Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HS2

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2013, 12:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HS2

Anyone wondering what the point is, can anyone explain why we need this, it seems like total overkill to save an hour between Manchester and London, it doesnt seem very weel planned, they have tunnel under East Midlands Airport, apparently EMA didnt know about this until the other day, they have to tunnel through Wythenshawe, under peoples houses, so every few minutes will their houses shake as a train thunders by underneath their feet ?

Loads of people have had compulsary purchase orders or will be haivng the track go through or past their houses, with all the attendant disruption, noise and impact, for years.

Can we afford this as a country, where is the benefit as I cant see it, if I want to go to London, I can get there in 2 hrs six minutes, an extra hour on the journey doesnt seem like a major imposition.
Old 03 February 2013, 12:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That's one way of looking at it.

The other is businessmen who travel down to London regularly. The trains in France, everyone said the same, now they are usually full, very reliable, quick and easy city centre to city centre. And they keep traffic off the roads, which can't be bad.
plus the French system now subsidises the ordinary trains and people clamour to have a TGV line go through their town.

But to be brutally honest, we could learn from the French.
Had OUR government done what the French did thirty to forty years ago, and told business/industry that they didn't want everything in, or outside Paris, we would now be in a better position, and some of the wealth the SE sees might now be shared out...just as it is in Paris.

Big business there and industry especially, were given grants to relocate themselves, everything but head office, away from Paris.

Result? Paris is not as crowded as London, and there is more work in the provinces, they don't have groaning infrastructure, and water shortages.

THAT might have made HS2 redundant.....certainly less necessary
Old 03 February 2013, 12:57 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not going to argue the reasons for and against the line, it's going ahead no matter what, but the whole planning and proposed method of building is a shambles.
As far as I understand it will start being built from one end only.
If construction were to start simultaneously at several locations it would speed up the construction process.
Surely that could be more economical, the longer that a project takes to build, the more the cost will rise.

Merseyside has been let down by HS2, it's not getting a direct route, instead passengers will need to change at Crewe to join the line. What's the point in that if you are a businessman in a hurry? It will only work if you can walk from one train straight on to another, chances of that are slim.
Old 03 February 2013, 01:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Another shambolic mess up.

How can it take 20 f**king years to buidl it???

No wonder the rest of the world laughs at us!
Old 03 February 2013, 01:49 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

China would do it in about 3, if that.
Old 03 February 2013, 02:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I feel that all the disturbance and upset that it will cause,as well as the enormous cost makes it unnecessary just to save a minimal amount of time.

I think its a "look at me" attempt by the politicians.

Les
Old 03 February 2013, 02:14 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I hear that the proposed route isn't the best,and are better options that are being ignored.
To be honest a country the size of the UK,and the limited towns/cities this HS2 will stop at,seems a bit of a waste and the money could go into maybe upgrading services so they run more efficiently,i'm not against doing something to build or upgrade transport in this country though.
Old 03 February 2013, 02:29 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

It's bloody ridiculous.
Old 03 February 2013, 02:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
China would do it in about 3, if that.
Brunel would have done it in a few months. Several thousand labourers and no worries about planning delays.

The damage to the countryside and wildlife will be enormous and can NEVER be restored. Put some more tracks down on existing routes and leave our beautiful countryside alone.

dl
Old 03 February 2013, 02:37 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

There was one politician in Leicestershire who isn't happy as it will go through his constituency. It will only knock half an hour off the journey to London.

Unfortunately, it will take them half an hour to drive to the nearest station to catch the train anyway.
Old 03 February 2013, 03:55 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

If anyone wants to drive to or from Nottingham to the station at Toton (that's Toe-ton, not Tot-on), then they're ****ed as the roads are a shambles and extremely congested.

There will have to be yet another tram extension added, to add to the current £multi-million project thats currently being built.

Lets face it - this is planned for 20 years time - A N Other residing government in the future could still can it.

I still believe the canal system we have in the UK could be utilised better, with a bit of money thrown at it.

Last edited by zip106; 03 February 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03 February 2013, 04:30 PM
leaat23
Scooby Newbie

My Sister is losing her house thanks to HS2, she has lived in that house for 26 years, raised her Son there and has been happily married for 25 years.

Her and her husband went to a meeting last Friday and were told in no uncertain circumstances that their house is going, and the whole side of the street she lives on. This must be 35-40 properties. They have also been told that they will get market value plus 10%, talking to people who have been subject to compulsory purchase orders before 'market value' means bugger all.

They have also been told that this order could be as soon as the beginning of NEXT year, they have also already started work on Toton sidings.

HS2 is being forced through parliament before the next election, I wonder why.

To say they are devastated is an understatement, all this so that fat rich businessmen can travel to and from London at high(er) speeds.
Old 03 February 2013, 04:41 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Why it takes 20 years...and why the Chinese can do it quicker.

