ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Waste of space binmen. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/958998-waste-of-space-binmen.html)

alcazar 13 December 2012 09:05 PM

Waste of space binmen.

Of our FIVE rubbish bins and boxes, only ONE has been emptied properly in the last two weeks.
The garden refuse bin is still 1/3 full of leaves, the main rubbish bin is 1/4 full of bags etc, the metal and glass box has alluminium containers left in it and paper from the waste paper box was strewn all up and down the street.

Why do we pay council tax for services like that?

f1_fan 13 December 2012 09:07 PM

You need to get some Eastern Europeans working on the bins, soon be sorted ;)

alcazar 13 December 2012 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10904871)
You need to get some Eastern Europeans working on the bins, soon be sorted ;)

Now what's that expression I need? It sounds like "duck cough...."

:D

f1_fan 13 December 2012 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10904882)
Now what's that expression I need? It sounds like "duck cough...."

:D

:lol1::lol1:

jef 13 December 2012 09:37 PM

mine up here in jockland are great tbh.

a cheeky wee xmas tip usually sees my year round collection go trouble free.

i know ill get the, why should you tip brigade "but i do at xmas, and ive yet to receive substandard service at any point in the year - go figure??

mgcvk 13 December 2012 10:02 PM

Collections here in the East Riding of Yorkshire are very good. Just the local t!ts annoy me who can't manage to put their cans and bottles in the recycling bin or their food waste in the correct composting bin. I can't save the dolphins on my own! :mad:

RobsyUK 13 December 2012 10:12 PM

Here in Mk I find they are spot on. Until I threw out a gas hob, wire connected rings & metal bits.. Watched as one bin man ripped the wire off but left everything else!

jef 13 December 2012 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 10904955)
Here in Mk I find they are spot on. Until I threw out a gas hob, wire connected rings & metal bits.. Watched as one bin man ripped the wire off but left everything else!

can you not phone the council to arrange a pickup of the unit, for them to dispose of correct;y -ie in a farmers feild lol - or local pikeys to cash in on the scrap?

toneh 13 December 2012 10:34 PM

Our bin men are bone idle , half the time they can't even be bothered to put the bin back from where it was left and more often than not it still has rubbish in the bottom
To busy rushing to get finished so they can knock off
I can remember the days when bin men used to come down the garden carry the bin to the wagon and then take it back again
Now look at em , they've even got wheels and can't be arssssed to wheel em more than 6ft away from the pavement

jef 13 December 2012 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by toneh (Post 10904994)
Our bin men are bone idle , half the time they can't even be bothered to put the bin back from where it was left and more often than not it still has rubbish in the bottom
I can remember the days when bin men used to come down the garden carry the bin to the wagon and then take it back again
Now look at em , they've even got wheels and can't be arssssed to wheel em more than 6ft away from the pavement

give the crew 24 cans of cheap lager at xmas and suddenly all those problems dissappear!!
feeling a touch appreciated makes all the difference tbh.

now i know ill get the" why should i, i already pay through tax" then thats fine and up to you, ill continue to receive superb service year round - you may not - is it worth it?

toneh 13 December 2012 10:48 PM

Shove that , I wouldn't even employ them , never mind give em extra ,
That's the trouble these days , it seems too much trouble for folk to do a proper days work for a proper days pay

jef 13 December 2012 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by toneh (Post 10905009)
Shove that , I wouldn't even employ them , never mind give em extra ,
That's the trouble these days , it seems too much trouble for folk to do a proper days work for a proper days pay

thats your veiw and fair enough tbh, but for me having worked in low paid jobs it can make all the difference to service received. ive worked many hard grafting minimum wage jobs - and that wee boost be it financial or as a gesture made a difference to moral - without question. now i earn a bit more i dont mind "tipping these guys" and subsequently receive top service - i dont pay extra to receive it, i just show my appreciation where i can.

alcazar 13 December 2012 11:10 PM

So do I: I'll show appreciation for good service, but I'm not paying extra to get decent service.

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 11:15 PM

just to point out they are now called 'refuse operatives' cause it really makes all the difference!!

Infected by sti 13 December 2012 11:17 PM

The bin men down here are on decent money, my neighbour is our local collector so its all :cool: this end :D but he's on a good crack with the council and he ain't under paid I know that much!

jpor 14 December 2012 07:15 AM

A mate of mine works as recycle collector for the local council.
I believe that some householders who make trouble for the collectors can get easily blackmarked by the collectors, and due to this will receive poor service.
As someone has pointed out if you tip them at this time of year then you are given preferential treatment I believe. A lot of the collectors look on this as extra income due to the state pay they get at the moment.
Also due to the cut backs in pay and extra rounds my mate and his crew have taken on it gets harder to provide a good service. Also they do still bring bins from back of houses but only if you have registered for that service via your local council.
A lot of the elderly people have registered for this and if they are on the list then the collectors will help get the bins from around a property, empty them and put them back.

