TAXI!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2012, 05:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation TAXI!!!!

Or not ................

"Manganese Bronze, the maker of London's black cabs, has called in administrators PricewaterhouseCoopers after failing to secure new funding.

The appointment follows the suspension of its shares earlier this month, after a fault with the vehicle's steering box led to over 400 of them being recalled.

Manganese Bronze, which is based in Coventry, had been trying to secure a loan from Chinese shareholder Geely.

The company has made losses for the past four years.

Manganese Bronze, which employs 300 people, earlier this month also stopped sales of its new TX4 model.

The problem affects the vehicles' power steering and arose in a new design for the box, sourced from an unnamed new supplier since February.

The company said it had not put anyone in danger but "in extreme cases, it could affect the ability to steer the steering wheel".

It said in a statement that "the board remains hopeful that the fundamental strengths of the company, the TX4 model and its global reputation will provide the platform for a successful business in the future".

Bit like this Government then? Steering broken ... wandering clueless ...
Old 22 October 2012, 05:22 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
Or not ................

"Manganese Bronze, the maker of London's black cabs, has called in administrators PricewaterhouseCoopers after failing to secure new funding.

The appointment follows the suspension of its shares earlier this month, after a fault with the vehicle's steering box led to over 400 of them being recalled.

Manganese Bronze, which is based in Coventry, had been trying to secure a loan from Chinese shareholder Geely.

The company has made losses for the past four years.

Manganese Bronze, which employs 300 people, earlier this month also stopped sales of its new TX4 model.

The problem affects the vehicles' power steering and arose in a new design for the box, sourced from an unnamed new supplier since February.

The company said it had not put anyone in danger but "in extreme cases, it could affect the ability to steer the steering wheel".

It said in a statement that "the board remains hopeful that the fundamental strengths of the company, the TX4 model and its global reputation will provide the platform for a successful business in the future".

Bit like this Government then? Steering broken ... wandering clueless ...

they should of went into the tattoo buisness they would of made a fortune
Old 22 October 2012, 05:27 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

how can than the ability to steer being affected not be dangerous??
Old 22 October 2012, 09:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I got stopped driving way back in the 60's when I was rather drunk ....... the Coppa said, "I think you are drunk, Sir" ........

Which was quite a relief really - because I was beginning to think that my steering box had gone!!

Old 23 October 2012, 03:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Dont you use Manganese bronze for welding with. I used to use Silicon Bronze and it was very strong.

Les
Old 23 October 2012, 07:20 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

i used to work as a taxi "tester" for the local council.

couldnt beleive how some of these were made. the steering boxes were mounted on part of the chassis leg and due to the miles involved, and possibly the extremes of the steering angles, they often craked around the mounting bolts. it was a very commom fault. the fact they had a steering box atall surprised me tbh, with so many ball joints to were in all the steering arm links - although likely linked to finaces i suppose. but there was always so much play at the steering wheel.

saying that the old nissan engined tx's were great for the job, and far better than the peugots ect. the turning circle was awful on them in comparision.

the ford engined ones never had the confidence of longevity from owbers/runners.

still shame to see anyone having to fold.

as bad as some "black cabs" were, in comparison to some private hire vehicles they were aston martins lol.
i mustve driven in excess of 2000 black cabs and 3000 private hire vehicles in that time.
Old 23 October 2012, 07:28 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

That is a great shame. Can't be many british automotive manufacturers left now.