Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A good cup of tea

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2012, 10:07 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good cup of tea

It's fair to say I like my tea and at home generally use leaf tea, usually Assam or sometimes Earl Grey or Darjeeling. I make sure I infuse it properly and always get a great cup of tea.

However I often marvel at what other people do when making me a cup of tea when I am out at a client's place or a friend's.

I don't expect them to use leaf tea or even proper tea just Tetleys or Yorkshire tea bags but they could at least give the tea time to infuse... most pour the water on the bag and then take the bag straight out before adding way too much milk and handing it to me. Mmmm, lovely... NOT!

Yesterday however I saw a new low.... I was offered a tea and watched in amusement as the guy used one tea bag to make three cups of tea passing the bag thorugh each cup for 10 seconds of tea spoon crushing action LOL! I rarely say anything, but this guy got a lesson in infusion

A good cup of tea is not hard so why do so many not know how to make one?

Last edited by f1_fan; 14 November 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 14 November 2012, 10:20 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad used to reuse tea bags as he liked very weak tea. Also, he'd buy Tesco super pikey extra value sh*te too which made it easy to see the bottom of the cup. However, if you arrived at my place and showed me how to 'infuse', I'd show you the door.
Old 14 November 2012, 10:21 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

It should be taught in schools, I hate poorly made tea.
When asked how I like my tea I say that I like it strong, not stewed. People think that to make a strong cup of tea you leave the teabag in for 5 minutes...YUK.
To make strong tea from a tea bag, pour on the water, stir, leave for about 20 seconds, a robust stir and then remove bag, add milk and enjoy TASTE, not horribly flavoured warm water.
Old 14 November 2012, 11:29 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

My mate says people who put the milk and tea bag in first, are lower than paedophiles.
Old 14 November 2012, 11:37 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
It's fair to say I like my tea and at home generally use leaf tea, usually Assam or sometimes Earl Grey or Darjeeling. I make sure I infuse it properly and always get a great cup of tea.

However I often marvel at what other people do when making me a cup of tea when I am out at a client's place or a friend's.

I don't expect them to use leaf tea or even proper tea just Tetleys or Yorkshire tea bags but they could at least give the tea time to infuse... most poor the water on the bag and then take the bag straight out before adding way too much milk and handing it to me. Mmmm, lovely... NOT!

Yesterday however I saw a new low.... I was offered a tea and watched in amusement as the guy used one tea bag to make three cups of tea passing the bag thorugh each cup for 10 seconds of tea spoon crushing action LOL! I raely say anything, but this guy got a lesson in infusion

Shockingly bad.

I must admit to being a "Builders tea" man myself and do like a good loose leaf brew but I am partial to a nice lemon and ginger infusion with a spoon of honey.
Old 14 November 2012, 11:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Marks tea bags for me.

Boiling water onto bag in cup and I prod it with spoon for 20 - 30 secs and check colour

Oddly many "recipes" suggest leaving bag to infuse for a couple of minutes which just results in a cup of stewed liquid.

Can't remember last cup from leaf tea in a teapot. Lazy sods aren't we

dl
Old 14 November 2012, 01:21 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

My mrs has half milk half tea smells & tastes like bad breath..

Me... i drink Coffee
Old 14 November 2012, 01:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Marks tea bags for me.

Boiling water onto bag in cup and I prod it with spoon for 20 - 30 secs and check colour

Oddly many "recipes" suggest leaving bag to infuse for a couple of minutes which just results in a cup of stewed liquid.

Can't remember last cup from leaf tea in a teapot. Lazy sods aren't we

dl
I infuse my Assam for around 5 minutes.... delicious! 20- 30 secs isn't worth the effort
Old 14 November 2012, 03:29 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Poor the water?
Old 14 November 2012, 04:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Red Bush is good tea.

Les
Old 14 November 2012, 04:55 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Work brews are not the greatest. We've recently added Yorkshire Tea to our stock so a bit better than PG Main issue I think is the boiler doesn't actually boil, just gets the water to somewhere near boiling point. Depending on who's in the kitchen at the time of making my brew I'll either prod and stir it for 20-30 seconds if it's someone who I don't like talking to or they're really boring or I'll leave it a few minutes if on my own or chatting to someone I do like After that, bag out, splosh of milk and I'm done.
Old 14 November 2012, 04:56 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Poor the water?
If I had a gun I would go outside and quietly do the decent thing, can't believe I did that
Old 14 November 2012, 06:05 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Yorkshire Tea is the one and only.
Old 14 November 2012, 06:21 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

in my big cup (pint size) I use three yorkshire bags.. Sometimes as a treat I leave one in as I love it strong.
Old 14 November 2012, 06:22 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Get tea from a vending machine because it's been 'infusing' for about three months.
Old 14 November 2012, 06:30 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

tea is ****-bring on the coffee
Old 14 November 2012, 06:33 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

i used to work at ringtons when i was 17, the one perk of the job was free tea bags and they were lovely i miss the freebies now
Old 14 November 2012, 06:56 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Yorkshire Tea is the one and only.
Old 14 November 2012, 07:53 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Old 14 November 2012, 08:21 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Ant
i used to work at ringtons when i was 17, the one perk of the job was free tea bags and they were lovely i miss the freebies now
I don't suppose you can recall the brand?!
Old 14 November 2012, 08:35 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

You cannot get tea to brew in less than 2-3 minutes & you must use freshly boiled water.

