Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ideas where to go on holiday with a 2year old

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2013, 08:52 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas where to go on holiday with a 2year old

It s that time of the year again and we are looking for some where to go on holiday this June. Our daughter will be nearly two so we would like a nice all inclusive hotel with good entertainment and close to a town.

Any suggestions?

Where you planning on going this year
Old 07 January 2013, 09:17 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having the same dilemma with my 13 Month old daughter, no idea where to go that will be suitable for parents and baby.
Old 07 January 2013, 10:22 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

we like the Riu Hotel in Portugal..
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...a_Algarve.html

book through 1st Cloice

we've been to it twice now and in taotal 4 of their hotels.. really like the set up and food is very good.
Old 07 January 2013, 11:44 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Due to the mrs and little 'un not having a passport at all and mine being in my old last name, we're staying in the UK for our first family holiday and having a week in Great Yarmouth. Probably going beginning of June and going to stay in a chalet over a caravan. Plenty of stuff for my son to do who will then be 2 and a bit. Quite looking forwards to it actually
Old 07 January 2013, 11:54 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

At the age of 2 and if mine is anything to go by anywhere that can provide warm sunny weather with a sandy beach and plenty of buckets and spades and sand castle building or failing that a warm outdoor swimming pool. What else could a 2 year old want?! Abroad or at home (if you are happy to gamble on the weather) they won't care.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 07 January 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08 January 2013, 01:14 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Ask Gary Glitter?

I'll get me coat
Old 08 January 2013, 06:49 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We took our little ones here: http://www.sandsresort.co.uk/

Very child's friendly,lots of things to do for the little ones and a short walk from sandy beaches. The only gamble is the weather.
Old 08 January 2013, 07:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear France is good

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-arrested?lite
Old 08 January 2013, 07:38 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

We Did Barbados with an 18 Month old, altho depends on how good they are, 8 hour flight could be somewhat daunting, luckily we ended up with 4 seats for the price of 2 as the flight was quite empty which maybe made it easier.
Old 08 January 2013, 07:46 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We did Camp du Mar in Majorca when our was was a month off two then again last year when he girl was 18 months old. Very pleasant. We stayed in self contained apartments but there are a few hotels nearby.

Loads of great restaurants, lovely scenery, lush water temp and safe for kids, easy transfer from the airport.

Just avoid Goldcar rental at ALL costs!
Old 08 January 2013, 08:57 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Anywhere you can drive to. It's unfair on everyone to fly with a two year old. I wouldn't with our lad (20 months) as I know what a PITA he'd be

We tend to have holiday cottages in the UK or camp if the weather is really nice. We took him to Ireland last year when he was just over three months if you must go abroad Ferry was good and it meant we had our own car at the other end. Could even head down to the south of France if you were keen.
Old 08 January 2013, 09:11 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Our little girl flew a month before her 2bd birthday and she was fine. But that was Spain , anything over 2 hours isn't fair on young children
Old 08 January 2013, 09:25 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ant
anything over 2 hours isn't fair on young children
I agree.

Not really fair on other people either.
Old 08 January 2013, 09:37 AM
Orangio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I agree.

Not really fair on other people either.
+1

The last thing anyone wants on a long flight is someone elses kid screaming
Old 08 January 2013, 09:58 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Orangio
+1

The last thing anyone wants on a long flight is someone elses kid screaming
Completely agree.

Our friends have taken their little girl (19 months) on about 3 holidays now! Crazy!
Old 08 January 2013, 10:35 AM
Orangio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Completely agree.

Our friends have taken their little girl (19 months) on about 3 holidays now! Crazy!
Whats the point

Kid is too young to remember anything, and they'd be to busy looking after the kid to enjoy the holiday, plus the inconvenience of it more than likely screaming on the plane due to it's ears popping for everyone else to put up with! What a great way for others to start/end their holiday!

I know when I have kids I wont take them away until they're old enough to dress and feed themselves and know when to be quiet when told.

