Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Olympic Stadium - you couldn't make it up!

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2012, 10:37 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Olympic Stadium - you couldn't make it up!

Against my better judgement London delivered a brilliant Olympic Games and for a minute there I thought we had turned a corner regarding making a farce out of anything sporting infrastructure related.

For example Wembley costing many many times more to build than a full F1 track including an airport and mini hospital in the Bahrain desert or the protracted journey of over 10 years to build a football academy similar to all thoise operating in other European countries for many years already.

The London games proved we could do it, deliver a sporting project on time and be the envy of the world. Granted we spent 3 times the original budget getting there, but the Games were great and all the plans were in place to leave a lasting legacy and reuse all the facilities provided for the games unlike Athens where just about every venue today lies in ruins.

But no...... sadly the f**k up fairy is well and truly still in control. The Olympic stadium is now in danger of becoming a disused empty reminder of how not to plan properly for after a Games. How can football not have been factored in to the original design and why the hell do the toilets need refurbishing.... then there's the roof.... I give up!

Read the sorry tale here:

Olympic Stadium's future is taking too long to resolve
Old 15 November 2012, 10:46 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
For example Wembley costing many many times more to build than a full F1 track including an airport and mini hospital in the Bahrain desert or the protracted journey of over 10 years to build a football academy similar to all thoise operating in other European countries for many years already.

lol, i agree there's over spending that goes on, but its not as simple as building out in the desert lol
Old 15 November 2012, 10:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well........I assume the Olympic budget features £38million for EVERY team in the league? If not, why not?

Surely that's cheating in West Ham's favour, and the rest of the footy clubs need to take it to court.
Old 15 November 2012, 11:09 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It's the Millennium Dome all over again!
Old 15 November 2012, 01:04 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

But who has the money to buy it and make a success if it at the moment.
Don't forget that this process started well before the worst financial crisis in the history of the modern world, took affect.
Old 15 November 2012, 01:29 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

The problem is it is round. Round stadiums make poor football stadiums and add the fact that there is no corporate facilities at the olympic stadium it soon becomes unviable
Old 15 November 2012, 02:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a pity that such situations occur. Such a waste of course,.

I wonder if the fact that they did not want the new Wembley Stadium to have any ability for holding an athletic meeting have any part in this latest decision.

Les