Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Waste of space binmen.

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2012, 09:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Waste of space binmen.

Of our FIVE rubbish bins and boxes, only ONE has been emptied properly in the last two weeks.
The garden refuse bin is still 1/3 full of leaves, the main rubbish bin is 1/4 full of bags etc, the metal and glass box has alluminium containers left in it and paper from the waste paper box was strewn all up and down the street.

Why do we pay council tax for services like that?
Old 13 December 2012, 09:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to get some Eastern Europeans working on the bins, soon be sorted
Old 13 December 2012, 09:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
You need to get some Eastern Europeans working on the bins, soon be sorted
Now what's that expression I need? It sounds like "duck cough...."

Old 13 December 2012, 09:18 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Now what's that expression I need? It sounds like "duck cough...."

Old 13 December 2012, 09:37 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

mine up here in jockland are great tbh.

a cheeky wee xmas tip usually sees my year round collection go trouble free.

i know ill get the, why should you tip brigade "but i do at xmas, and ive yet to receive substandard service at any point in the year - go figure??
Old 13 December 2012, 10:02 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Collections here in the East Riding of Yorkshire are very good. Just the local t!ts annoy me who can't manage to put their cans and bottles in the recycling bin or their food waste in the correct composting bin. I can't save the dolphins on my own!
Old 13 December 2012, 10:12 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Here in Mk I find they are spot on. Until I threw out a gas hob, wire connected rings & metal bits.. Watched as one bin man ripped the wire off but left everything else!
Old 13 December 2012, 10:21 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Here in Mk I find they are spot on. Until I threw out a gas hob, wire connected rings & metal bits.. Watched as one bin man ripped the wire off but left everything else!
can you not phone the council to arrange a pickup of the unit, for them to dispose of correct;y -ie in a farmers feild lol - or local pikeys to cash in on the scrap?
Old 13 December 2012, 10:34 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Our bin men are bone idle , half the time they can't even be bothered to put the bin back from where it was left and more often than not it still has rubbish in the bottom
To busy rushing to get finished so they can knock off
I can remember the days when bin men used to come down the garden carry the bin to the wagon and then take it back again
Now look at em , they've even got wheels and can't be arssssed to wheel em more than 6ft away from the pavement
Old 13 December 2012, 10:38 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toneh
Our bin men are bone idle , half the time they can't even be bothered to put the bin back from where it was left and more often than not it still has rubbish in the bottom
I can remember the days when bin men used to come down the garden carry the bin to the wagon and then take it back again
Now look at em , they've even got wheels and can't be arssssed to wheel em more than 6ft away from the pavement
give the crew 24 cans of cheap lager at xmas and suddenly all those problems dissappear!!
feeling a touch appreciated makes all the difference tbh.

now i know ill get the" why should i, i already pay through tax" then thats fine and up to you, ill continue to receive superb service year round - you may not - is it worth it?
Old 13 December 2012, 10:48 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Shove that , I wouldn't even employ them , never mind give em extra ,
That's the trouble these days , it seems too much trouble for folk to do a proper days work for a proper days pay
Old 13 December 2012, 10:57 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Shove that , I wouldn't even employ them , never mind give em extra ,
That's the trouble these days , it seems too much trouble for folk to do a proper days work for a proper days pay
thats your veiw and fair enough tbh, but for me having worked in low paid jobs it can make all the difference to service received. ive worked many hard grafting minimum wage jobs - and that wee boost be it financial or as a gesture made a difference to moral - without question. now i earn a bit more i dont mind "tipping these guys" and subsequently receive top service - i dont pay extra to receive it, i just show my appreciation where i can.
Old 13 December 2012, 11:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

So do I: I'll show appreciation for good service, but I'm not paying extra to get decent service.
Old 13 December 2012, 11:15 PM
Karl Barrow
Scooby Regular

just to point out they are now called 'refuse operatives' cause it really makes all the difference!!
Old 13 December 2012, 11:17 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

The bin men down here are on decent money, my neighbour is our local collector so its all this end but he's on a good crack with the council and he ain't under paid I know that much!
Old 14 December 2012, 07:15 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine works as recycle collector for the local council.
I believe that some householders who make trouble for the collectors can get easily blackmarked by the collectors, and due to this will receive poor service.
As someone has pointed out if you tip them at this time of year then you are given preferential treatment I believe. A lot of the collectors look on this as extra income due to the state pay they get at the moment.
Also due to the cut backs in pay and extra rounds my mate and his crew have taken on it gets harder to provide a good service. Also they do still bring bins from back of houses but only if you have registered for that service via your local council.
A lot of the elderly people have registered for this and if they are on the list then the collectors will help get the bins from around a property, empty them and put them back.

