Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Should the death penalty be re-instated?
Yes
61.11%
No
38.89%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Death Penalty?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2012, 02:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Death Penalty?

We have today seen that the person (I shall not call him a man) held in Wales has now been charged with the murder of April Jones.

Last week we saw two young Policewomen murdered by an animal .... not a man, an animal.

If there is absolutely no doubt who is responsible for crimes, such as these, then should we take an 'eye for an eye' and dispatch via hanging, or lethal injection?

I very much doubt that it will mean these crimes do not happen - but, more, that these people are not kept in relative luxury, at our expense, in a hospital or a prison.

I say they should be removed from society, permanently.
Old 05 October 2012, 02:47 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Here here!
Old 05 October 2012, 03:08 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without wishing to sound like a dick, why compare him to an animal? I often think animals act a lot nicer than humans, so don't see the insult. If more people acted like dogs, for example, we'd be a lot better off!

But yes, I'd kill both of the people you're talking about. I personally think the parents should be given the option to do it themselves too.
Old 05 October 2012, 03:14 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

I like being able to say I come from a relatively civilized country which means not having the death penalty. I would much prefer to have more harsh prisons (I'm thinking 'the Ice-covered prison planet in Star Trek' harsh)
Old 05 October 2012, 03:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Death penalty

Too good for you Pete
Old 05 October 2012, 03:43 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I do believe that the return of capital punishment is long overdue for appropriate cases where there is no doubt of guilt, i.e. in cases like the murdered WPCs.

As tragic as the loss of yet another young child is, unless there is incontrovertible proof of the suspect's guilt then the death penalty could not, in my view, be applied.

I agree with PSL, why should we keep these sum alive at our expense? It's not a case of revenge (eye for an eye) though.
Merely plain and simple justice.
Old 05 October 2012, 04:03 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
I do believe that the return of capital punishment is long overdue for appropriate cases where there is no doubt of guilt, i.e. in cases like the murdered WPCs.

As tragic as the loss of yet another young child is, unless there is incontrovertible proof of the suspect's guilt then the death penalty could not, in my view, be applied.

I agree with PSL, why should we keep these sum alive at our expense? It's not a case of revenge (eye for an eye) though.
Merely plain and simple justice.
There is no justice in killing, none at all
Old 05 October 2012, 04:08 PM
madman-Adam
Scooby Newbie

Make prisons more like those in Mexico, Brazil and the like. Instead of holiday camps which can only be compared to the likes of centre Parcs.
Old 05 October 2012, 04:09 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Interesting article here where Tebbit says there are 150 victims of people locked up for murder then released to murder again. So thats 150 dead because of abolition of the dp. Of course we would have to leave the EU if we wanted to reintroduce it, as membership prevents its use. Win win really!
Old 05 October 2012, 04:22 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
We have today seen that the person (I shall not call him a man) held in Wales has now been charged with the murder of April Jones.

Last week we saw two young Policewomen murdered by an animal .... not a man, an animal.

If there is absolutely no doubt who is responsible for crimes, such as these, then should we take an 'eye for an eye' and dispatch via hanging, or lethal injection?

I very much doubt that it will mean these crimes do not happen - but, more, that these people are not kept in relative luxury, at our expense, in a hospital or a prison.

+1 providing they are 100% guilty. The Public needs protection from these scum.
Old 05 October 2012, 04:24 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Interesting article here where Tebbit says there are 150 victims of people locked up for murder then released to murder again. So thats 150 dead because of abolition of the dp. Of course we would have to leave the EU if we wanted to reintroduce it, as membership prevents its use. Win win really!
If they're in jail they cannot go on to kill again

The answer is therefore simple - lock murderers up for good

We could I suppose leave the EU and reinstate the DP, then maybe build a union with other DP countries like , Saudi, China, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan, a kind of coalition of the killers!

Last edited by Martin2005; 05 October 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05 October 2012, 04:33 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
There is no justice in killing, none at all
Where is the justice for the man kept behind bars for 20 years?
Or for the populace that have to pay to keep him there.
Or for the victims of the harm he may do upon his release, as has happened so many times. Wasn't the murderer of the WPCs a suspect (or even charged) with previous killings?

Is a lengthy prison sentence a more humane treatment than a quick death? Is placing a man in a cage really the best that a "civilised" and righteous society can come up with?
Old 05 October 2012, 04:34 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best post you have ever made PSL, for once I agree with you.
Old 05 October 2012, 04:39 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Good find, that article, well worth a read
Old 05 October 2012, 04:59 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Totally agree with you pissy, but with trial by jury, you will get some hand-wringing, lentil-eating, pansy like Martin who will not convict because they know that a guilty vertict will entail the death penalty.
Old 05 October 2012, 05:04 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Where is the justice for the man kept behind bars for 20 years?
Or for the populace that have to pay to keep him there.
Or for the victims of the harm he may do upon his release, as has happened so many times. Wasn't the murderer of the WPCs a suspect (or even charged) with previous killings?

Is a lengthy prison sentence a more humane treatment than a quick death? Is placing a man in a cage really the best that a "civilised" and righteous society can come up with?
Yes, as the only other option is killing them. And killing is morally wrong, whether done by an individual or by the state. Life seems cheap enough sometimes, without the state cheapening it further!

