Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Foxes in our garden.

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2012, 06:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Foxes in our garden.

We have security lights on our house, front and rear. We look out over a wide green with a few small trees, and the vehicle entrance is off the back-road.

Recently, our front security lights have been coming on, briefly, at midnight or thereabouts.
Youngest, who is out of work, so doesn't have to be up, told me he'd checked and seen foxes in the garden. A small one, a larger one and once, both together.

Last night, I went to bed about 11:45pm, and as I got into bed, the security light came on.

I checked and the smaller (so my lad says) fox was in the front garden. It looked around, then nipped over the neighbour's fence and away.

Should I encourage them? What will they eat? Do they do damage? If so, what? There are no chickens nearby, a town by-law forbids it.

Our house is on the North Western edge of Scunthorpe, quite built up, although with some woodland and parkland, plus public gardens nearby, (YES, Scunthorpe does have all those!), and close to quite a major road junction.
Old 14 December 2012, 07:06 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
We have security lights on our house, front and rear. We look out over a wide green with a few small trees, and the vehicle entrance is off the back-road.

Recently, our front security lights have been coming on, briefly, at midnight or thereabouts.
Youngest, who is out of work, so doesn't have to be up, told me he'd checked and seen foxes in the garden. A small one, a larger one and once, both together.

Last night, I went to bed about 11:45pm, and as I got into bed, the security light came on.

I checked and the smaller (so my lad says) fox was in the front garden. It looked around, then nipped over the neighbour's fence and away.

Should I encourage them? What will they eat? Do they do damage? If so, what? There are no chickens nearby, a town by-law forbids it.

Our house is on the North Western edge of Scunthorpe, quite built up, although with some woodland and parkland, plus public gardens nearby, (YES, Scunthorpe does have all those!), and close to quite a major road junction.
Fear not - I'm sure the Poles will eat them
Old 14 December 2012, 07:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We had family foxes in garden my grandparents house, broad daylight, never fed em either
Didn't seem to be causing any harm

We've also passed , literally feet away, a fox on a wall just sitting there, this was on way back from pub and other trips
Apparently this behaviour can explained by fox having some sort degenerative disease facilitating no fear
Old 14 December 2012, 07:27 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I called the RSPCA today and said, "I've just found a suitcase in the woods containing a fox and four cubs."

"That's terrible," she replied. "Are they moving?"

"I'm not sure, to be honest," I said, "But that would explain the suitcase."
Old 14 December 2012, 07:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Whilst reviewing CCTV footage to analyse the behaviour of our neighbourhood burglar, I've become quite attached to our foxes. I hope they can get the cat population under control.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:07 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

Foxes aint a problem, got one looking thro our patio window bout 10 mins ago, bit noisy this time of year calling out to mate, The ones we have here are well fed, all the kids at our local tech drop their left over food all over the place so, the foxes around here are well nurished and healthy.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:52 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shoot foxes. ******* pest they are because when they get in with the chickens, instead of killing 1 or 2 to eat, it will aimlessly kill about 50 and leave their bodies all over the place.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:57 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I called the RSPCA today and said, "I've just found a suitcase in the woods containing a fox and four cubs."

Old 14 December 2012, 09:59 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The foxes in our garden stink, and they crap everywhere. They also tore the kids old trampoline to shreds, and wait until mating/breeding time, the noise is horrendous - we've contacted the council and they're not interested. They are vermin and should be shot, run over and generally discouraged
Old 14 December 2012, 10:02 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's terrible
Old 15 December 2012, 09:21 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 15 December 2012, 12:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Fear not - I'm sure the Poles will eat them
Not as funny as you think: they HAVE been caught catching and eating local swans, and carp in an ornamental lake....