Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

doctors........****ing waste of time

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2012, 09:25 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default doctors........****ing waste of time

right its very rarely i go the doctors as i reckon they are full of **** but as of late i have a few health problems 1 of which i am generally concerned about so i book an appointment at the docs.

1st things 1st i get the niggly little things out of the way before mentioning the 2 main ones (1 of which is an ingrown toenail) which im not really concerned about just wanted to get the ball rolling in getting it removed-all went well apart from her computer playing up then i said to her "right last but not least is my main problem" to which she replied "sorry we are out of time now i cant do anything to help you"

i was ****ing gob-smacked-i honestly couldnt believe what i was hearing so a few choice words from me and i left

surely they cant say that to you? i realise there is other people that need seeing but having a time limit is wrong in my opinion

does anybody know the law/rules regarding this? if her ****ing computer wasnt playing up i would have had time

Old 14 December 2012, 09:30 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all about targets, Not people.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:31 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosticles
its a ****ing joke thats what it is, again this is another way our country is failing
Old 14 December 2012, 09:35 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Being fair if it was that important why didnt you start with your biggest concern ?
I have never heard of anything like this before.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:36 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Never heard of a time limit. You could make a complaint but doubt you'll get anywhere.

I went to the Doctors at the start of July for a regular check up and booked the first appointment in the morning at 9:00am - but still did not get in to see the doctor until 9:18? So I'm the first person in and they are already running 18mins late? Then had to see a stand in as my regular dcotor was 'On Holiday for July'! It's a hard life for some.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:36 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

I went a couple of months ago with two problems. Was told I would have to make another appointment for the other.....
Old 14 December 2012, 09:37 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Being fair if it was that important why didnt you start with your biggest concern ?
I have never heard of anything like this before.
i wanted to get the small things out the way before i forgot them-nothing worse than getting home then thinking "bollocks there was something else"
Old 14 December 2012, 09:38 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

I went a couple of months ago with two problems. Was told I would have to make another appointment for the other.....
looks like me and you will have to diagnose our selves via google
Old 14 December 2012, 09:39 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
looks like me and you will have to diagnose our selves via google
Done that, don't like the answer
Old 14 December 2012, 10:50 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right its very rarely i go the doctors as i reckon they are full of **** but as of late i have a few health problems 1 of which i am generally concerned about so i book an appointment at the docs.

1st things 1st i get the niggly little things out of the way before mentioning the 2 main ones (1 of which is an ingrown toenail) which im not really concerned about just wanted to get the ball rolling in getting it removed-all went well apart from her computer playing up then i said to her "right last but not least is my main problem" to which she replied "sorry we are out of time now i cant do anything to help you"

i was ****ing gob-smacked-i honestly couldnt believe what i was hearing so a few choice words from me and i left

surely they cant say that to you? i realise there is other people that need seeing but having a time limit is wrong in my opinion

does anybody know the law/rules regarding this? if her ****ing computer wasnt playing up i would have had time

Ok, I'll be really careful what I say given what happened a few weeks ago....

But you are a bit of a plank aren't you? You sat there waffling on about stuff that wasn't that important to you and left the main issue to last?

If you went to see a barrister about the attempted murder charge against you would you spend the first hour talking about a parking ticket you felt was unfair?

If you called a plumber around would you stand there nattering about a new toilet roll holder whilst your house was flooding?

So why different at the doctors? Do you really not grasp that doctors just like anybody else have a finite amount of time? How about the next person who is waiting? You'd be the first person to be 'using choice words' again if you were kept waiting for hours.

Just like with any other system the NHS takes a very small degree of intelligence to extract the best from it. I'm afraid to say you've failed that rudimentary intelligence test, I wouldn't go around advertising the fact if I were you.

HTH

Last edited by Dingdongler; 14 December 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 14 December 2012, 11:01 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

But you are a bit of a plank aren't you? You sat there waffling on about stuff that wasn't that important to you and left the main issue to last?

If you went to see a barrister about the attempted murder charge against you would you spend the first hour talking about a parking ticket you felt was unfair?

If you called a plumber around would you stand there nattering about a new toilet roll holder whilst your house was flooding?