I remember trying to explain to my son (when he was about 6 years old) why they had executed Saddam Hussein. His bewilderment was telling when I had to explain ‘that he was being killed for killing people’. When you think about it, it’s an utterly absurd position, let alone for a civilised society to get into. Which btw is why you won’t find many democratic and civilised societies ever going back to it?

For me this isn't a leftist view, it’s a question of morality, plain and simple.

It’s actually one of the few issues I see as black and white, rather than grey.
Old 05 October 2012, 05:05 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Totally agree with you pissy, but with trial by jury, you will get some hand-wringing, lentil-eating, pansy like Martin who will not convict because they know that a guilty vertict will entail the death penalty.
What a muppet
Old 05 October 2012, 05:09 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Countries with Capital punishment...

Afghanistan
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belize
Botswana
Chad
China (People's Republic)
Comoros
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Cuba
Dominica
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Ethiopia
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Lesotho
Libya
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nigeria
North Korea
Oman
Pakistan
Palestinian Authority
Qatar
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Somalia
Sudan
Syria
Taiwan
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Yemen
Zimbabwe

Seems like a nice club to join
Old 05 October 2012, 05:11 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

I think it's an easy way out Pete, the victims have to spend a life dealing with the trauma,where the criminal would be out of his misery, in my eyes they need to suffer for life and kept alive as long as possible! ie chop off both hands,castration then locked in a cold dark room, with recorded messages from the victims family playing in the cell all day..

Now that's my kind of punishment!
Old 05 October 2012, 05:28 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

So you've shot one police officer dead and you know you face the death penalty. What is your incentive to not shoot any more?

You have kidnapped two small children and one has died, you face the death penalty. What is your incentive to care for the other?

You have killed a pedestrian while driving, you might face the death penalty, what is your incentive to confess?
Old 05 October 2012, 05:35 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Won't happen though will it,this country as gone too far down the political correct road.
You'll have the namby pamby lot out in masses on the streets protesting at bringing back such a punishment,human rights etc.Well what about the human rights of a five year old girl just out playing with a few mates,who could now possibly be no longer alive.
Old 05 October 2012, 05:37 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

It’s actually one of the few issues I see as black and white, rather than grey.
Yep, me too
Old 05 October 2012, 05:37 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specialx
I think it's an easy way out Pete, the victims have to spend a life dealing with the trauma,where the criminal would be out of his misery, in my eyes they need to suffer for life and kept alive as long as possible! ie chop off both hands,castration then locked in a cold dark room, with recorded messages from the victims family playing in the cell all day..

Now that's my kind of punishment!
Never in a million years could i ever see that happening either....
Old 05 October 2012, 05:38 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
You have killed a pedestrian while driving, you might face the death penalty, what is your incentive to confess?
An unlikely scenario unless it was intentional i.e. murder rather than manslaughter.
Old 05 October 2012, 05:40 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Countries with Capital punishment...

Afghanistan
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belize
Botswana
Chad
China (People's Republic)
Comoros
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Cuba
Dominica
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Ethiopia
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Lesotho
Libya
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nigeria
North Korea
Oman
Pakistan
Palestinian Authority
Qatar
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Somalia
Sudan
Syria
Taiwan
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Yemen
Zimbabwe

Seems like a nice club to join
Perhaps we should just stop flying in the face of popular opinion
Old 05 October 2012, 05:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd like to say I agree with bringing back the death penalty for some crimes, but, unfortunately, whilst the CPS and especially the police are bout as trustworthy as an untrustworthy person living in Untrustworthyville, I'm afraid it HAS to be a non-starter.
Old 05 October 2012, 05:42 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I'd like to say I agree with bringing back the death penalty for some crimes, but, unfortunately, whilst the CPS and especially the police are bout as trustworthy as an untrustworthy person living in Untrustworthyville, I'm afraid it HAS to be a non-starter.
However strong my feelings on the matter might be, you do have a point unfortunately.
Old 05 October 2012, 05:49 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed with the above, you can't be sure as people will always lie.

PS you say like the guy whos been arrested for little girls murder, they don't have a body, he's been arrested to keep him in for questioning.
BUT you say you are certain ?
Old 05 October 2012, 06:13 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

In the case of the low life in Wales torture the sick b**tard then hang him...
Once found guilty of course.

Nik
Old 05 October 2012, 06:43 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I don't agree with the death penalty. It does not deter crime, nor do harsh prison sentences. We only have to look at the United States as an example of this. They have the highest prison population per capita in the world, and kill their criminals too.

I'm sorry if I sound like a liberal, but crime must be tackled at grass roots level. A high percentage of young people in prison come from low economic backgrounds and if you have been in care, the statistics rocket. Perhaps we could help and adopt a child each who otherwise would grow up in these environments, give them some hope and aspirations, instead of punishing them when they do wrong. Don't allow people who cannot look after their kids properly to keep them, give adopters proper incentives to give them a better life.

There is no magic wand which will stop bad things happening, so we have to live with that. Killing people who do abhorrent deeds may make some of you feel justice has been done, but not for me. It is an easy way out for them and I would not feel comfortable living in a country which did it.

Quick Reply: Death Penalty?