ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sky Multi - Room (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/956773-sky-multi-room.html)

Gear Head 21 November 2012 12:56 PM

Sky Multi - Room

We are seriously thinking about getting an extra box for the bedroom.

Sky are offering a 2TB box for £49 plus £60 installation. Then we just move the smaller 250gb box we already have to the bedroom and the new 2TB box into the living room.

They have also offered to credit my account with £30 as a 'sweetner'.

Anyone know if this is the maximum they are offering?

I can get a standard non recordable box for just £10.25 a month with no upfront cost but I see this a step backwards. :D

drb5 21 November 2012 01:07 PM

Do you really need it though?

We rarely watch different channels in different rooms and if we DO decide to do that, i can just fire up the Mac onto the TV in the living room and watch online channels for nowt.

Daryl 21 November 2012 01:15 PM

When my box went wrong, Sky wanted over £200 to replace it with a new box, even though I had heard other people had got one for £49.

I called cancellations and was offered multiroom free for 12 months, a replacement Sky+ HD box for my knackered one and a new 2TB box, with free installation, all for £49. I was upfront with the guy and he was very helpful, so my advice is to keep trying!

Gear Head 21 November 2012 01:16 PM

It would nice to have the option.
I have thought about fitting a magic eye but there will be times when we both want to watch different channels at different times.

I know we do not 'need' it. We just want it. :thumb:

Gear Head 21 November 2012 01:21 PM

I tried the whole ' I want to cancel' trick before and it back-fired as the person actually set the cancellation ball rolling. Once it starts, you can't stop it. Ended up signing up again in my wifes name. :rolleyes:

I am about to take out sky broadband with them as well and even when I said this, the guy wouldn't budge any further. He is ringing back tonight when I am home from work and I might just say, 'Box for £49 with no installation charge or you don't get multi room or broad band.'

:D

Ant 21 November 2012 01:24 PM

2gb!? Bit over kill is it not?

urban 21 November 2012 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10877130)
I tried the whole ' I want to cancel' trick before and it back-fired as the person actually set the cancellation ball rolling. Once it starts, you can't stop it. Ended up signing up again in my wifes name. :rolleyes:

I am about to take out sky broadband with them as well and even when I said this, the guy wouldn't budge any further. He is ringing back tonight when I am home from work and I might just say, 'Box for £49 with no installation charge or you don't get multi room or broad band.'

:D

I assume the person you're speaking with is English, and not from Bangladesh - big difference.

Put it this way, about a year or so ago I asked about upgrading my HD box to the new 1Tb box, as my old HD box had began to freeze more often.
They wanted silly money.
I expressed my disappointment and someone called me back.

End result, new 1Tb box FOC and I pay £20 carriage :D

Daryl 21 November 2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10877130)
I tried the whole ' I want to cancel' trick before and it back-fired

I should clarify that I made it clear that I didn't want to cancel, I just wanted the best deal he could offer me - he was Scottish and not Indian, so that might have helped, as we could (just about!) understand each other.

Gear Head 21 November 2012 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10877135)
2gb!? Bit over kill is it not?

You mean 2TB?

Not at all really. Anything in HD takes up a lot of spares. I think a entire F1 race takes about 15% of my 250gb box.

Oh and how many Apple devices do you have? :thumb:

Gear Head 21 November 2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 10877174)
I assume the person you're speaking with is English, and not from Bangladesh - big difference.

Put it this way, about a year or so ago I asked about upgrading my HD box to the new 1Tb box, as my old HD box had began to freeze more often.
They wanted silly money.
I expressed my disappointment and someone called me back.

End result, new 1Tb box FOC and I pay £20 carriage :D

Were you out of contract though? My current 12 month contract ends in Feb 2013.

DARB 21 November 2012 03:18 PM

I recently cancelled my Sky, had tv, phone and broadband, I've been a customer for nearly 20 years and to keep me I was offered a £7 discount for 6 months :eek:

Nearly worked !! :lol1:

Gear Head 21 November 2012 03:22 PM

I am just wondering how many Sky customers this new 'You view' system is going to take.
From working it out, Sky will cost me £57 a month with TV, HD, Line Rental and Broadband. Youview with Talk Talk with the sky channel I watch is only £35. Hmm.

drb5 21 November 2012 03:32 PM

Yes, but if i've to take into account any SERVICE issue i have with TalkTalk, i'll never join them.

Whenever i have a problem with Sky, it's dealt with quickly and usually perfect straight away. TalkTalk supplies our phone and BB at work....cr@p.

Geezer 21 November 2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10877238)
You mean 2TB?

Not at all really. Anything in HD takes up a lot of spares. I think a entire F1 race takes about 15% of my 250gb box.

Oh and how many Apple devices do you have? :thumb:

We have a 1TB box, and to be honest, we can't fill it. There are pages and pages of recordings, mostly in HD, and it's still 67% free!

If it goes bang, think how much you will lose ;)

Geezer

Ant 21 November 2012 04:06 PM

You view is a glorified freeview box, it's crap

chet123 21 November 2012 04:13 PM

I have the full package HD, Broadband, Line rental plus all channels incl. sports and movies. Pay something like £68 p/m i think for it all. Do I watch that much TV....hell no but it is convenient to watch sports or movies when I want.

We have a single HD Tv in the living room broadcasting HD and 5.1 surround sound.

I get a 25% discount on my tv subscription as I complained about there sky anytime service over a year ago which i was promised.

Long story short its the best discount they could give me as good will gesture for the hassle they caused. I'ev tried to ring up about another poor aspects but was told they cannot apply another discount if I already have one. The discount is a saving of £12.50 a month, which is equivilent to free HD subscription. Not tied into a contract and discount does not expire. Quite a happy chappy

You need to look at whether two boxes are feasible and factor in the additional HD cost if you plan to view HD on both channels. Actually check it may only be one cost

Gear Head 21 November 2012 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by chet123 (Post 10877342)
I have the full package HD, Broadband, Line rental plus all channels incl. sports and movies. Pay something like £68 p/m i think for it all. Do I watch that much TV....hell no but it is convenient to watch sports or movies when I want.

We have a single HD Tv in the living room broadcasting HD and 5.1 surround sound.

I get a 25% discount on my tv subscription as I complained about there sky anytime service over a year ago which i was promised.

Long story short its the best discount they could give me as good will gesture for the hassle they caused. I'ev tried to ring up about another poor aspects but was told they cannot apply another discount if I already have one. The discount is a saving of £12.50 a month, which is equivilent to free HD subscription. Not tied into a contract and discount does not expire. Quite a happy chappy

You need to look at whether two boxes are feasible and factor in the additional HD cost if you plan to view HD on both channels. Actually check it may only be one cost

Per month, it is £10.25 for an extra box. Doesn't matter if it is HD or not. :thumb:

I just working out how much youview would cost for all the channels I watch now - £44.00!

Think I will stay with Sky.