Cannot defend anyones actions, just thought Id mention the above to bring balance to this thread
Old 14 December 2012, 07:36 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I live on the corner and my fence seems to be the collection point for my neighbors bins , so on the rrecycle collection day there is 10 bins lined up all facing the road nice an neat fo the binmen to pull to the lorry. By the time they have finished it looks like a binyard with they facing all shapes , and useally 2 or 3 blocking my driveway. So , now i deliberatly turn the bins round the wrong way (petty , i know)
Old 14 December 2012, 08:15 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jef
can you not phone the council to arrange a pickup of the unit, for them to dispose of correct;y -ie in a farmers feild lol - or local pikeys to cash in on the scrap?
I intend to do one better then this. The old electric bottom section and all the wood surround is going to the tip this weekend.

Just thought they may want a small sheet of metal
Old 14 December 2012, 08:33 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
I live on the corner and my fence seems to be the collection point for my neighbors bins , so on the rrecycle collection day there is 10 bins lined up all facing the road nice an neat fo the binmen to pull to the lorry. By the time they have finished it looks like a binyard with they facing all shapes , and useally 2 or 3 blocking my driveway. So , now i deliberatly turn the bins round the wrong way (petty , i know)
OK

But I bet you don't have the problems the OP has stated.

We must have a better class of binman over here
Old 14 December 2012, 09:16 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by alcazar
So do I: I'll show appreciation for good service, but I'm not paying extra to get decent service.
I pay an extra £40 a year for garden waste collection and have yet to have a successful collection on the actual day. Had to contact them every single time to report failed collections.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:18 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I drive my recycling and large cardboard box work waste to dump most weeks leaving one or two sacks usual household waste
Buggered if I'm giving them a tip, they probably make twice mine as it is
Old 14 December 2012, 04:08 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
OK

But I bet you don't have the problems the OP has stated.

We must have a better class of binman over here
Well , they didnt empty my recycle bin (im very enviro friendly to counterballance my Scoob ownership) because i (mistakenly) put one peice of the wrong type of clear plastic in (a fruit punnet) 4 weeks is a long time ! Fair enough it was my mistake (plastic bottles only ) but most of what would have went to recycle in those two weeks ended up in the landfill bin.

But not as bad as OP , no.
Old 14 December 2012, 04:20 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Well , they didnt empty my recycle bin (im very enviro friendly to counterballance my Scoob ownership) because i (mistakenly) put one peice of the wrong type of clear plastic in (a fruit punnet) 4 weeks is a long time ! Fair enough it was my mistake (plastic bottles only ) but most of what would have went to recycle in those two weeks ended up in the landfill bin.

But not as bad as OP , no.
You got a blue bin for recycling or something else?
Weird, because they never check my recycle bin, just gets wheeled up and tipped in
Old 14 December 2012, 04:59 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jef
mine up here in jockland are great tbh.

a cheeky wee xmas tip usually sees my year round collection go trouble free.

i know ill get the, why should you tip brigade "but i do at xmas, and ive yet to receive substandard service at any point in the year - go figure??
+1

It's amazing what £20 at christmas will do for the rest of the year, it's probably the best £20 i spend all year round.

My bin men take anything and everything i put outside next to the bins, they pull them off the drive if i forget and put them back, i think i'm on the Gold service package.

They even move the bin wagon for me when they see me coming, the driver used to be on the bins and i've always said hello, give em tips and just been nice to them, my nan would make them and the window cleaner mince pies and cups of tea, and always taught me to look after the bin men at xmas.

It would appear some treat them as second class citizens so get the service they deserve.
Old 14 December 2012, 05:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Have you noticed how they always park the lorry to cause the maximum problems to other traffic!

Les
Old 14 December 2012, 06:42 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
You got a blue bin for recycling or something else?
Weird, because they never check my recycle bin, just gets wheeled up and tipped in
Blue for paper/bottles/cans , Green for grass/food waste , black for all the rest.
Old 14 December 2012, 06:53 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Have you noticed how they always park the lorry to cause the maximum problems to other traffic!

Les
Unfortunately I've done this job Les, when I first started I was instructed to stop the lorry in this position to "fend off" for the lads working at the rear
Old 14 December 2012, 07:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
give the crew 24 cans of cheap lager at xmas and suddenly all those problems dissappear!!
feeling a touch appreciated makes all the difference tbh.

now i know ill get the" why should i, i already pay through tax" then thats fine and up to you, ill continue to receive superb service year round - you may not - is it worth it?
If everyone on your street did the same, they'd be too pissed to offer superb service

All year round

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 14 December 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 14 December 2012, 07:25 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
No.
Old 14 December 2012, 07:37 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

To be fair, the days when they used to carry the bin to the road was when I was a kid. Imagine how many more houses there are nowadays and I bet the number of binmen hasn`t increased accordingly.

Quick Reply: Waste of space binmen.