Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Government building more Asylum Sites

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2002, 01:23 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just been announced that they will be building an Asylum centre for 750 people just outside the town where I live. Now have to make do with a house I will not be able to sell, increased council tax and increased insurance for both car and home. I am not a happy chap as I've worked hard to achieve what I have and it looks like some **** within the Labour Government has destroyed it. They just do not realise the effect it will have on the local economy and people's lives.

I completely understand these people need somewhere to live but putting them next to a rural community with limited facilities is just not the answer. Is it justifiable to destroy a community in this way? A solution to the problem must surely be one that is of benefit for both communities.

Si

[Edited by SiCotty - 5/14/2002 1:24:17 PM]
Old 14 May 2002, 01:30 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thats not very charitable.

Most of these people are in real need of a somewhere to stay, and if ever GB got into trouble I really hope that I would be a little more welcome than what you are making them.

I live in a town with asylum seekers, and have noticed no difference in crime, council tax goes up anyway, my house continues to increase in value.

Old 14 May 2002, 01:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

not in my back yard please

Tiggs
Old 14 May 2002, 01:46 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

NIMBY's

Old 14 May 2002, 01:50 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Davyboy,

I know of a few places with centres for Asylum seekers which are small and integrate into the community well. The main problem is that this is for 750 people. I am not opposed to small groups but this is just stupid. Ask yourself this question if you was buying a house and the search came back with plan for an Asylum centre to house 750 people would you consider looking elsewhere. The local amenities can barley support the current population.

Si
Old 14 May 2002, 01:52 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Angry

I totally agree !!

A drain on our resources ! No-one else takes them in, why should we ? We are clearly seen as a soft touch !

Typical of Labour - big sweeping changes without asking anyone's opinion first !!

They have launched boats that act as floating jails... why not launch an Asylum Seaker boat ??
Old 14 May 2002, 01:54 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

I where understand where you (both of you) are comming from. In one hand you have the chap who can see what is effectively a council estate being built around the corner, and the other looks at where these poor people are comming from, albeit war torn states, or diaster vicitims whatever the problem/s may be and thinks well it's not so bad and at least the children get a chance.

Although i dont where i would stand, i was brought up on a council estate, and although i was happy their was alot of trouble, and as the estate grew so did the problems, so if i lived in a rural area and had the prospect of 750 barely english speaking new neighbours moving in then i would expect the value of my house to fall, more so if it were in the snoby S/E of the country let alone any other problems that would get on my goat.... but, still on the fence here is the i'm alright jack attitiude ever done anyone any favours in the long run.... In short they have to go somewhere Tony Blair has offered them a compratively easy ride and here they are expecting gracfully (we hope !!).

If it bothers you too much then indeed try to move somewhere else, i live within 25 miles of london and 2-3 bed semi's are around £130-150k, which compared to London's costs still means they have lot's of value left to accumilate the same property costs £300k 18 miles further up the road closer to london where i work, bargins are still there and as far as i'm aware no plans to build any Refugee camps !!!

Hope this all sorts it's self out for you,

Phill
Old 14 May 2002, 01:58 PM
Magic Boot
Scooby Regular

Angry

Soft touch Britain again & again & again.

We are just too small an island to be allowing more people legally or illegally to enter. When will people realise!!

Look at some of the most underpopulated countries on earth, Australia being one and look at their imigration, assylum regulations.

It's not even a race issue, just a simple case of over populating which breeds all sorts of crime, disease and a multitude of other problems.

WAKE UP BLAIR YOU T055ER.

Ahhhhhhh that feels better now. Pet hate subject ........ you may have guessed.
Old 14 May 2002, 02:00 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Question

OK. So those that disagree.

What are the solutions? (apart from as long as they are not near me)
Old 14 May 2002, 02:07 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

tough- that is my soloution, not near me.

we are a tiny country thats full up- there is no room.

Tiggs
Old 14 May 2002, 02:11 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Phil,

I live on a new estate which has a portion of houses (I think about 1/5) set asside for community housing. These houses look identical to the other houses on the estate so mix in very well. The people with the houses are given an oppotunity to get a step on the property ladder by owning a portion of the house. This works very well indeed and has caused no problems at all. A community works if people have a sense of pride in where they live. We also have a small old style council estate which as far as I am aware causes no problems either.

The point of this is that these are small projects. If you just dump large numbers of less fortunate people into a already deprived area then of course you will get trouble.

Such a centre is also a great big sign showing people who want to make touble exactly where to go.

Si
Old 14 May 2002, 02:13 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Angry

No doubt the asylum seekers will thank us for looking after them by burning their new centres down, like Yarls Wood [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 14 May 2002, 02:18 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Interesting thing is that one of the sites is Throckmorton in Worcestershire. I remember that was one of the places that they dug big trenches and made massive pyres of burning cattle during the Foot and Mouth crisis.

The same area possibly ???? That cant be too healthy.

Dave

Old 14 May 2002, 02:26 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Possible solutions, when they arrive in the country assign them to small locations throughout the UK. These locations are built to support people who may not be able to speak the language. The centre has all the necessary facilities including other people from their country or religion so they don't feel alone. Careful consideration must be given not to mix people together with conflicting religion or backgrounds. If their application is successful they are then placed within the local community within the type of housing outlined in my previous post. When the centre has processed x number of people it is given back to the community to act as a community centre etc to help and develop the stable population.

If they are detained by the police for criminal behaviour on a number of occasions they should forgo their rights to asylum in this country. When in Rome do as the Romans, have respect for other cultures and their ways and laws. In turn people will then respect yours.

Si
Old 14 May 2002, 02:27 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Also, my views on the subject are.......

