Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Laying wood laminate flooring in the bathroom...

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2002, 10:58 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I want to take up the carpet and lay a nice clean, fresh laminate wood floor in the bathroom. I've already done this in the kitchen and looks great. Are there any issues with laying this stuff onto floorboards? I'm not too worried about damp/moister. The on in the kitchen was covered in water the whole day once due to a water leak and it's still in perfect condition. Just wanted to know what I needed to do about laying onto floorboards...

Any experience / advice ?

Cheers
Old 16 May 2002, 11:11 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

just done this myself nimbus, and was advised to lay a sheet of thin plywood first - not sure why, but is does look the dees bees
Old 16 May 2002, 11:28 AM
Toplift
Scooby Regular

Yes 3mm plywood underneath is the way to go. It smooths out the wavy floor boards. One thing to consider though is that once you have done the job you will no longer have easy access to any radiator piping or ring main wiring under the floor boards in you bathroom.
Old 16 May 2002, 11:32 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I assume you just lay the plywood sheets across the floorboards (rather than a long them). How wide were the plywood strips you used?

Looking to sell the house anyway, so not too worried about access to pipes etc . We just think that the current floor is letting the room down. Hopfully a bit of investment here will do the job.
Old 16 May 2002, 11:41 AM
Toplift
Scooby Regular

Yep that's right across. But as 'plywood' is made up of alternating grain it doesn't matter too much. Buy the largest pieces you can (as this works out cheaper) usually 8' x 4' (2.44 x 1.22m).
Old 16 May 2002, 11:45 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Size might be limited to what I can fit in the scoob though..

Cheers for the help.
Old 16 May 2002, 11:52 AM
Toplift
Scooby Regular

That's why I got a Landy as well. No worries
Old 16 May 2002, 01:29 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend is on a me to sort out the flooring in our bathroom, how do you go about cutting round the toilet/sink stand for the plywood/flooring - are you able to easily remove these whilst laying the floor?

Cheers

Richard
Old 16 May 2002, 01:31 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

I had a laminate-look spongy lino fitted recently.

Looks just like the real thing, but is totally waterproof and fits snugly to every corner of the bathroom
Old 16 May 2002, 01:40 PM
Toplift
Scooby Regular

If the sink pedestal is sitting on a carpet or other flooring you may be able to remove it temorarily and lay the new flooring under it. It will usually however be fixed to the floor boards. In which case you need to cut round it. Use card, scraps of ply and a bit of time and make a template for the shapes you need.

Cutting slots for pipes and all the bits directly behind the sink/toilet can be a b@stid. One thing to remember though is you can get away with a certain amount of untidiness where joints are concerned behind the toilet, because even the most snoopy of mother-in-laws rarely get on their hands and knees and inspect behind a toilet bowl!
Old 16 May 2002, 01:53 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that I'll give it a go....I knew it wasn't going to be easy!

Richard
Old 16 May 2002, 02:51 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I used under laminate boarding. It's 6mm thick fibreboard and, like plywood, sorts out the unevenness.

Old 16 May 2002, 05:10 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree with DJ Dunk here - the laminate look vinyl is unreal - just about to get some in half of the kitchen and hopefully some for the bathroom as well. Works out cheap enough, easy to lay, and you can include mini border inserts such as mosaic, darker wood etc.

Really great stuff

DW
Old 16 May 2002, 05:13 PM
Homer Simpson
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Read somewhere that you will need to glue the boards together, even if it is the glueless stuff.

It prevents the water from seeping between the boards and warping them.
Old 16 May 2002, 05:25 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

The hardboard is, as already stated, simply there to even out the floorboards. I've always laid onto closed cell foam underlay, with a layer of hardboard as well only if the boards are bad.

Standard wood laminate isn't the best solution for bathroom use - water damage could be a major issue if you aim to stay for more than a couple of years. It's not the occasional big flood that does the damage, it's the general humidity and continual dampness.

As mentioned above, make sure the flooring and gaps between are totally sealed, if you're not laying the flooring under the WC and sink, pay special attention to the edges - avoids the floor lifting up when damp starts to seep through.

I'd be inclined to go for either laminate designed for higher moisture environments, or more likely slap some nice lino down instead!!

Have fun!

[Edited by IanWatson - 5/16/2002 5:31:54 PM]