So why different at the doctors? Do you really not grasp that doctors just like anybody else have a finite amount of time? How about the next person who is waiting? You'd be the first person to be 'using choice words' again if you were kept waiting for hours.

Just like with any other system the NHS takes a very small degree of intelligence to extract the best from it. I'm afraid to say you've failed that rudimentary intelligence test, I wouldn't shout about.
so im a bit of a plank for expecting the doctor to listen to my problems? i mean i have only been paying my N.I for 17 years so i guess i am in the wrong.

i had a few issues to talk about thats why i went with the least important 1st as i knew i would not be forgetting the most serious one-as said i didnt realise there was a set time limit,there was no sign in the docs stating that i only had x amount of time so why would i think that?

thanks for your most interesting and helpful reply
Old 14 December 2012, 11:09 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

so im a bit of a plank for expecting the doctor to listen to my problems? i mean i have only been paying my N.I for 17 years so i guess i am in the wrong.

i had a few issues to talk about thats why i went with the least important 1st as i knew i would not be forgetting the most serious one-as said i didnt realise there was a set time limit,there was no sign in the docs stating that i only had x amount of time so why would i think that?

thanks for your most interesting and helpful reply

Ok, so you thought that if you wanted to you could sit there for hours?? What did you think would happen to the other people who were waiting? Or did you think the doc puts one day aside for each patient?
Old 14 December 2012, 11:19 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Ok, so you thought that if you wanted to you could sit there for hours?? What did you think would happen to the other people who were waiting? Or did you think the doc puts one day aside for each patient?
hmmmm hours.....no but another 5 mins would have been nice

why would I think the doc puts a day aside per patient?
Old 14 December 2012, 11:32 AM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

I've never been aware of a time limit at the doctors, although it is pretty obvious that they must plan for a certain amount of time when taking bookings. I assume also that this often overruns as I have never been seen on time.
But I also get Dings point about dealing with the important stuff first, makes sense really.

Ps you can tell Ding is a health professional by his excellent bedside manner!
Old 14 December 2012, 11:40 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

hmmmm hours.....no but another 5 mins would have been nice

why would I think the doc puts a day aside per patient?

Because you said you never knew there was a time limit of any kind. So you admit common sense tells you that there is a time limit?

Saying all that I find it difficult to comprehend that the GP would not give you some more time if there was something else important to discuss.

We all know that patients sometimes take time to come to their real area of concern especially if it is something they find embarrassing ie impotence, a mental health issue, sexually transmitted disease etc .

It takes them time to build up the courage to discuss these matters and a sympathetic doctor should know this and be able to cope.

In all fairness if you were treated EXACTLY how you describe then you haven't had a fair deal. However, as often happens, I wonder if there is more to the story, or another side to the story.

And I would suggest that rather than 'a few choice words' you should have impressed on the doctor how concerned you are about the issue. I don't know of any doctors who would ignore a patient who made this clear, I certainly wouldn't no matter what the time constraints. Any doctor who does needs dealing with.

But the devil is in the detail.
Old 14 December 2012, 11:41 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Just like with any other system the NHS takes a very small degree of intelligence to extract the best from it. I'm afraid to say you've failed that rudimentary intelligence test, I wouldn't go around advertising the fact if I were you.

HTH
Yup
Old 14 December 2012, 12:18 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the doctor Indian ?

I only ask as I've found Indians to be very precise with timing and rules and although I'm sure it's not the case, they come across as not being totally focused on personality or compassion.

I base this on the many doctors and professionals I have dealt with. Indians seems to be the more intelligent but lacking in the above.
Old 14 December 2012, 12:30 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

LOL, I've had the same "you've already told me about one problem, make an appointment for the next", managed to get him to listen though, mainly by refusing to leave cos I is a fat b'stard!