My fiance's parents have lived in Dover for a long time. As you can probably understand, they have a very serious problem there with immigrants coming from the ports.

I would agree that there are some asylum seekers that are totally genuine and will have left everything behind and fleed their homes for whatever reason. The stories you hear from these people brings a lump to my throat. But, these people are sadly the minority. The majority of people I have seen in the Dover area are hanging around the streets, hurling intimidating abuse (especially at young women, my fiance has in the past been victim to this) and generally making a nuiscance of themselves.

It is a difficult one to call, I understand that they need to go somewhere but as has been mentioned this is a small country that is full to the brim at the moment. Germany has become very tough on immigrants and deals wth them quickly as they took so many in when the Yugoslav war started, that they are at saturation point. Why cant our government learn things from them.

Camps are not the answer, it will just lead to racial hatred from people around them and if another centre gets burnt to the ground then that will make things worse.

I know i havent given any suggestions but it would take far longer than i have at the moment to think of some serious ones.

Dave
Old 14 May 2002, 02:31 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Davyboy,
The problem is there are no real solutions, no-body else Oz for instance gives a ****, and people who run the 3rd world country's are corupt and dont give a damnn.

If you want to tackle the problem you have to tackle the source, which i belive very little people have the power to do so, and those that do well... their alright.

I dont think there is an answer that suit's everyone it's just we are (UK Labour)one of the most well off country's on the planet, the US has a similar imigrant problem , as does any developed country in the world.

What we need is strict controls that are enforced and currently that aint happening, hence the negativity from some. I dont think it's a new problem it's been going on in the UK for at least 20yrs now......but how do you contorl it ??

Phill
Old 14 May 2002, 02:33 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Excuse the bad spelling but i'm in a rush (post above) !!
Old 14 May 2002, 02:49 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

The part that sticks in my throat about this, is hearing on the radio that they have on site medical care etc yet here i am with a 7 month old baby boy now lying in a hospital bed who's been ill for four months as we haven't the doctors/beds/nurses/consultants to treat him.

THAT F*CKS ME RIGHT OFF that these people have what appears (to me) to be on tap health care!
Old 14 May 2002, 02:55 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

PTholt,
Harsh, very harsh......

Have you consdiered going private, i know it's no solution for everyone but with a kiddie's health invlolved the £20-30 quid a month seems very little.

I hope your little one is better soon,

Phill
Old 14 May 2002, 03:10 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately £20-£30 it wasnt or i'd have done it.
Consultant involved wanted more like £150 just to talk to us plus extra for tests etc which we simply didnt have.

Which seeing as so far he's had an ecg, an xray, 8 blood tests, a barium meal xray and a cistic fibrosis test coming up this week i dread to think what the bill would have been.

The real annoying part being, is if i had paid to go private i would have seen exactly the same consultant, just jumped further down the queue. How can you have a health service where the same people doing private work are also the same you see on nhs.............

Old 14 May 2002, 03:15 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

PT holt,
I know of plan whereby you pay the upfront costs of the proceedure and then they will pay you back, this costs about £30 pcm. I'm afriad i dont know much more about it but my client was raving about it earlier on.....do you want me to get some more info ?

Phill
Old 14 May 2002, 03:23 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Sounds kinda like that HSA thing, but i would be interested to hear about it.

cheers.
Old 14 May 2002, 03:48 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Q: What do council estates and asylum centres have in common?
A: Nothing

So why draw the comparison?
Old 14 May 2002, 04:00 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Jlanng,
Q - what do they have in common

A - A large area of housing and accomodation aimed at the under privialged or low income familes, complete with it's own serving GP's and NHS facilities and dont be fooled these are nothing but council estates with fences around them....and once they are legally into the country where do you think the majority end up ?

So yeah i'm sorry to disagree but they have quite alot in common only these guy's could perhaps be better off !

Phill
Old 14 May 2002, 04:24 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

OK, so they are both not so well off, and require some infrastructure. Asylum seekers are far far more likely to commit crime than low-income British nationals. I don't think its fair to low-income Brits to draw this comparison
Old 14 May 2002, 04:37 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Nothing meant against anyone, but is it fair to say if your a foreigner you are more likely to steal ?

I mean their is no direct evidence to support any claims that we are importing a whole lot of trouble, if anything they are less likely to steal as they have everything they could ever dream of given to them !!

I feel the biggest problem is the control of how many and where the imagrants are placed, surely with the NHS the way it is charity should begin at home, but where then do you send the needy, it's a nasty big pot of worms that their is no simple answer to.

Perhaps the immagrants should earn their right to the NHS by working ex hours of community service, it sounds more like jail but surely thats prefrable where they came from !!!

This could go on for a while longer but it's a problem here to stay for now at least !!

Phill
Old 14 May 2002, 04:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

why are brits less likely to commit crime?
Old 14 May 2002, 04:57 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Asylum seekers are far far more likely to commit crime than low-income British nationals
Oh, FFS, please this is getting stupid!

Old 14 May 2002, 05:05 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Angry

Last week scoobynet had to really clamp down on the use of and insinuations behind a word starting with P.

I'd hate to lock this thread, but it will happen if people don't stop using sweeping generalisations that cannot be backed up by any facts and only suposition.

If you are going to make statements such as those made in this thread, state where you got your information from and what you base these allegations on. Maybe, just maybe then people will see your point of view rather than labelling you as being racist etc etc.

Not meant to point the finger at anyone, more a generic "OI watch what you are posting".
Old 14 May 2002, 05:09 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

'the use of and insinuations behind a word starting with P'

well im lost....... i must have missed something.

Quick Reply: Government building more Asylum Sites