Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

George Entwistle - shortest ever tenure as BBC director-general?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2012, 10:38 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default George Entwistle - shortest ever tenure as BBC director-general?

If the previews of tomorrow night's Panorama are accurate I can't see him lasting beyond the culture and media select committee grilling on Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-managers.html
Old 22 October 2012, 02:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It will be interesting to say the least.

Les
Old 10 November 2012, 09:41 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

He lasted a bit longer than I thought, and it took a second complete ****-up, but he has the record. Good riddance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ht-fiasco.html
Old 10 November 2012, 09:44 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's just hope he got a good payoff.
Old 10 November 2012, 09:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

To be frank, I don't really care;

Entwistle probably was the last person to try and cover this lot up.

There are countless folk in the business who preceeded him that did the very same, and worse, many of whom escaped such criticism, and IMO they derserve the most of it.

I mean I caught some snippet of a documentary a while back with the holier than thou ****-kisser that is Paul Gambaccini saying that he knew about it....strange that now he has everything to say, but didn't utter a word twenty years ago? What a spineless little sh*t he is.

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 November 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10 November 2012, 10:05 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I'd like to say I don't care either except that our taxes fund this at least partly morally bankrupt organisation and yet today they felt no need to make anyone available to talk to any other media organisation other than their own!

Newsnight would have been shut down at the behest of the advertisers on any commercial station yet here we are still funding the poorly researched libelous nonsense it passes off for so called investigative journalism while the man at the top of the shambolic mess clings to his job like a limpet with OCD ..... until finally prised away!

Last edited by f1_fan; 10 November 2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Just seen the news that he resigned ... or was maybe pushed more like?
Old 11 November 2012, 06:32 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I'd like to say I don't care either except that our taxes fund this at least partly morally bankrupt organisation and yet today they felt no need to make anyone available to talk to any other media organisation other than their own!

Newsnight would have been shut down at the behest of the advertisers on any commercial station yet here we are still funding the poorly researched libelous nonsense it passes off for so called investigative journalism while the man at the top of the shambolic mess clings to his job like a limpet with OCD ..... until finally prised away!
It isn't tax mate - it's a licence fee and as such, we are not obliged to pay it.*

*Just paraphrasing you on that one
Old 11 November 2012, 07:38 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

The BBC never abused anyone, it is a fantastic organisation and one of the greatest brands in the world.

This is how it should work. A crime is commited against you (ie abuse), you go to the police, they investigate, catch and punish the perpetrator. End off.
Old 11 November 2012, 08:30 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
The BBC never abused anyone, it is a fantastic organisation and one of the greatest brands in the world.
I disagree - I think it is a complete anachronism that has outlived any pretence of usefulness.
All it is good for is to serve as an example of what to expect from a large publicly funded organisation that has no effective competition.
The birds have come home to roost, though I dare-say people are too brainwashed to see it/do anything about it.
This organisation like other large monopoly public service providers will continue to be cherished by the many.
On the plus side though, they do provide a good living to unambitious muddle-class types like my good-self.
Old 11 November 2012, 09:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

actually I think the Beeb takes about £250 million from the tax payer which is in addition to the funds gained from the licence fee. Eitherway I don't think it being a private or publically owned company would have made any difference when it comes to cover ups and internal scandals.

For example; The Murdochs and their entourage are still at large and even when caught red handed they've mostly escaped any real punishment, bar answering few questions in a few fruitless enquiries and rebranding the NotW to the Sun on Sunday.

The same can be said for those in charge of the banks that were knowingly run into the ground requiring government bail outs (Goodwin etc.)

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 November 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11 November 2012, 09:52 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
I disagree - I think it is a complete anachronism that has outlived any pretence of usefulness.
All it is good for is to serve as an example of what to expect from a large publicly funded organisation that has no effective competition.
The birds have come home to roost, though I dare-say people are too brainwashed to see it/do anything about it.
This organisation like other large monopoly public service providers will continue to be cherished by the many.
On the plus side though, they do provide a good living to unambitious muddle-class types like my good-self.
I'd pay the license fee on its own to be able to read BBCNewsonline every day WITHOUT adverts.

Ad to that.

Radio 5 (no adverts)
BBC online
Big events like the Olympics........

Last edited by paulr; 11 November 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11 November 2012, 11:06 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

What a bloody OTT fuss the beeb are making Midnight news on R4 last night had 22 mins on this and then a a few minutes left to mention more killings in Syria and Man U being top of the league. Anyone would think WW3 had broken out.

So Entwistle turned out to be a spineless **** and clearly the wrong man for the job - which itself questions whether Patten should get on his bike.

Just needs a strong character to come in and clear out the rubbish, especially the cub reporters on Newsnight.

