Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Years Honours - sports people

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2012, 11:18 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Years Honours - sports people

What are your thoughts on honours being given to sports people?

I am 50/50 about it as on the one hand they give up a lot to reach the peak of their sport and provide a lot of entertainment for people as well as being ambassadors for their nation, but on the other many of them are paid an awful lot of money to do that so it looks like they are being honoured twice if you like!

Anyway just hope that Wiggins insists the entry list on the Tour de France has his full title so as to p1ss off the Frecnh
Old 29 December 2012, 11:34 AM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

It doesn't bother me that they get it. So many people in the public eye whether they're celebrities, politicians or sports people have a title that I don't even register it.
Old 29 December 2012, 01:33 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Butkus
It doesn't bother me that they get it. So many people in the public eye whether they're celebrities, politicians or sports people have a title that I don't even register it.

I agree. It has no meaning now, pure worthless titles.
Old 29 December 2012, 01:42 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I wish more normal people were recognised for their help n talents
Old 29 December 2012, 02:06 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

It's a bit meaningless to most people, but I am sure that those that do get the titles are happy.
Old 29 December 2012, 02:10 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

MBE's CBE's OBE's, Knighting people etc etc for all manner of stuff has made me smile every year.Both for the significance of it all and who actually gets these things at the Queen's end of term prize giving
Old 29 December 2012, 02:51 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

the titles mean nothing to me,
recognizing some sporting achievements is nice - but maybe it should be a bit later in there career where theyve proven to benefit others through there achievements, through promoting excersise by making occassional visits to clubs ect, and inspire kids/get them excited about the visit and subsequently the sport they represent

. or better still get involved in coaching kids - even for the mega rich setting up acadamys ect to employ others and benefit or make there sport more accessible to youngsters from all walks of life.

just a bit of payback into a society thats given them there support through there careers ect..

i do realise not many would be able to afford setting up some schemes, but involvement would be a nice gesture.

im actually sure as many of these people are at the top of there game due to there extreme interest/dedication anyway, so after retirement many just naturally fall into one of these groups anyway. to help complete the circle of events that no doubt helped them along the way to success.

then a form of official or royal recognition would be more meaningful in my eyes - and likely enjoyed immensely by the reciever
Old 29 December 2012, 09:12 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

The whole honours system (and society in general ) was devalued by Blair dishing out honours to gain Brownies points with the voting public, and this continues today.

I like cricket but certainly don't agree with the whole team getting honoured on the basis that they managed to win for the first time since most of them were in nappies. That's just rewarding them for doing their job, big deal, they get paid well enough for doing it anyway.

Sir Bradley Wiggins. Oh, come on!

Whereas Sebastian Coe is more deserving of his title in view of his sporting achievements AND lifetime commitment to sport.
Old 29 December 2012, 09:39 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
The whole honours system (and society in general ) was devalued by Blair dishing out honours to gain Brownies points with the voting public, and this continues today.

I like cricket but certainly don't agree with the whole team getting honoured on the basis that they managed to win for the first time since most of them were in nappies. That's just rewarding them for doing their job, big deal, they get paid well enough for doing it anyway.

Sir Bradley Wiggins. Oh, come on!

Whereas Sebastian Coe is more deserving of his title in view of his sporting achievements AND lifetime commitment to sport.
he'd be the one id see burned at the stake before an honours lol (not literally) before i get a online kicking!!! haha
Old 29 December 2012, 11:10 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest,i think its a good thing that sporting people are being recognised and put up over all this talentless x factor etc crap,if young people are watching it,then i think its a good thing.
but looking outward of the sporting subject,the code breakers only just got an award..i think it is a disgrace it had taken so long....
Old 29 December 2012, 11:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
but looking outward of the sporting subject,the code breakers only just got an award..i think it is a disgrace it had taken so long....
Exactly! It seems sports people get recognised the day after they achieve something and yet other worthy people wait decades!

I'm with jef on Seb Coe too btw
Old 30 December 2012, 03:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I can't be bothered to get worked up about it although I agree that in many ways it seems to devalue those titles.

At least the sporting heroes have actually achieved somrthing of note in the world.

Les
Old 30 December 2012, 04:01 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Anything that puts the X Factor/celebrity culture in the shade is fine by me!!