...explained here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21231044
Old 03 February 2013, 05:05 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leaat23
My Sister is losing her house thanks to HS2, she has lived in that house for 26 years, raised her Son there and has been happily married for 25 years.

Her and her husband went to a meeting last Friday and were told in no uncertain circumstances that their house is going, and the whole side of the street she lives on. This must be 35-40 properties. They have also been told that they will get market value plus 10%, talking to people who have been subject to compulsory purchase orders before 'market value' means bugger all.

They have also been told that this order could be as soon as the beginning of NEXT year, they have also already started work on Toton sidings.

HS2 is being forced through parliament before the next election, I wonder why.

To say they are devastated is an understatement, all this so that fat rich businessmen can travel to and from London at high(er) speeds.
I know being compulsory purchased must be galling, but I think I'd prefer to be one being purchased than the poor buggers on the other side of the street that will have almost no chance of selling their house, and have to live along side the railway.

Who decides what the market value for your house is anyway - an 'independent' valuer provide by the government?

There's only one way that's going to go....
Old 03 February 2013, 05:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Listening to the various debates about the alleged benefits there does seem to be some real doubt about the economic side. For a start no one believes that it will "only" cost £32m and there are real questions about the effects on the actual positive aspects. For example it could just bring more business down to London and the SE, the reverse of what is hoped for.

Forget it and spend the money on developing industry and research.

dl
Old 03 February 2013, 05:20 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

this is one reason we need guidence from brussels....

Whitehall is 50 years out of touch with the rest of the world!!

HS2 should be all Uk.
Old 03 February 2013, 05:40 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Looks like could be more claims for hardship...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...41867550,d.d2k
Old 03 February 2013, 06:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have a link to the proposed route?

I can't see as I remember it going anywhere NEAR Nottingham, it was going to Birmingham and Manchester....
Old 03 February 2013, 06:40 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...in-detail.html

https://www.gov.uk/hs2-phase-two-ini...d-profile-maps

Last edited by zip106; 03 February 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03 February 2013, 06:52 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Market value + 10% ....

For me, it would be a price I think is reasonable to cover the hassle and the cost of the move (like stamp duty at the next house) etc etc. And 10% does not come close.

The real crafty guys will be the larger land owners. I know someone who was CPO'd and the money that changed hands in the end was unreal. The agent he used for the deal got his % of course, but they know all the tricks.
Old 03 February 2013, 07:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Funny how, as a country we cant return an illegal immigrant who has committed a crime due to him having a Cat and Human RIghts but your home can be ripped from under you or devalued beyonf recognition and you have little right of reply.
Old 03 February 2013, 09:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

How is that odd?

The politicians have ALWAYS been able to do what THEY want.....

The route seems to parallel the M1 quite a lot.
It's an AWFUL long way round to Leeds and Sheffield, via Birmingham, though......
Old 03 February 2013, 10:54 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The damage to the environment will be significant and the the cost so massively huge, I just can't see it makes sense on any level. £33 billion plus to create a possible 100,000 jobs? Most normal people are already trying to cut down on unnecessary travel due to the cost. http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...e-8478609.html
Old 03 February 2013, 10:58 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Listening to the various debates about the alleged benefits there does seem to be some real doubt about the economic side. For a start no one believes that it will "only" cost £32m and there are real questions about the effects on the actual positive aspects. For example it could just bring more business down to London and the SE, the reverse of what is hoped for.

Forget it and spend the money on developing industry and research.

dl
It will just mean that London can suck more talented individuals to work down there, as it won't take so long to commute.

Imagine the difference in pay between doing the same job in London and Lincolnshire, if you are travellling from near the Toton terminal. The difference in travel time will be negligible compared with the difference in wages.
Old 03 February 2013, 11:14 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
How is that odd?

The politicians have ALWAYS been able to do what THEY want.....

The route seems to parallel the M1 quite a lot.
It's an AWFUL long way round to Leeds and Sheffield, via Birmingham, though......
The M1 will have to have several miles re-aligned to make way for the railway.
Old 03 February 2013, 11:32 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

If we can afford to replace Trident, we can definitely afford HS2.
Old 03 February 2013, 11:35 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

It will probably never even be a proper high speed railway anyway, the same thing will happen as happened to the ECML in the '90s, and the WCML twice, in the '60s & '00s:

1/ The construction budget will spiral out of control,
2/ The shortfall will be partly recovered by cutting right back on the signalling systems and,
3/ As a result, the trains will only ever run at about 80% of their design speed
Old 03 February 2013, 11:36 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
If we can afford to replace Trident, we can definitely afford HS2.
I wasn't aware that HS2 would provide a nuclear deterrent.
Old 03 February 2013, 11:39 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I wasn't aware that HS2 would provide a nuclear deterrent.
And we need a Nuclear deterrent?
Old 03 February 2013, 11:41 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Do we need HS2?

Quick Reply: HS2