Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Was I being wound up? Starting a car.

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2013, 11:05 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was I being wound up? Starting a car.

So was this a wind up or am I just so ancient that I had never been told this before?

We have an old Saxo that we took in for MOT and said the only problem was starting the engine when cold as it seemed to catch and then die on us.

Garage guy said it started perfectly for him and he did what he always does which was to get in and floor the accelerator once and then turn ignition and start in usual way. He said that was the standard way of starting cars without a manual choke - which I guess is 99% of most cars nowadays. He reckoned this was the way to get the auto choke to kick in.

I said I had never heard of this and I got a look like I was some old codger who still drove around in a 1950 Ford Prefect.

Now this wasn't some trainee mechanic but the owner of the garage and I can't see why he should be saying this unless there was some truth in it.

So:-

1) Is he talking bollox?

2) Was it just a wind up?

3) Is there really something missing in my "how to start a car" vocabulary?

Oh and starting seems better now btw

David
Old 10 February 2013, 11:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds the wrong way round, ignition first.

But if it works better with his method.....

How much did he charge for this titbit info
Old 10 February 2013, 11:10 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember that the handbook in my old Astra Belmont advised that this was the way to engage the "automatic choke".
Old 10 February 2013, 11:12 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

like I was some old codger who still drove around in a 1950 Ford Prefect.

David

Old 10 February 2013, 11:14 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

This from a VW website:

The way the choke works is this: When the engine is cold the choke closes up so it's ready for a cold start (i.e., "rich" fuel/air mixture). When you press the throttle, the stepped cam on the left side of the carburetor (left is left side of the car) will rotate to match the closed choke and so will hold the throttle at high-idle, which is needed to keep a cold engine running. When you turn the ignition on, power flows to the coil for the ignition system; it also opens the idle fuel cutoff valve (solenoid) so the car will idle, and it also starts opening the choke. A heating element (the round thing on the right side at the top of the carburetor) expands as the electrical current to it warms it up. This starts to slowly open the choke and rotate the stepped cam so that the high-idle gradually drops back to normal.
Old 10 February 2013, 11:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yes and no:

On carburettor cars thats aren't a SU or Stromburg (eg Weber, Pierburg, Solex, Nikki, Mikuni etc), flooring the throttle does two things...pump extra fuel into the barrel of the carburettor from what is called a "accelerator pump" and if the carb has a auto choke, it also releases the tension off the throttle mechanism to allow a spring to engage the fast idle cam. The auto choke does two things, one is close a flap at the top of the choke of the carburretor (hence its name), the other is prevent the throttle from fully closing (hence the term "fast idle" ).

Anyone with a Weber DCOE equiped car will tell you give the pedal two or three pumps before starting the car when cold.

However:

Saxo has fuel injection, it has none of that. What that does is increase the injector duration and open the idle control valve more.

What it is is old and French and therefor not working quite right, so it need s bit of tickle on the pedal to overcome whatever is preventing the ECU to maintain a staisfactory cold idle. Its probably fouled up (low mileage, never thrashed?), as the early ones are single point injection so excessive carbon build up at the inlet soaks up the fuel and the idle control valves also go a bit dodgy.

Also on early Saxos...lift the accelerator pedal up to the top of its travel, silly as it seems but a bit of sloppyness in the throttle return springs prevent the ECU engaging the cold start idle routine properly. Did I say it was French?

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 February 2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: nikki not nissin LOL
Old 10 February 2013, 11:37 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Wow. Amazing the stuff you learn on SN. Thank you guys

dl

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2013, 12:27 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

My mrs' 106, a relative of the Saxo, lost its throttle potentiometer setting when the battery died, we had to go through a 'throttle to the floor, key to last click, foot off, key off, start up' and that would calibrate it. If you didn't, it would start until you took your foot off the throttle then die.
Old 10 February 2013, 01:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was a standard trick with the older engines with carburettors to floor the throttle before starting and allow it to close again so that the accelerator pump pushes a bit of fuel into the intake manifold to give it a rich mixture for a cold start. Too much pumping however can flood the engine.

Les
Old 10 February 2013, 06:53 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It was a standard trick with the older engines with carburettors to floor the throttle before starting and allow it to close again so that the accelerator pump pushes a bit of fuel into the intake manifold to give it a rich mixture for a cold start. Too much pumping however can flood the engine.

Les
i remember them days les
Old 10 February 2013, 07:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, us old boys remember when you had to press the accelerator to 'engage' or, more accurately, 'release' the Auto Choke flap on its spring - this would squirt neat fuel into the intake manifold AND close the choke flap.

After starting a 'blip' would settle the idle speed and open the choke flap a bit.

A press isn't needed these days at all - on anything!
Old 10 February 2013, 07:40 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
My mrs' 106, a relative of the Saxo, lost its throttle potentiometer setting when the battery died, we had to go through a 'throttle to the floor, key to last click, foot off, key off, start up' and that would calibrate it. If you didn't, it would start until you took your foot off the throttle then die.
That was problen in a nutshell.

So once re-set there was no moe need for foot to floor before starting??

David
Old 10 February 2013, 08:31 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

No, it set the throttle travel I presume. No problem once started. Also, it would not need doing again unless the battery was removed again.
Old 10 February 2013, 09:48 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Ahh the good old days of manual chokes!
I remember my first car having one and I'd convinced myself it would go faster if I left the choke out cause it would be running richer (1.0 Fiesta..)
Old 11 February 2013, 03:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

[quote=pslewis;10983984]Yeah, us old boys remember when you had to press the accelerator to 'engage' or, more accurately, 'release' the Auto Choke flap on its spring - this would squirt neat fuel into the intake manifold AND close the choke flap.

After starting a 'blip' would settle the idle speed and open the choke flap a bit.

A press isn't needed these days at all - on anything![/quote

So you are not a "pressed man" at all then!

Les