Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Energy Suppliers. Who are you with?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2012, 09:07 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Energy Suppliers. Who are you with?

Having just moved into a new property and finally giving this subject some thought rather than simply going with 'who ever' to supply out electricity and gas I thought I would try some price comparison websites. Yeesh, wish I had never bothered. There are so many variables and complicated scenarios getting a simple "who is the cheapest" isnt as straight forward as I thought.

Who do you choose and why? Who should I choose being a family of 4 (2 babies) living in fairly average sized detached house?
Old 25 October 2012, 09:15 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

We are with eon.I dont like any of the rip of merchants to be honest.Went on the website last night to provide meter readings and found I could choose the most suitable tariff for us .Click of a switch and hey presto im 100 quid a year better off.If you enquire they are duty bound to give you the best tariff for you,but they are not duty bound to tell you if you DONT ask!!!
Robbin Barstewards!!
Old 25 October 2012, 09:19 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Npower, we just saved £25 per month swapping tarrifs with them, so have a search
Old 25 October 2012, 09:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change every time my deal runs out. Changing to OVO at 9.5p/kWh whereas previous was npower at 9.0p/kWh. Staying with npower on the default end of deal package was +50%.
Old 25 October 2012, 09:34 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Ive just come across First Utility who seem to give the best rate. N power came up second.
3.3p Gas + 19.7p/day
9.5 Electricity+ 17.8p/day

This seems to be the best deal I can find. All the others seem to be considerably higher.

Then theres the to fix or not to fix dilemma. Is it worth paying extra for now?
Old 25 October 2012, 09:46 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

N power
Get my duel and direct debit discount and £100 cash back
Quite happy
Old 25 October 2012, 11:06 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

EDF. Moved over as it was the best deal at the time.
Old 26 October 2012, 12:18 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

I can`t be ar5ed changing suppliers. It always ends up being a drama and I don`t see any difference in bills anyway (I`m a low user)! I`m with Swalec and I like their website with the easiness of viewing my bills at anytime so I`m staying put.
Old 26 October 2012, 03:14 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Southern Electric for both gas and electric. I've found them to be cheaper than British Gas and NPower - both of which have terrible customer service centres 1,000's of miles away. When enquiring with SE, 100% of the time the person has had English as their first language! That's more important to me than saving 10p a day.
Old 26 October 2012, 04:52 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

A couple of years ago our neighbour asked me to feed her fish while she went on holiday, I sorted a few socket spurs through to mine so I don't really bother with chasing cheaper tariffs, but I can ask her who she's with if you want ?
Old 26 October 2012, 10:14 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
I can`t be ar5ed changing suppliers. It always ends up being a drama and I don`t see any difference in bills anyway (I`m a low user)! I`m with Swalec and I like their website with the easiness of viewing my bills at anytime so I`m staying put.
I have been with British Gas for this reason. No companies seem to be stable with their price that they offer. If BG is expensive today, Scottish Power will be the same soon. One doesn't know what to do. It seems like you are walking on the tight rope. This side is a deep valley, the other side is a deep ocean. Whichever way you fall, you are doomed. So what's the point.

BG is apparently the most expensive energy supplier. Perhaps I should search for a less deeper valley and a less deeper ocean underneath. There must be someone selling gas and electric cheaper for next 12 months or so. But this means that I have to be on my guard to see what they do as soon as their cheap offer term ends, which is a headache.
Old 26 October 2012, 12:16 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

EDF just announced a 10.8% gas price rise from December meaning their gas price has risen around 27% in 2 years!

BG are about the same.

They are all in an unofficial cartel anyway and the government are pretty powerless in reality seeing as they are all private firms!
Old 26 October 2012, 12:39 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Great, we are with EDF, although we fixed ours until late 2013 I think.
Rubbing ***** the lot of them.

Pisses all over my 1% pay increase we were told about today.
Old 26 October 2012, 12:39 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
EDF just announced a 10.8% gas price rise from December meaning their gas price has risen around 27% in 2 years!

BG are about the same.

They are all in an unofficial cartel anyway and the government are pretty powerless in reality seeing as they are all private firms!
That's who im with,won't be staying with them then,thing is though they all shove the prices up,i'm sick of these energy companies.I'll be getting my camping stove out soon and cooking on that,fecking rip off barstards,i ain't encouraging the fooklers.. :
Old 26 October 2012, 12:58 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

British Gas. The unit cost is high, but they give an early payment discount. I don't get bombarded with spam. Can't be bothered to investigate the plethora of 'deals' available every year.

Scottish Power.

Don't forget that if everyone is on the 'cheapest' tariff then that must increase so the overall take is maintained, the flaw in DC's statement that energy companies must put everyone on the cheapest tarrif.
Old 26 October 2012, 01:25 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Apparently I will be saving £150 a year by switching from BG and Atlantic for lecky and gas to Scottish Power fixed until April 2014. Plus did it through Quidco and will be getting a further £42 cashback too.
Old 26 October 2012, 08:20 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head

Pisses all over my 1% pay increase we were told about today.
I don`t get a rise for 3 years cos I stayed in my company`s final salary pension