Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gas Boiler - Vent Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2012, 12:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Boiler - Vent Inspection

I have a gas boiler fixed to tiled wall in kitchen and vent is fed directly through wall to outside.

Last time I had it serviced the guy said that the law was going to be changed and I had to have an inspection panel so that the vent pipe could be checked from the inside, above the boiler.

Anyone know what this is all about please?

David
Old 12 November 2012, 12:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I have a gas boiler fixed to tiled wall in kitchen and vent is fed directly through wall to outside.

Last time I had it serviced the guy said that the law was going to be changed and I had to have an inspection panel so that the vent pipe could be checked from the inside, above the boiler.

Anyone know what this is all about please?

David
If your flue does not run through a void then you don't need inspection hatches.

If your flue goes directly outside and no joints are hidden you are fine as you are and don't let anyone tell you different.

The rule of thumb is that if any joints or turned run of flue is in a void that can't be accessed you need an inspection hatch, a straight through the wall flue does not meet these criteria as it is possible to inspect the whole flue without needing to gain access to any void/hidden area.
Old 12 November 2012, 12:45 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/adv..._in_voids.aspx
Old 12 November 2012, 12:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
If your flue does not run through a void then you don't need inspection hatches.

If your flue goes directly outside and no joints are hidden you are fine as you are and don't let anyone tell you different.

The rule of thumb is that if any joints or turned run of flue is in a void that can't be accessed you need an inspection hatch, a straight through the wall flue does not meet these criteria as it is possible to inspect the whole flue without needing to gain access to any void/hidden area.
OK thanks for that. I am guessing that flue is a very short vertical piece directly above boiler that then turns through 90 degree into and through wall to outside. So the bend above the boiler cannot be viewed?

David
Old 12 November 2012, 12:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

OK thanks for that. I am guessing that flue is a very short vertical piece directly above boiler that then turns through 90 degree into and through wall to outside. So the bend above the boiler cannot be viewed?

David
Yes it will be about 100mm to 150mm in diameter and will come out of the top of the boiler and turn through 90 degrees before going out through the wall.

The bend can be inspected as it's there in front of you on top of the boiler. I know what you mean though as if it is a balanced flue it will have one pipe inside the other and technically you can't see the inside pipe, but the idea is to prevent fumes escaping into the house so a visual inspection and test of the outside of the flue and the joints is what they are after.

If it comes out of the top of the boiler and turns through 90 degrees before going straight through the wall to a terminal it will be fine.
Old 12 November 2012, 01:36 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

DL, does the flue disappear into the ceiling before turning 90° to the outside?

Some flues go into the wall then turn 90° in the horizontal plane inside the wall before going to the outside through the 'end' of the wall. It is that hidden bend that has to be inspectable.

The danger is that an unseen leak from a concealed joint could fill the cavity with fumes that then enter the room through electrical sockets etc.
Old 12 November 2012, 02:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Here is top of boiler and vent must be behind tiled area above and then straight through wall.

Any help?

David

Last edited by David Lock; 12 November 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12 November 2012, 02:48 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Put a hinge on a tile and a nice handle and away you go.
Old 12 November 2012, 03:19 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Here is top of boiler and vent must be behind tiled area above and then straight through wall.

Any help?

David
Yep with that you need an inspection panel as the flue joint is boxed in. Not sure if there is any legal requirement to the size of the panel but have seen 300mm x 300mm mentioned several times.

If it's your own house I think all the engineer would do is tell you it doesn't comply and insist he/she turns the bolier off, if you choose to put it back on after then you can, but insurance issues may also arise!

Last edited by f1_fan; 12 November 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12 November 2012, 03:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Yep with that you need an inspection panel as the flue joint is boxed in. Not sure if there is any legal requirement to the size of the panel but have seen 300mm x 300mm mentioned several times.

If it's your own house I think all the engineer would do is tell you it doesn't comply and insist he/she turns the bolier off, if you choose to put it back on after then you can, but insurance issues may also arise!
OK. I'm happy to comply but gas guy had no idea who could do the work and being new to the area I don't have any contacts and I don't want a yellow pages builder buggering up my nice tiled wall. I missed out on DIY at school

David