Also, whenever I have a docs appointment, its always at least half an hour late where they seem to have been chatting to the old biddy before me about her bingo antics or whatever for half an hour and my appointment is done in three minutes.......
Old 14 December 2012, 12:54 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

In an emergency appointment where I deal with all the immediate demand that morning and have 5 mins I ask patients to give me their most important problem but will do more if important. I will often ask a patient with several longstanding problems to prioritise their immediate need they called for that morning. In a normal booked appointment my record is a patient bringing a list of 17 unrelated problems. I tackled about 10 of them and ran late and gave a quick overview of how and when we would tackle the rest. If you were out of time because of her computer she should have accommodated you. School(boy) error for her not to find out how many problems you had early on in the consultation and prioritise, but I still get people 12 minutes into 10 minute consultation dropping in a new but important problem "whilst I'm here" and going out the door and you just have to prioritise. If I have a timewaster that arrived 8 minutes into their 10 minute appointment when I was running on time then I will curtail them to a few minutes so the next patient isn't running late. The most common reason for me running late is an earlier patient running late.

Last edited by john banks; 14 December 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 14 December 2012, 12:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Top be fair we don't know how big a target this guy is maybe he's quite small so more difficult to hit

I mean ffs, ingrowing toenail, there's people out there dying in the streets, the service is crippled through too many people and not enough money

And he's fooking complaining about lack of toenail removal promptness

Get some real world mate,

Good thing it's just a windup
Old 14 December 2012, 12:57 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

My GP has an 8 minute per visit rule. My vists are regularly longer than that, I have a number of health issues. My GP knows this and allows me a good 20 minutes if needed. I am very surprised that a GP would not listen to a patients concerns just because of a time constraint.
Old 14 December 2012, 01:05 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Top be fair we don't know how big a target this guy is maybe he's quite small so more difficult to hit

I mean ffs, ingrowing toenail, there's people out there dying in the streets, the service is crippled through too many people and not enough money

And he's fooking complaining about lack of toenail removal promptness

Get some real world mate,

Good thing it's just a windup
it's amazing that with such a high post count you still haven't learnt how to read. I never complained about my ingrown toenail but I have to go through the doctors to get referred to the podiatrist as they won't do anything if there is sign of infection. I don't see anybody dying in the street and if there was surely they would be better off at the hospital instead of at the doctors. wind your neck in and come back when you have learnt how to read things properly before spouting off
Old 14 December 2012, 01:14 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Shreksta,
At least you got an appointment, I've been trying every morning at 8am for 3 weeks, not a bloody chance
Old 14 December 2012, 01:18 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I went to the doctors a few weeks ago and was shocked at how quickly i was rushed through, that's definitely a new experience for me, and not a pleasant one. But if it means little old ladies can't clog up the system chatting about their latest knitting pattern then i'm in favour of it, even though i understand for some patients the feeling of sympathy/empathy from the doctor is a valuable part of the process which might now be lost.
Old 14 December 2012, 01:20 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall
Shreksta,
At least you got an appointment, I've been trying every morning at 8am for 3 weeks, not a bloody chance
well I had to ring 8-9 times for mine. just diagnose yourself on Google mate
Old 14 December 2012, 01:23 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Pmsl, done that mate, at the end of the diagnosis it says I need to see my GP

I can't get past the Rottweiler on reception
Old 14 December 2012, 01:32 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Last time I tried that the screen went red and said call an ambulance or make your way to A&E for what turned out to be a virus. Beechams saved the day!
Old 14 December 2012, 01:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

it's amazing that with such a high post count you still haven't learnt how to read. I never complained about my ingrown toenail but I have to go through the doctors to get referred to the podiatrist as they won't do anything if there is sign of infection. I don't see anybody dying in the street and if there was surely they would be better off at the hospital instead of at the doctors. wind your neck in and come back when you have learnt how to read things properly before spouting off
Well my apologies, however we're still back to square one, there is less an less time for relatively trivial pursuits

I think your approach would have been fine for popping down the local hardware store

Last edited by dpb; 14 December 2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 14 December 2012, 02:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

You just need to get to the point, I work with a guy that thinks I am rude as he comes over and gives a preamble like a Woody Allen Monalogue, describing in detail the current prevailing situation and various factors, I just ask him to describe the problem in one sentence and one sentence only.

I need to boiok appointment I have Trigger thumb and my elbows are cracking like mad, I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies !
Old 14 December 2012, 05:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I must be lucky then. My NHS doctor is a very knowledgeable chap and is only too keen to help as much as possible. Very pleasant as well.

Les

Quick Reply: doctors........****ing waste of time