Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Emergency holiday at work question

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2013, 09:17 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Emergency holiday at work question

I'm asking this for a friend, my mate had to take an emergency day off from work the other day so he could take his wife to hospital for an emergency check up, his work are now asking for proof of this but his wife is less than eager for him to take details in. Does he have to provide this info, pretty much rock and a hard place.

Cheers

James
Old 21 February 2013, 09:21 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

as its a big company id refer to the Company policy or their contract for reference,
is it HR that's asking or just his supervisor/team leader ?
If it is just his boss id have a word with HR and explain its of a sensitive nature.
Old 21 February 2013, 09:33 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Not sure ill check, cheers mate. They know why it was but she dosent know he told them, think its quite a big company?
Old 21 February 2013, 09:38 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't be a very good company to work for! I work for a very big company and they wouldn't even question it let alone ask for proof!
Old 21 February 2013, 09:51 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Yeah, I just searched the net they have a terrible reputation for treating staff badly and it's a huge company.
Old 21 February 2013, 10:00 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paulo P
Can't be a very good company to work for! I work for a very big company and they wouldn't even question it let alone ask for proof!
Sounds like mine. I had exactly the same problem where I work when I needed to go to an appointment with my Mam, and they knew exactly what was going on.

I think it would perhaps be best for him to speak to HR, also, is there any way he could get an appointment card/letter from the hospital detailing the time/date, but no actual details regarding what the appointment was for??

I hope he gets sorted.
Old 21 February 2013, 12:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This^^^

Trending Topics

Old 21 February 2013, 12:54 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

glad i work for a reasonable company, if i get a problem and need to take a day for something like that the attitude is 'family first' and thats a big multi national, although its at managers descretion so prob having a decent manager helps.
Old 21 February 2013, 01:35 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
prob having a decent manager helps.
It will
Old 21 February 2013, 02:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said, who exactly is asking? If it's their manager, then I'd go and talk to HR and explain the situation. If it is HR asking, then it's difficult, but a polite question of why exactly they need the proof would be worth asking. As it was for his wife, this would be providing the company with private and personal information, and I'm pretty sure contracts do not require you to do that.
Might be worth phoning the CAB and asking them about this type of thing.

Thankfully I've a very understanding workplace. Had to take an extra week off after our son was born (I had booked two weeks off) and they were perfectly fine with it. I said I'd be ok taking it unpaid leave, they would not hear of it and still paid me.
Old 21 February 2013, 07:50 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Why not get him to take it as a days holiday then that resolves the issue of proof.
Old 22 February 2013, 01:30 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Why not get him to take it as a days holiday then that resolves the issue of proof.
I think that is what he has done, perhaps because it has been short notice, his employer is asking for proof regarding what the holiday was for.

That is what happened where I work. I needed to put a day in as holiday to go to an appointment with my Mam, but because it was less than 4 weeks notice I was giving (company policy) they wanted proof of it being an appointment I was going to. They have done the same with my own hospital appointments too.
Old 22 February 2013, 07:39 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

But if they accepted the day of as part of your annual leave, it really has fek all to do with them what you did during your time off.
Clearly it was last minute but any decent company would be understanding and let you go on compassionate grounds.
I can only understand a company being like this if the employee was always taking time off sick or ringing in with 'emergencies'.
A lad who no longer works with us called in with 'problems' every other week. I'm sure he had more than 2 grandmas die, he'd rush his wife or son to hostipal if they so much as sneezed... We just tolerated it but often joked/debated about how many of his problems were genuine.
Otherwise he was never asked for proof or questioned.

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 22 February 2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 22 February 2013, 08:46 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
But if they accepted the day of as part of your annual leave, it really has fek all to do with them what you did during your time off.
Yes, but it probably states in your contract how much notice you need to give for taking leave.
Generally most companies will be ok, but clearly the company in question are not.