Most teas are a mixture of flavour & colour leaves.If you dunk the tea bag all you will get is the colour.

I am ashamed to be British at the lack of tea making skills being aired on here.
Old 14 November 2012, 08:44 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

I don`t use tea bags.....I use tea granules, perfect every time
Old 14 November 2012, 09:12 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I don't expect them to use leaf tea or even proper tea just Tetleys or Yorkshire tea bags but they could at least give the tea time to infuse... most pour the water on the bag and then take the bag straight out before adding way too much milk and handing it to me. Mmmm, lovely... NOT!

Yesterday however I saw a new low.... I was offered a tea and watched in amusement as the guy used one tea bag to make three cups of tea passing the bag thorugh each cup for 10 seconds of tea spoon crushing action LOL! I rarely say anything, but this guy got a lesson in infusion

I drink PG Tips at home and Yorkshire Tea at work. I also drink Earl Grey sometimes, but not a fan of Tetley at all for it has a metallic taste imo. My tea has to be a properly brewed tea with one tea bag a mug. It spoils my mood if it is not just the way I like it.

Whoever uses just one tea bag to make three mugs/cups of weak tea is a tight-fisted, uncultured in tea making moron. I bet his spoon was bent as ****. He's better off drinking hot water while sniffing a dry tea bag. If he has mates around for tea, they all can drink hot water, and share sniffing his tea bag whilst drinking hot water. That way he will save all his tea bags. I bet he only drinks those Value tea bags from Tesco. I think they are about .99p for 500 minging tea bags.
Old 14 November 2012, 09:14 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

my perfect cup - 300ml water with one teebag. microwave for 2mins 15 seconds. plenty milk, half a sugar. job done.
tea is just something to do in work breaks ic you dont smoke, a time killer.

coffee is proper disgusting, although the smell is lovely
Old 14 November 2012, 09:46 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Right let's get a few things straight.

Yorkshire, PG Tips and Tetleys are all low rent teas.

Try a Twinings Assam (infused properly) compared to a Yorkshire and the difference is chalk and cheese.... you will never want to drink Yorkshire again.

legb4rsk has it right, 3 mins minimum and freshly boiled water.

I think I might start a campaign for proper tea as some of the tea making practises on this thread are woeful.
Old 14 November 2012, 09:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
my perfect cup - 300ml water with one teebag. microwave for 2mins 15 seconds. plenty milk, half a sugar. job done.
tea is just something to do in work breaks ic you dont smoke, a time killer.
Microwaved tea?? The boiling water has gotta be from my colour changing kettle for me; poured straight away in a boiling state on the tea bag. I love it when the tea bag begins to release the tea colouration in water. What a beautiful sight and lovely aroma.

coffee is proper disgusting, although the smell is lovely
I agree. I don't mind filtered Fairtrade coffee sometimes, though. My ex-husband is a coffee snob. He drinks the most expensive, strongest, minging and the bitter most coffee on this earth. He takes his precious coffee maker and his favourite coffee on his tours. He also takes great pride in feeding it to the rest of the world LOL.
Old 14 November 2012, 09:58 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Right let's get a few things straight.

Yorkshire, PG Tips and Tetleys are all low rent teas.

Try a Twinings Assam (infused properly) compared to a Yorkshire and the difference is chalk and cheese.... you will never want to drink Yorkshire again.

legb4rsk has it right, 3 mins minimum and freshly boiled water.

I think I might start a campaign for proper tea as some of the tea making practises on this thread are woeful.

Tea snob. ^
Old 14 November 2012, 10:03 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Microwaved tea?? The boiling water has gotta be from my colour changing kettle for me; poured straight away in a boiling state on the tea bag. I love it when the tea bag begins to release the tea colouration in water. What a beautiful sight and lovely aroma.

I agree. I don't mind filtered Fairtrade coffee sometimes, though. My ex-husband is a coffee snob. He drinks the most expensive, strongest, minging and the bitter most coffee on this earth. He takes his precious coffee maker and his favourite coffee on his tours. He also takes great pride in feeding it to the rest of the world LOL.
haha yeah microwaved- doesnt matter how the heat is transferred to the water, its still just imparting energy to the molecules lol. admittedley my mrs wont dribk it, but lets be honedt here it saves me around 2 mins per cup.

i drink green tea and with lemon mostly twinnings and it tastes same with kettle or microwave heated water.
Old 14 November 2012, 10:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the proper tea, but i guess iv settled for the proper coffee as a poor time replica
Old 14 November 2012, 10:11 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i turn the mug upside down over the steam of the kettle, to make sure the mug is nice and warm

Quick Reply: A good cup of tea