Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

xmas present for my son (me)

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2012, 06:26 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xmas present for my son (me)

got a model shop rocket, which is reusable, and a supply of motors.

rough 600ft peak height, just cant wait to get it in a suitable area and used

anyone elses bought presents for there family that are really for themselves lol?
Old 20 December 2012, 06:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I reckon it's actually impossible in some small part not to 'buy something for ones self' no matter who it's designed for
Old 20 December 2012, 09:01 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I used to fly Este model rockets and it used to be amazing. Even had a parachutte from Nasa for one of my rockets made out of some fancy foil after writting to them to explain how one exploded in mid flight.

Always wanted to take it back up but the feilds I used to fly them in all now have house on.

Was so funny walking into a cop shop with 50 D sizes engines and said I would like these distroyed.. lol

Jef if you plan to do it very frequently it's worth buying the battery pack as the ignitors chew batteries up.
Old 20 December 2012, 09:10 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

An RC car for my one year old (at the time) son...

4wd, brushless motor, 11.1v lipo battery, properly quick, I constantly break it....
Old 20 December 2012, 09:25 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I used to fly Este model rockets and it used to be amazing. Even had a parachutte from Nasa for one of my rockets made out of some fancy foil after writting to them to explain how one exploded in mid flight.

Always wanted to take it back up but the feilds I used to fly them in all now have house on.

Was so funny walking into a cop shop with 50 D sizes engines and said I would like these distroyed.. lol

Jef if you plan to do it very frequently it's worth buying the battery pack as the ignitors chew batteries up.
it wont be that regular, but got the nomex wadding, and some uprated bits, hope to get 3-6 launches out it over the good weather. this ones got a speed monitor and altitude checker - cant wait. my poor boy wont get near it lol

the motors turn up in a box with a U.N number on it, ppe guide and transport index lol. wow!
Old 20 December 2012, 10:02 PM
sunnyjones003
Scooby Regular

lol yeah i have bought my son a RC petrol 1/5th scale so its big and extreamly quick, just to buy wheel and tyres will be £200 (if he knocks it) lol

but yes its actually for me
Old 20 December 2012, 11:26 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
it wont be that regular, but got the nomex wadding, and some uprated bits, hope to get 3-6 launches out it over the good weather. this ones got a speed monitor and altitude checker - cant wait. my poor boy wont get near it lol

the motors turn up in a box with a U.N number on it, ppe guide and transport index lol. wow!
Ah wadding the stuff that doesn't burn.... I used to put small bags of flower in mine. When the engine ejects it blows the bag and leaves a white cloud....

Back before google earth you could buy a rocket that took pictures as it went up... Very expensive to develope. Miss doing it now.

Remember watching a documentary about rocketeers in America.. I am well jell with the size of the ones they had.

There's one rocket that you can fire an egg and the challenge is to have the rocket land with the egg unbroken.. Hamsters fit too but I never tried
Old 20 December 2012, 11:40 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Old 21 December 2012, 06:18 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These look like fun. What actually powers the rocket??
Old 21 December 2012, 07:10 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Basically a firework without the boom.
Old 21 December 2012, 07:34 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Sure with the price and size of cameras these days u could put one in it ? Picture may not be perfect , but it would be cool. I remember my bro tried to attatch his mobile to a petrol RC heli , it messesed up the ballance (unsurprisingly) and the heli tipped and shattered into lots off little peices
Old 21 December 2012, 09:03 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

My missus isnt too keen on the music cds I buy her for xmas but luckily I always like them
Old 21 December 2012, 02:46 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I bought a selection of 'small and inappropriate' presents for the wife (me).
Old 21 December 2012, 03:12 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
great vid, what did you use to film it?

as a complete newbie, im told upsetting the aerodynamics or weight distribution could really hamper the flight - yours looked spot on!!

cant wait for xmas day now lol, wonder what else santa will bring for me/my boy lol.

boys only 4 just now so an rc car is too much for him, it would be broken withing half a day, but a couple of years and me and him will get building one - putting it together is half the fun and even at 4 he has meticulous attention to detail!! if things arent 100% perfect - eg stickers, zombie heads, face paints, he displays large amounts of dissatisfaction - currently in the form of crying/shouting/blaming someone else lol.
Old 21 December 2012, 08:25 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Buying my brother a tablet but I know I'll end up playing with it more than him

Careful with those rockets lol, this guy couldn't even handle a water powered one properly
Old 22 December 2012, 08:27 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
great vid, what did you use to film it?

as a complete newbie, im told upsetting the aerodynamics or weight distribution could really hamper the flight - yours looked spot on!!

cant wait for xmas day now lol, wonder what else santa will bring for me/my boy lol.

boys only 4 just now so an rc car is too much for him, it would be broken withing half a day, but a couple of years and me and him will get building one - putting it together is half the fun and even at 4 he has meticulous attention to detail!! if things arent 100% perfect - eg stickers, zombie heads, face paints, he displays large amounts of dissatisfaction - currently in the form of crying/shouting/blaming someone else lol.
Sorry jeff I can't take te credit for that vid.. It's off YouTube but I wanted to show you what happens.

Some of the rockets are designed to take a payload and fly perfect. Others that I put flower in I didn't think about the science I just filled run press button.

Thinking though, I only put maybe 3 table spoons in on top of the wadding. Lightly pressed down. Therefore the weight / balance is all in the middle.
NOTE: I got this wrong once, packed it down too much and although the engines pop it tore the rocket apart.

Again on the balance subject, the cameras that are built into them are designed to keep the balance etc. can see it now, the smallest rocket in the world (2inches IIRC) with a go pro strapped to it
Old 03 January 2013, 09:53 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

jef how did you get on?
Old 03 January 2013, 10:32 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I can see it being fun a couple of times, then looking for it when it comes down starts to get boring ;-)