Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Old dog, new tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2012, 11:52 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old dog, new tricks?

We lost our much loved Spaniel some weeks back and are thinking about getting another.

Now if we got a rescue Spaniel, a few years old, how does training one compare with training a puppy? This assumes that the Rescue dog may not have received much training when young.

Now we wouldn't be aiming for Crufts type obedience, just the basics.

My only experience here is when my dear old mum got a rescue Spaniel which was uncontrollable and certainly too much for mum. He even jumped out of a first floor window Would have been a challenge for that TV bloke with the shiny teeth I reckon

So old dog, new tricks?

Comments please.

David
Old 21 December 2012, 01:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Girlfriends careing for all old dear presently, she's a handful, but then there's the mut

**** tzu, and the bloody thing is living up to its name, cacking in the living room after its been taken for 1/4 mile walk. She's exasperated, told her we had once had dog that did this and my mother physically held its nose in the mess a few times - I'm trying to remember whether it had the desired effect...

Our dog was a stray btw

Last edited by dpb; 21 December 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 21 December 2012, 01:33 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
**** tzu, and the bloody thing is living up to its name, cacking in the living room after its been taken for 1/4 mile walk. She's exasperated, told her we had once had dog that did this and my mother physically held its nose in the mess a few times - I'm trying to remember whether it had the desired effect
I had that problem with a Westie. Even when he was in a crate he'd shi7 in his food and water. The final straw came when he was sat between my feet, while I was at my desk using my laptop and he squeezed a fat one out on the carpet It stank rotten .... I got so fed up and rubbed his nose in it. It stopped that day.
I'd listened to all the expert advice for 7 months with zero results.

It can be very rewarding having a dog - or any pet. If you have the time and patience to do it then crack on
Old 21 December 2012, 05:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Go for an American Cocker, great fun and can be very nicley trained

And they look unique too

Mart
Old 21 December 2012, 05:32 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Our dog was nicely trained after a while, nervous wreck to start with of course,by the time kidneys gave in we were besotted.
Old 21 December 2012, 06:02 PM
adamb87
Scooby Regular

ye i think you will be ok. they say the first few months of a dogs life is when they take the most things in. but we had a rescue labrador and she took to us and our lifestyle and taught her a trick or two as well. :-) spaniels are clever little buggers as well. v intelligent dogs !!
Old 21 December 2012, 07:33 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks fellas

David
Old 21 December 2012, 07:54 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I guess if you take on a rescue dog, you take it warts and all. You might be able to train it to a certain extent but if you really want a dog the way you want it, you're better off starting from scratch. Just don't buy of a heartless breeder!
Old 21 December 2012, 10:05 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
We lost our much loved Spaniel some weeks back and are thinking about getting another.

Now if we got a rescue Spaniel, a few years old, how does training one compare with training a puppy? This assumes that the Rescue dog may not have received much training when young.

Now we wouldn't be aiming for Crufts type obedience, just the basics.

My only experience here is when my dear old mum got a rescue Spaniel which was uncontrollable and certainly too much for mum. He even jumped out of a first floor window Would have been a challenge for that TV bloke with the shiny teeth I reckon

So old dog, new tricks?

Comments please.

David
If you have the time anything is possible, David. I know guys that would have a 7 year old squirrel driving you to the pub in 2 months of time intensive work.

My wife is older now than when we first met and she does everything I command of late. She sometimes likes being on a lead and licks my bálls daily.

It can be done, I turned a 6 year old dog around to enable him to be a calm, superb house pet. He spent the first 6 years of his life travelling the country/world inches from the floor in an enclosed dog trailer (no windows), competing and had drive like no other dog I've come across. He retired from competition and I couldn't see him go anywhere else but my place, while the owner moved onto another youngster to compete with.

All house rules had to be established as he only knew a small kennel and slowing him down was the first challenge before he took out everything in his path. He absolutely loved going in a vehicle ironically, but then loved to work and associated the 2. Teaching him to not rush past you everytime you went to get in was difficult as sometimes he couldn't come out and needed to know that. Locking him in a kennel beforehand would have been easy for the previous owner, or me, had I wanted to use our kennels, but I chose to let him have the full use of the grounds so elected to make it more difficult for myself in a way.

His eating even slowed down after some time because he ate like he had 3 minutes to finish it when he first arrived. His appetite never changed though, as the rabbit population would testify, he really did just learn to chill.

We had 6 more superb years with the best dog I've ever had the pleasure to meet and moreover I felt great I'd given him a retirement he well deserved.

Time spent with any dog is the key to them fitting in. Most pet owners expect dogs to learn without spending any real quality time with or around them and then complain the dog's unruly!
Old 21 December 2012, 11:45 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

As a rule check for any known issues.

Other than that, unless its got any history you are good to go.

Take your time, and build a bond. Do not rush into it - let the dog come to you for the first few weeks, then slowly you can start to trust it more. I would advise atleast 6 months of slow building of trust to get the best out of a rescue dog.

Be the pack leader but in a very soft way, i.e make sure you eat first, you go through doors first, you greet the family members in order etc. Its all basics, and after a few months you can start to relax and not worry. My GSD always eats before me, she can go through doors before me - but she understands her position and role in the pack now she is a bit older (we have several dogs so its an actual pack).

Most dogs look to humans for direction if there are no other dogs around but some dogs which have been (or are being!) treated badly will stay away as they quickly learn to avoid humans. This can be the problem with rescue dogs. So make sure you spend some time with the dog at the shelter, see if the dog is shy or avoids you all together. Look at the body language and try and go for the dog that seems neither hyper or shy.. something in the middle...

Have a good look over the dog, check its eyes, teeth and ears. No nasty smells or funny colours. Put the dog on the lead and take it for a short walk around the shelter... see if its pulling like a train or calm or scared and wont budge... guess which you want..

HTH!
Old 22 December 2012, 07:55 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Don't forget not all dogs at the pound have been abused. Some are from owners who can't afford them, got bored or have even died.

When you go to the pound ask them if they train the basics to the dogs. When you see a dog you like, talk to it. Tel it to sit, turn around and lick *****... If it listens your half way there
Old 22 December 2012, 10:50 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thank you again guys, all very helpful. We are not new to dogs as we have had Spaniels for over 30 years but never thought about a rescue one - hence my post.

And thank you Spoon for your interesting commentary. Please do NOT post any pics of your wife's training regime as this would be a bit much for a weekend. But doubtless she gets lots of treats

David
Old 22 December 2012, 12:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Plenty of love an affection to start with,and use the "carrot and stick approach as I decribed in the Labrador thread above.

Les