Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car Leasing

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2013, 08:39 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Leasing

I'm not sure where to ask these questions as leasing companies seem to have different wording/ policies
Does anyone lease a car and do you find it cheaper than buying?

I've been changing my cars on average every 2-3 months as i get bored quickly and can honestly admit i've blown all my money over the years and have nothing to show (current Clio 200 is ok but it's still on a loan for another 3 years)

I was thinking of leasing a new car, something sportyish, modern and reliable (although it would have a warranty with it being new).
My thinking is if i lease over 12 months then i'm stuck with it so wont be able to p/x which will save me money, i wont be able to modify also saving me money and depreciation wont be an issue

With a personal contract lease the spec says the car comes with 12 months tax - do i still pay for insurance, servicing (does it have to go to main dealers for servicing?), do i pay for wear + tear (tyres, brakes, etc) or is this down to leasing company?
If my situation changed in the future and i had to cut back would i have to pay a penalty to hand the car back?
If i had an accident and the car was written off i guess the insurance would pay the lease company direct?
If it was accident damaged and repaired would the lease company impose a penalty on me for any excess depreciation due to loss of value?

Thanks
Old 26 February 2013, 08:48 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thinking behind lease is "use not ownership".........use some willpower stick with the Clio until you have paid it off

Shaun
Old 26 February 2013, 08:51 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking if i keep the Clio i'm going to have to start spending to keep it going in the future - it is a Renault

Just thought if i lease then i shouldn't have any bills apart from fuel and insurance?
Old 26 February 2013, 09:04 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lease cars but for my company.

Servicing is included as an optional extra, its a "maintenance" payment, covers servicing, tyres, breakdowns etc

If you lease they will ask you do you want to pay a one off gap insurance as If you wrote it off and they value the car more on contract than what the insurance pays out you will be left with the shortfall.

Yes you will have a penalty if you want to chop it in and change or if circumstances change.

You can either take a complete leasing package which includes insurance, although we do our own as it works out cheaper, but we have a fleet and have insurance for any driver on any of our cars for any age driver, it may be different for your circumstances.

You will be liable for any marks or dents to the car over a certain size as this is not considered wear and rear and the same for the inside, any damage you will be liable for and will charge you a fair whack If you don't put it right, they will send it where ever they choose and basically bill you the damages.

It can work out cheaper for those of you who don't value a car and just see it as something to blast about in as its not yours and if it goes wrong it goes back and you get a replacement until yours is sorted, you don't have any of the costs you normally would as its all part of the package, you just add fuel basically. Do your research and make sure its for you as once you enter the contract its yours come what may, at least you can still sell your car and pay the finance off at the min but if something changes with a leased car its tough ****! Its staying end of! And if it does go back you will still end up paying it off anyway so think twice and act once, if it is for you then go for it, me personally for my own car couldn't do it, my car is my hobby and passion so not having the option to do what I wanted with it would kill me, and at the end of the contract you still get some kind of return in your hand, may not be alot but its something, you just need to work out what's cheaper your finance now or a fixed term lease taking all your running costs in to consideration