a blind eye one gives to it. The show as realistically as possible depicts the other way of life, which is an eye-opener.

Also, programme like Shameless and Jeremy Kyle are watched by millions to feel better about themselves in comparison to the filthy and immoral underclass. Not that nothing as scum-like and dysfunctional goes on in higher classes. Ironically, it goes on in a classier way; in comparison.

I think Shameless has run its course, and it needs to end. I watched random episodes from the first/second series, and found them quite funny. It was unbearably sick at places, I agree. Besides all that chunder-causing qualities, I still think that the show has been an outstanding effort by its maker/s, and they succeeded to portray the underclass very well. A show that has its place on the timeline; well worth reflecting when the times of today become a history in one way or other.

Last edited by Turbohot; 03 March 2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03 March 2013, 02:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If anyone thinks Shameless is bad for giving the impression thats it ok to be a scummy Mancunian. Please for the love of god don't watch "People Like Us".

I didn't even manage one episode before walking out the living room in disgust

IMHO Shameless has lost its gritty edge, now its seem to be too much about the characters pratting about doing something illegal/immoral with impunity. In the earlier series there was always an underlying side to the antics that would give a clever twist to the plot.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 March 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03 March 2013, 02:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You've just reminded me of the episode where Frank was forced to get a job or have his benefits cut.

Anyone want a Pakora?
Old 03 March 2013, 04:40 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

Im gutted its ending. I've loved every series.
I guess im part of the social under-belly as a 24 year old business owner with his own house