Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

wife pranged another car - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2002, 12:47 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

So, the wife backed into somebody else's car door yesterday. Thankfully, not in the Scoob, but it did leave a nasty scratch on our Golf's bumper.
The owner of the car she bumped took my wife's name and address, but nothing else. My wife took no details of the other driver.

So what happens now? Will that owner have to contact us again before claiming off their insurance company, or will their insurance company write to us after they've received the claim to ask who to get reimbursement from (since it was totally the wife's fault which she admitted at the time)?
What i really want to do is avoid involving my insurance company at all, as the Golf and the Scoob are both with the same guys (Privilege) and i don't want the Scoob premium to be under "review".
Anyone know what's likely to happen from here please, and do i need to do anything now to avoid Privilege being involved? Ta very much,

Terry
Old 16 May 2002, 01:00 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you have no details of the other car / driver at all then I think you have one option..

Wait until you get a letter.. was the damage bad, are they likely to say forget about it.. like old car etc..

You should be able to settle with out involving your insurance with the owner or his insurance company.
Only down point is that if you settle with the insurance company then your wife will have to declare a fault accident as it will be on insurance records. A parking bump shouldn't go much against her especially with no actual claim on her insurance.. IMHO...

Just try and make sure your wife knows to get the other drivers name and address and a phone number and registration should anything happen again.
Then you can sort it direct.

JGM
Old 16 May 2002, 01:04 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

In actual fact it is a legal requirement to exchange details after an accident.

I believe the other driver would be at fault too as he didn't give his details to your wife.

Not worth persuing but if they get nasty in a letter or hessitant to not go through insurance, might be worth highlighting.

JGM
Old 16 May 2002, 01:05 PM
Adam_K
Scooby Regular

find out what the damage is and see how much it is to pay out of your own pocket if u don't wanna involve the insurance company.

how bad was the damage?
Old 16 May 2002, 01:09 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

I have a number for a good divorce lawyer
Old 16 May 2002, 01:18 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Keep a cheap disposable camera in the glovebox. When your wife has another prang, photo both vehicles (and weather, road etc if necessary).

I was in the car when my girlfriend drove into the back of someone else. Hers was a mess, his was fine. She gave insurance details, like the good girl just past her test as she was, he smiled nicely at her (hey, she was pretty), and off they went.

Three weeks later, he claims for 200 quid for a new bumper. It was untouched, the robber.

Human nature...

BJH
Old 16 May 2002, 01:20 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unfortunately i didn't see the incident, but i don't think it's particularly bad. Apparently the other owner was very nice about it, as it happened in the kid's nursery carpark, so they were two mums together not knowing quite what to do.
At the end of the day, i guess if i get a letter from their insurers, i can speak to Privilege and ask them how it would affect my policies and so on. Although i know they're always cagey about what effect it would have on premiums. I do however have protected NCB on both cars, but i've never believed that they won't hammer you at renewal time, even with this supposed protection.
Old 16 May 2002, 01:25 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes well the thing being you have to declare the accident so they up the premium but you no claims remains intact so you still get the % off of the figure... so not as bad as when not protected because then no claims goes down and you get hit for the accident claim.

Only thing to watch out for is the husband of the other driver might not be so understanding..

All you can do is wait for a letter...