Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CV - Criminal record?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2012, 10:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV - Criminal record?

Scenario. 25 year old male who I know quite well looking for a job. Personable bright guy but zero qualifications. 2 years ago he had a bad you'll-never-walk-again car accident and his best friend was killed. 3 month prison sentence and 3 year ban (no alcohol involved).

But he is up and about but with some restrictions on his abilities. Currently working in pub where he is well liked. Wanted to join army but his injuries prevented this.

Question 1. Should he put down his criminal history on CV?

Question 2. Should he mention his injuries which may restrict his work?

david
Old 07 October 2012, 10:37 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

i think legally if hes asked he must disclose all/any past charges - the company may run a disclosure check on him anyway - and if he lies its doubtful he will get employed.

if it was me id disclose all(as i have no offences) - but some may play it by ear, if its a small company and the role is within his capabilities then he may actually be the right person for the job - inspite of any past events - but that imo should be assessed on individual merits - not just a blanket policy tbh.
Old 07 October 2012, 10:38 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Scenario. 25 year old male who I know quite well looking for a job. Personable bright guy but zero qualifications. 2 years ago he had a bad you'll-never-walk-again car accident and his best friend was killed. 3 month prison sentence and 3 year ban (no alcohol involved).

But he is up and about but with some restrictions on his abilities. Currently working in pub where he is well liked. Wanted to join army but his injuries prevented this.

david
If its a case of not asked then don't say

But to be fair to the potential employer , yes you should tell them because it could have implications down the line
And if he gets a job it will always be at the back of his mind that it might come to light
Old 07 October 2012, 10:59 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

He should not be discriminated against because of his disabilities no, however it is down to the line of work the young chap would be applying for, for instance i run domiciliary care homes so restrictive movement may be a bit of an issue working with mental health but we still have a legal right to equal opportunities.

With regards to criminal records on your cv, no you dont have to disclose it on your cv, but would need to be made aware during the interview process as if it was not made aware and we applied for the crb check and it came back with a conviction then its at our discretion if we hire them or not, but 9/10 they wont get another chance as they could not be truthful during interview how could we trust them working with people with learning disabilities and mental health etc who are vulnerable, dont get me wong some people genuinely do forget some convictions from when they were young and would depend what came back. Also if someone does state they have a conviction on their cv it can sometimes lead to an employer not even giving them a chance to get through the door, however when at interview they may come across as someone totally different to what invisioned as to what is stated on the cv if that makes sense but if asked on an a application form then it should be completed according to current circumstances

What ever job he applies for he should still get the same chance of employment as the guy next to him with the equal rights and opportunities these days, technically more people than not have something lurking in their past somewhere with speeding fines or parking fines etc, technically still broken the law
Old 07 October 2012, 11:35 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

1. No! Certainly not on a CV anyway. If asked, then fair enough but not on a CV.

2. If he thinks his injuries might affect his ability to do the job, then leave this for the interview.

If he put both things on his CV, he may never get a job.
Old 08 October 2012, 04:37 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Of course he shouldnt put it on his CV. If he is asked directly, either on an application form or during an interview, then he has to answer honestly, until the conviction becomes legally spent, after which the honest answer is 'no'.

CRB checks can only be requested for prescribed occupations. The CRB Scotland or whatever it is called check is nothing more than a Subject Access disclosure, and it will only show convictions which havent yet become spent.
Old 08 October 2012, 09:01 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Q1) Nope.

Q2) Depends how bad it is, IMHO. If he is working in a pub - which can be quite physical - then I would say he can do most jobs. If he has specific issues I would mention those at interview rather than CV. If he is in a wheelchair I would put it on the CV. If he is 95% able then I would say dont mention it.
Old 08 October 2012, 09:06 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above, those sorts of background checks are normally done after the person has been deemed worthy/able to do the job.
Old 08 October 2012, 09:35 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

I don't have a criminal record but I have been to court 3 times with alleged GBH cases against me and even though I got away with it each time my current employer still found out about them.
I didn't mention them upon applying for the job as I was never charged so didn't feel it necessary that they knew. Also as the role I was applying for at the time was for an Engineer I didn't really think there was any specific need for them to know.
When they asked me about it though I told them and it didn't seem to effect my chances of getting the job as I've worked her 6.5yrs now!

Your mates conviction isn't really something that should get in the way of future employment unless its a driving job then it may possibly slow the process down. Disability wise, it shouldn't effect it at all unless he's applying for a physically demanding job as someone mentioned above.
Old 08 October 2012, 11:23 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oliVeR6
I don't have a criminal record but I have been to court 3 times with alleged GBH cases against me and even though I got away with it each time my current employer still found out about them.
Is that an admission of guilt? You "got away with it" or do you mean that you were found "not guilty"?
Old 08 October 2012, 11:27 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Is that an admission of guilt? You "got away with it" or do you mean that you were found "not guilty"?
Sorry should have been a little clearly. Found not guilty as was deemed self defence...
Old 08 October 2012, 11:28 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - I agree with sentiment above. In fact in the current job climate, especially here in the SW, I think his job prospects are pretty grim.

So we'll keep the conviction out of it unless asked but of course many employers ask for this on on-line applications (I think).

As for physical abilities he could do most things and says he wants to "test" them. I think this is taking it too far as he is full of plates and pins and might damage himself if he over does it.

And he is still off the road and insurance will be a nightmare after a 3 year ban.

Funnily enough the local authority have a rule that anyone with a disability has to be given an interview so that could help.

I think his best hope is a small local company who want a general yardman or similar. Or stay in the pub trade.

Thanks all, David