But maybe that's because I'm more considerate than others, not to bring a young baby/kid on a plane
Old 08 January 2013, 10:53 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

I'll disagree, we had comments from several other passengers that they didnt even know we had her with us. Does depend on the child massively tho and we wouldnt have booked it if she wasnt so relaxed. Infact she slept for 5 of the 8 hours.
Old 08 January 2013, 11:14 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't take ours on a long haul flight yet. Majorca was about two hours and fine both ways.
Old 08 January 2013, 11:21 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Orangio
Whats the point

Kid is too young to remember anything, and they'd be to busy looking after the kid to enjoy the holiday, plus the inconvenience of it more than likely screaming on the plane due to it's ears popping for everyone else to put up with! What a great way for others to start/end their holiday!
Its actually good fun taking a 2 year old on holiday, it doesn't matter if they remember it or not. They love playing in the sand, maybe jumping in the water.

If they are happy I am happy.
Old 08 January 2013, 12:11 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I doubt my son (ask Alcazar) would be any good on a plane at all at his age so we were quite restricted. He wants to be everywhere, poking every nut and bolt, looking under seats etc. and is firmly in the 'terrible twos' now. At least in the car down the the Holiday Park I know he'll nod off from the cars engine and have facilities to tire us/entertain him
Old 08 January 2013, 12:15 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Centerparcs is good for the toddlers

Self catering or hotel, the restuarants in the centre have soft play areas, swimming pool is indoor and has a toddler section, the Thetford one has a lake and a manmade beach too. Toddler workshops etc. Plus there is a health Spa and golf course too so either mum or dad can lose themselves for a couple of hours
Old 08 January 2013, 12:17 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Its actually good fun taking a 2 year old on holiday, it doesn't matter if they remember it or not. They love playing in the sand, maybe jumping in the water.

If they are happy I am happy.
Couldn't agree more Dave. One of the joys of having kids on holiday is that the selfish high expectations you did have just evaporate. If the kids are having fun, so are you. Really love that element of holidays now.
Old 08 January 2013, 12:22 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I doubt my son (ask Alcazar) would be any good on a plane at all at his age so we were quite restricted. He wants to be everywhere, poking every nut and bolt, looking under seats etc. and is firmly in the 'terrible twos' now. At least in the car down the the Holiday Park I know he'll nod off from the cars engine and have facilities to tire us/entertain him
Same here Andy.

Charlie never sits still for more than 5 seconds. (unless Jake and the Neverland Pirates in on!)
He is at that age now that if he doesn't get his own way, it very quickly turns into world war 3. I know it's only a phase and we try to ignore him when he is like that. This would be very difficult on a plane!

In fact, if anyone has any advise on how to deal with a 19month old that has started to hit and throw things at his parents, I am all all ears!
Old 08 January 2013, 12:25 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Avoid and ignore. If they get a rise, they do it more. If its dangerous, just move him away then ignore.

Getting angry never works!
Old 08 January 2013, 01:02 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

My kids have been around the world before the ages of 6 & 9.
My son was only 4 when he went to Tokyo, Hawaii, USA, Cyprus and remembers bits of some and all of others.

We also had no traumas, tantrums etc on any long haul flight and to be honest, the kids coped with the distances better than we did!
They were so good on the flight to Tokyo the captain let them onto the flight deck when we'd landed and spent 20 mins showing them everything.

This year we're going on a small tour of the west coast of the USA - Oregon, Yosemite, LA and Santa Barbara and the kids can't wait.

Kids on planes never bothered me even when I didn't have any - it's not like its forever, just a few hours out of your life.

To the OP - I've always found Menorca a great place for families and only 2 hrs away.
Old 08 January 2013, 01:08 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Avoid and ignore. If they get a rise, they do it more. If its dangerous, just move him away then ignore.

Getting angry never works!
Raised voice here works. Isaac is a big lad still at 22 months so when he's in 'tw@t mode' we do the above regards danger to him or damage to possessions and I give him "the look" and raise my voice a bit.

I think we'll wait until he is 3 or 4 before looking at holidays abroad. Spain or one of the islands is a likely destination, Centerparcs has me interested too in the uk now it's been mentioned!
Old 08 January 2013, 08:29 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

problem with center parcs is that its a cost an absolute fortune at that place !