Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sales Reps.... love or hate?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2013, 09:31 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sales Reps.... love or hate?

We get these quite a lot coming to our Farm, and to be honest, they're a bit of a nuisance and we'd rather not have the hassle. The main ones being the sale reps for the feed that we use.

My friend has just got a new job working for Vax Vacuum Cleaners as a Regional Manager and had his first day at work today. Basically, what he does is goes round stores that stock Vax Cleaners such as Currys, John Lewis, etc, asking to speak to the store manager to talk to them about Vax Vacuum Cleaners and asks to see if the Vax display is nice and tidy. He covers 50 stores and has to visit each one ONCE a month, followed by a written report of each store which he has to do.

He told me that even after his first day, that 5 out of the 6 stores he visited today didn't really want him there and didn't want to see him; kinda fobbed him off, even though he is being paid by Vax to visit them.

I think once a month is WAY too frequent.... maybe once every 6 months just to talk to them about new products would be fine.

If anything, I think it'll put the stores off stocking Vax products simply due to the hassle of their reps! Obviously some big bosses have said "what can we do to try to increase the sales of our cleaners...." and thought of these new positions.

Last edited by LSherratt; 06 February 2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06 February 2013, 09:43 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I worked in Richer Sounds the reps weren't so much as a nuisance as just useless, they couldn't ever sort problems out and didn't know their stock.

The vast majority of them also had that sweaty alcoholic look about them.
Old 06 February 2013, 09:51 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep we are a building company we cover the uk aswell as abroad on government contracts, get all manner of reps coming in from light fittings to bomb proofing

they dont make appointments and just show up! i made the mistake of chatting to a couple to see what they had now they see my car or me thro the window (i look over the car park) and assume i want to chat and give them business.... its so f'in annoying when i am trying to get on

now ones that cold call at the office i reject totally
Old 06 February 2013, 09:58 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I dont mind if they are polite, or not scamming but when they demand comp slips or cards on a cold call, then get shirty when they are told - quite nicely - sorry but we dont do that yet still throw a few dirty looks or mutter something under their breath. Really gets me going when they are rude.

Cold calls on the phone are funny, if I am not busy I try and string them along for a bit - or start doing some crazy stuff. Some of them really go along with it LOL!
Old 06 February 2013, 10:00 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

yep they often come in drop a brochure off then get ask for a comp slip or card to prove they have been,
Old 07 February 2013, 09:21 AM
daz b
Scooby Regular

I have 3 branches of a national kitchen firm within 5 mile radius of where I live & work,the reps all visit me on average once a week each even though I have an account with the firm,they just want a card to say they have met a potential "new" customer.Idon't use them now because they pi@@ me off!!
Old 07 February 2013, 03:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have seen people putting up notices to say that sales reps are not welcome!

Les
Old 07 February 2013, 03:46 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

By appointment only for me and as we have a closed site they cannot get in to cold call.

So I only get to see maybe five reps. a year and they are all ones I want to talk to and usually already do business with. One that comes knows I don't want to necessarily talk work stuff and just want him to bring goodies (pens, mugs etc.) for my team and he always does, bless him.
Old 07 February 2013, 05:49 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Drug reps are a pain when they turn up unannounced and expect you to ignore patients so they can drill you with the 'benefits' of a new medication.
It's not the pharmacy that write the bloody prescriptions though is it?!

But, unfortunately not very often these days, they'll put on some sort of educational event that is useful and they give you freebies and a load of nice food!