Pity they can't get rid of that smug git Humpries (or however his name is spelt), can't stand his "Daily Mail" attitude

And all these bloody enquiries. They will just disappear into a black hole as there simply won't be evidence to charge many people. Screwing 14 year olds is not something you do in front of witnesses.

dl
Old 11 November 2012, 12:12 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by cster
I take it you've never lived abroad? Prolonged exposure to the advert laden detritus that is foreign television gives one a real appreciation of just how special and important the programme making side of the BBC is

The Bureaucracy side however has been in desperate need of a good old fashioned Stalinist purge for many years now, unfortunately the ones needing purging are the ones connected politically
Old 11 November 2012, 12:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I feel sorry for him that he has had to resign after only 2 months in the job.

I don't think he can be expected to personally monitor every broadcast before it is transmitted and as he said beforehand, he accepted that he is effectively the grand editor in chief for the BBC but he trusted the Newsweek editorial staff to make a proper job of checking their programme in every respect before transmission and I reckon he can be forgiven in this case since he did not see the programme's content and neither was it brought to his attention. Newsweek certainly knew about his requirements before they transmitted the programme.

The fault of course for such a blindingly idiotic mistake lies firmly at the feet of the Newsweek staff. They should be metaphorically strung up for doing that and I hope that Lord McAlpine sues them personally for damages.

Les
Old 11 November 2012, 01:53 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I feel sorry for him that he has had to resign after only 2 months in the job.
I kind of feel sorry for him as well, but it's been pretty clear from the way he has handled himself over both Newsnight scandals that he is not the right man for the job.

The whole thing shows just how little ability most BBC managers have. It's difficult to comprehend how the McAlpine expose was signed off by senior BBC news managers with no-one asking probing questions about how Messham had identified McAlpine.

It sounds like the classic problem with difficult decision making in organisations with too many layers of management - no-one low enough in the management chain to understand why it is a difficult decision is brave enough to make the call, so it gets passed up the line until it reaches someone who doesn't understand the issues so takes the decision in ignorance.
Old 11 November 2012, 02:27 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I take it you've never lived abroad? Prolonged exposure to the advert laden detritus that is foreign television gives one a real appreciation of just how special and important the programme making side of the BBC is
I have and you are correct to a degree.
But can an institution of this size/type be justified by the fact that it gives us advert free entertainment?
Personally, I don't think so.
ps It should be noted that there is also a fair bit of detritus that is produced by the BBC.

Last edited by cster; 11 November 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11 November 2012, 10:53 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Nice payoff for 8 weeks work
Old 11 November 2012, 11:49 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by warrenm2

Agree more of our licence fee and tax money gone

About time we got rid of the BBQ and they became commercial like itv and sky channels
Old 12 November 2012, 07:10 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
1.3 million pounds.
Old 12 November 2012, 11:56 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK then.

Newsnight don't name McAlpine.

Mr Messham is shown a picture of McAlpine by the Police who say it's McAlpine, but it's a mistake.

Internet/social media spread the rumour that McAlpine is a deviant peado.

Philip Scofield show's the PM a list of names from the internet/social media sites, the PM then say's it's a gay witch hunt (how does he know there are gay people on the list?).

BUT the DG of the BBC get hung out to dry!

Old 12 November 2012, 12:06 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
OK then.

Newsnight don't name McAlpine.

Mr Messham is shown a picture of McAlpine by the Police who say it's McAlpine, but it's a mistake.

Internet/social media spread the rumour that McAlpine is a deviant peado.

Philip Scofield show's the PM a list of names from the internet/social media sites, the PM then say's it's a gay witch hunt (how does he know there are gay people on the list?).

BUT the DG of the BBC get hung out to dry!

Would you feel the same way if the Newsnight team put it about that they were going to name you?
Old 12 November 2012, 12:06 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
About time we got rid of the BBQ and they became commercial like itv and sky channels
So that we can get more programmes and sports interrupted by adverts? No thanks!
Old 12 November 2012, 12:18 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Newsnight did not name McAlpine!
Old 12 November 2012, 12:49 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Newsnight did not name McAlpine!
They put it about that they were going to name a prominent Tory as a paedophile.
This person, (apparently unlike their former employee of long standing, Mr Savile) was innocent.
They started a witch hunt that had no standing and just let everyone fill in the dots.
WTF were they thinking?
I would have more respect for them if they had named him.
Old 12 November 2012, 02:07 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

There are people on SN naming name's who they think is a "Saville" associate peado. Will they be tracked down and prosecuted?

Mr Messham named names due to a police error, is the Chief Constable of North Wales Police being sacked?

I am going to **** Cameron Diaz!

Does not mean to say I will but it is attention grabbing.
Old 12 November 2012, 02:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't think why they should want to pay him £450K for 2 months in the job!

Les