Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky Multi - Room

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2012, 12:56 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Multi - Room

We are seriously thinking about getting an extra box for the bedroom.

Sky are offering a 2TB box for £49 plus £60 installation. Then we just move the smaller 250gb box we already have to the bedroom and the new 2TB box into the living room.

They have also offered to credit my account with £30 as a 'sweetner'.

Anyone know if this is the maximum they are offering?

I can get a standard non recordable box for just £10.25 a month with no upfront cost but I see this a step backwards.
Old 21 November 2012, 01:07 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Do you really need it though?

We rarely watch different channels in different rooms and if we DO decide to do that, i can just fire up the Mac onto the TV in the living room and watch online channels for nowt.
Old 21 November 2012, 01:15 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

When my box went wrong, Sky wanted over £200 to replace it with a new box, even though I had heard other people had got one for £49.

I called cancellations and was offered multiroom free for 12 months, a replacement Sky+ HD box for my knackered one and a new 2TB box, with free installation, all for £49. I was upfront with the guy and he was very helpful, so my advice is to keep trying!
Old 21 November 2012, 01:16 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

It would nice to have the option.
I have thought about fitting a magic eye but there will be times when we both want to watch different channels at different times.

I know we do not 'need' it. We just want it.
Old 21 November 2012, 01:21 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I tried the whole ' I want to cancel' trick before and it back-fired as the person actually set the cancellation ball rolling. Once it starts, you can't stop it. Ended up signing up again in my wifes name.

I am about to take out sky broadband with them as well and even when I said this, the guy wouldn't budge any further. He is ringing back tonight when I am home from work and I might just say, 'Box for £49 with no installation charge or you don't get multi room or broad band.'

Old 21 November 2012, 01:24 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

2gb!? Bit over kill is it not?
Old 21 November 2012, 01:57 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gear Head
I tried the whole ' I want to cancel' trick before and it back-fired as the person actually set the cancellation ball rolling. Once it starts, you can't stop it. Ended up signing up again in my wifes name.

I am about to take out sky broadband with them as well and even when I said this, the guy wouldn't budge any further. He is ringing back tonight when I am home from work and I might just say, 'Box for £49 with no installation charge or you don't get multi room or broad band.'

I assume the person you're speaking with is English, and not from Bangladesh - big difference.

Put it this way, about a year or so ago I asked about upgrading my HD box to the new 1Tb box, as my old HD box had began to freeze more often.
They wanted silly money.
I expressed my disappointment and someone called me back.

End result, new 1Tb box FOC and I pay £20 carriage
Old 21 November 2012, 02:41 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

I tried the whole ' I want to cancel' trick before and it back-fired
I should clarify that I made it clear that I didn't want to cancel, I just wanted the best deal he could offer me - he was Scottish and not Indian, so that might have helped, as we could (just about!) understand each other.
Old 21 November 2012, 02:45 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
2gb!? Bit over kill is it not?
You mean 2TB?

Not at all really. Anything in HD takes up a lot of spares. I think a entire F1 race takes about 15% of my 250gb box.

Oh and how many Apple devices do you have?

Last edited by Gear Head; 21 November 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 21 November 2012, 02:57 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I assume the person you're speaking with is English, and not from Bangladesh - big difference.

Put it this way, about a year or so ago I asked about upgrading my HD box to the new 1Tb box, as my old HD box had began to freeze more often.
They wanted silly money.
I expressed my disappointment and someone called me back.

End result, new 1Tb box FOC and I pay £20 carriage
Were you out of contract though? My current 12 month contract ends in Feb 2013.
Old 21 November 2012, 03:18 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

I recently cancelled my Sky, had tv, phone and broadband, I've been a customer for nearly 20 years and to keep me I was offered a £7 discount for 6 months

Nearly worked !!
Old 21 November 2012, 03:22 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I am just wondering how many Sky customers this new 'You view' system is going to take.
From working it out, Sky will cost me £57 a month with TV, HD, Line Rental and Broadband. Youview with Talk Talk with the sky channel I watch is only £35. Hmm.
Old 21 November 2012, 03:32 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Yes, but if i've to take into account any SERVICE issue i have with TalkTalk, i'll never join them.

Whenever i have a problem with Sky, it's dealt with quickly and usually perfect straight away. TalkTalk supplies our phone and BB at work....cr@p.
Old 21 November 2012, 04:01 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

You mean 2TB?

Not at all really. Anything in HD takes up a lot of spares. I think a entire F1 race takes about 15% of my 250gb box.

Oh and how many Apple devices do you have?
We have a 1TB box, and to be honest, we can't fill it. There are pages and pages of recordings, mostly in HD, and it's still 67% free!

If it goes bang, think how much you will lose

Geezer
Old 21 November 2012, 04:06 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

You view is a glorified freeview box, it's crap
Old 21 November 2012, 04:13 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

I have the full package HD, Broadband, Line rental plus all channels incl. sports and movies. Pay something like £68 p/m i think for it all. Do I watch that much TV....hell no but it is convenient to watch sports or movies when I want.

We have a single HD Tv in the living room broadcasting HD and 5.1 surround sound.

I get a 25% discount on my tv subscription as I complained about there sky anytime service over a year ago which i was promised.

Long story short its the best discount they could give me as good will gesture for the hassle they caused. I'ev tried to ring up about another poor aspects but was told they cannot apply another discount if I already have one. The discount is a saving of £12.50 a month, which is equivilent to free HD subscription. Not tied into a contract and discount does not expire. Quite a happy chappy

You need to look at whether two boxes are feasible and factor in the additional HD cost if you plan to view HD on both channels. Actually check it may only be one cost
Old 21 November 2012, 04:43 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chet123
I have the full package HD, Broadband, Line rental plus all channels incl. sports and movies. Pay something like £68 p/m i think for it all. Do I watch that much TV....hell no but it is convenient to watch sports or movies when I want.

We have a single HD Tv in the living room broadcasting HD and 5.1 surround sound.

I get a 25% discount on my tv subscription as I complained about there sky anytime service over a year ago which i was promised.

Long story short its the best discount they could give me as good will gesture for the hassle they caused. I'ev tried to ring up about another poor aspects but was told they cannot apply another discount if I already have one. The discount is a saving of £12.50 a month, which is equivilent to free HD subscription. Not tied into a contract and discount does not expire. Quite a happy chappy

You need to look at whether two boxes are feasible and factor in the additional HD cost if you plan to view HD on both channels. Actually check it may only be one cost
Per month, it is £10.25 for an extra box. Doesn't matter if it is HD or not.

I just working out how much youview would cost for all the channels I watch now - £44.00!

Think I will stay with Sky.