Cannot defend anyones actions, just thought Id mention the above to bring balance to this thread ;)

CharlySkunkWeed 14 December 2012 07:36 AM

I live on the corner and my fence seems to be the collection point for my neighbors bins , so on the rrecycle collection day there is 10 bins lined up all facing the road nice an neat fo the binmen to pull to the lorry. By the time they have finished it looks like a binyard with they facing all shapes , and useally 2 or 3 blocking my driveway. So , now i deliberatly turn the bins round the wrong way (petty , i know)

RobsyUK 14 December 2012 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jef (Post 10904974)
can you not phone the council to arrange a pickup of the unit, for them to dispose of correct;y -ie in a farmers feild lol - or local pikeys to cash in on the scrap?

I intend to do one better then this. The old electric bottom section and all the wood surround is going to the tip this weekend.

Just thought they may want a small sheet of metal

urban 14 December 2012 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 10905190)
I live on the corner and my fence seems to be the collection point for my neighbors bins , so on the rrecycle collection day there is 10 bins lined up all facing the road nice an neat fo the binmen to pull to the lorry. By the time they have finished it looks like a binyard with they facing all shapes , and useally 2 or 3 blocking my driveway. So , now i deliberatly turn the bins round the wrong way (petty , i know)

OK

But I bet you don't have the problems the OP has stated.

We must have a better class of binman over here

DJ Dunk 14 December 2012 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10905048)
So do I: I'll show appreciation for good service, but I'm not paying extra to get decent service.

I pay an extra £40 a year for garden waste collection and have yet to have a successful collection on the actual day. Had to contact them every single time to report failed collections.

dpb 14 December 2012 09:18 AM

I drive my recycling and large cardboard box work waste to dump most weeks leaving one or two sacks usual household waste
Buggered if I'm giving them a tip, they probably make twice mine as it is

CharlySkunkWeed 14 December 2012 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 10905232)
OK

But I bet you don't have the problems the OP has stated.

We must have a better class of binman over here

Well , they didnt empty my recycle bin (im very enviro friendly to counterballance my Scoob ownership) because i (mistakenly) put one peice of the wrong type of clear plastic in (a fruit punnet) 4 weeks is a long time ! Fair enough it was my mistake (plastic bottles only ) but most of what would have went to recycle in those two weeks ended up in the landfill bin.

But not as bad as OP , no.

urban 14 December 2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 10905799)
Well , they didnt empty my recycle bin (im very enviro friendly to counterballance my Scoob ownership) because i (mistakenly) put one peice of the wrong type of clear plastic in (a fruit punnet) 4 weeks is a long time ! Fair enough it was my mistake (plastic bottles only ) but most of what would have went to recycle in those two weeks ended up in the landfill bin.

But not as bad as OP , no.

You got a blue bin for recycling or something else?
Weird, because they never check my recycle bin, just gets wheeled up and tipped in

ditchmyster 14 December 2012 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by jef (Post 10904903)
mine up here in jockland are great tbh.

a cheeky wee xmas tip usually sees my year round collection go trouble free.

i know ill get the, why should you tip brigade "but i do at xmas, and ive yet to receive substandard service at any point in the year - go figure??

+1

It's amazing what £20 at christmas will do for the rest of the year, it's probably the best £20 i spend all year round.

My bin men take anything and everything i put outside next to the bins, they pull them off the drive if i forget and put them back, i think i'm on the Gold service package.:lol1:

They even move the bin wagon for me when they see me coming,:lol1: the driver used to be on the bins and i've always said hello, give em tips and just been nice to them, my nan would make them and the window cleaner mince pies and cups of tea, and always taught me to look after the bin men at xmas.;)

It would appear some treat them as second class citizens so get the service they deserve:lol1:.

Leslie 14 December 2012 05:39 PM

Have you noticed how they always park the lorry to cause the maximum problems to other traffic!

Les

CharlySkunkWeed 14 December 2012 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 10905810)
You got a blue bin for recycling or something else?
Weird, because they never check my recycle bin, just gets wheeled up and tipped in

Blue for paper/bottles/cans , Green for grass/food waste , black for all the rest.

steve ex vauxhall 14 December 2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10905918)
Have you noticed how they always park the lorry to cause the maximum problems to other traffic!

Les

Unfortunately I've done this job Les, when I first started I was instructed to stop the lorry in this position to "fend off" for the lads working at the rear

chocolate_o_brian 14 December 2012 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by jef (Post 10905001)
give the crew 24 cans of cheap lager at xmas and suddenly all those problems dissappear!!
feeling a touch appreciated makes all the difference tbh.

now i know ill get the" why should i, i already pay through tax" then thats fine and up to you, ill continue to receive superb service year round - you may not - is it worth it?

If everyone on your street did the same, they'd be too pissed to offer superb service :lol1:

All year round ;)

ditchmyster 14 December 2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10905918)

Les

No.:D

ScoobySteve69 14 December 2012 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by toneh (Post 10904994)

To be fair, the days when they used to carry the bin to the road was when I was a kid. Imagine how many more houses there are nowadays and I bet the number of binmen hasn`t increased accordingly.