Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Apple Tv

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2012, 12:51 PM
'7'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple Tv

Had a quick look at this yesterday.seems quite nifty but is it worthwhile or a bit of a gimmick?

Amazon are selling them for about £75
Old 01 September 2012, 01:28 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I have a few friends that have them, one mate in particular is an Apple fanboy who raves on about them but the rest are pretty neutral on this Apple vs. Everything game but all say it's a great piece of kit.

I plan on having one or two in my house, with all my DVDs going onto a home server and linked through iTunes so I can play anything I have at any time without having stacks of DVDs on show.
Old 01 September 2012, 01:31 PM
'7'
Scooby Regular

It feels a bit like paying £80 to make the iPad do what my blackberry playbook does for free.

BUT it does look quite handy.
Old 01 September 2012, 01:34 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

It's not just so your iPad can control your TV.

It's a WiFi streaming device that means you can watch or listen to whatever is in your iTunes library on your TV.
Old 01 September 2012, 03:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've got a 1st gen and 3rd gen ATV (current black one)
1st gen is patched so it'll run XBMC (among other things), which means I don't need to convert all my movies to m4v format, nor do I need to add them to iTunes. It won't handle 1080p though.

The 3rd gen isn't bad, however, there isn't a patch / jailbreak for it (yet) and so I have to use m4v files with it. This would mean I'd need to re-encode or re-rip existing movies, which isn't worth the bother to me. It will do 1080p though, so that's nice.

If you have an iPad and iPhone you can AirPlay to it, which is interesting. If you have a 2011 or later iMac (not sure about the laptops) and mountain lion then you can, I believe, stream your screen from there to the ATV.

The current device is a good little box, but like the iOS devices, it is a bit locked down for some of the reasons mentioned above. IF you purchase all your content via iTunes, then it's fine, if you have avi, mkv files and such like, you'd have to convert them, or somehow live transcode them to get them to play.
Old 01 September 2012, 03:32 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

In the interests of impartiality, I will point out that other brands of streaming-TV-box-type-things are available

Mostly if not entirely Android-powered, as you might guess, and with a range of specs and for a range of budgets, from most of the major online computer equipment suppliers, and also Ebay, Amazon, direct-buy from China, etc.
Old 01 September 2012, 05:57 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Apple tv isn't a great media player
Old 01 September 2012, 06:08 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

There are much better ways to do things, ATV is complete garbage and i can't stress that enough.

Go on AV forums
Old 01 September 2012, 06:52 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
There are much better ways to do things, ATV is complete garbage and i can't stress that enough.

Go on AV forums
I've heard about the regular posters on AVForums many times, nothing is ever good enough for them no matter what it does, I've been told this so many times that my tech friends won't even look at the forum anymore, so I'd tend to make my own opinions on something.

For me no matter which way I do it I have a shed load of uploading to do with over 500 DVDs (genuine & purchased!) to put onto a hard drive but what the ATV has it's easy enough to use. I have seen the other non Apple version and they do look very tempting as they're only half the price but they are also filled with crap that I wouldn't want ie. having games on them.

The other thing is compatibility - for ATV all you need is itunes, I can't find any information as to what other software, or hardware, would be needed to connect a non Apple version to my TV and considering I plan on connecting one to each TV in the house, it could be a costly mistake to make.

Just to be clear, I'm not an Apple fan boy at all, but what I do like are things that just work as they should.

Last edited by BULLITT; 01 September 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01 September 2012, 08:34 PM
'7'
Scooby Regular

There are much better ways to do things,
Such as?
Old 01 September 2012, 08:34 PM
'7'
Scooby Regular

Go on AV forums
Even more opinionated arseholes than this place
Old 01 September 2012, 08:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

iPad and iPhone mirroring is excellent.
Old 01 September 2012, 09:19 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I have an Apple TV (version 2) and quite like it, but only because it is Jailbroken. This way I can play content from a network connected storage device.

Without a jailbreak, you have to have a computer switched on, your movies accessible via iTunes (i.e MKV) and switch on home sharing. Too painful for me.
Old 01 September 2012, 10:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

A co worker has an Asus oplay which he rates quite highly. Seems to handle everything he can throw at it. It could be worth a look
Old 01 September 2012, 10:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I have an Apple TV (version 2) and quite like it, but only because it is Jailbroken. This way I can play content from a network connected storage device.

Without a jailbreak, you have to have a computer switched on, your movies accessible via iTunes (i.e MKV) and switch on home sharing. Too painful for me.

I think you either meant to say "ie m4v / m4p" or "ie not MKV" as alas atv does not handle MKV only m4v/p
Old 01 September 2012, 11:33 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Now ive pissed about with all media streamers and heres my conclusion.

The apple tv 3 is very good, IF you have netflix as the quality is fantastic 1080p and also if your media library on itunes is fat, i myself have itunes match, so all my somgs are on it, as well as my kids peppa pig etc, airplay from my pad phone etc works flawlessly, i have to admit apple have a good thing here, you can run some software on your pc which will then stream to your apple tv, as its really a bit limited to what it can see, but for 80 quid id buy one,

So on to the main event, ive used everything from tvercity,twonky plex xbmc and i still think Boxee is the daddy by a long way

You have 2 options a boxee box from play for 125 quid and this will play everything and give cover art to,boot, or iomega tv which ive got its as good as and has inbuilt hdisk, but its antad slow in operation due to the crap atom inside. But it plays flawlessly from anything on my network as local.

Now ive just built another media pc, using the asus totally silent passive mainboard and 8 gig ram, and windows 8 i tried again with plex xbmx, but in the end sacked them all and popped on boxee 1.5 everything worked.

What i will say though plex looks more pleaseing to the. Eye on the ipad but streaming isnt great i still use airplayer for that.

Just some advice anyway, if your a man with xvids mkv and other formats get the boxee.

Ted
Old 01 September 2012, 11:37 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by boxst

If all your looking for is something to stream your movie collection from a hard drive then you pretty much have to Jailbreak. I rent the odd movie and play stuff from my iPad/iPhone. Vimeo has great documentaries and Youtube is pretty good. iCloud streaming of purchased media works well. Games can be astonishing.
Old 01 September 2012, 11:44 PM
'7'
Scooby Regular

If it plays on "air video" then I can just mirror the iPad can't I?
Old 02 September 2012, 07:39 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't get the atv type devices. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't store/play lossless music files or films in hi def with modern hi def sound codecs.

So they don't stream music of CD quality or films of BD quality, so how is this progress to choose convenience over quality?

I keep hearing people say 'I've got 4000 albums at my fingertips and 500 films'

Really? Are there 4000 albums out there that are actually worth listening to? Not imho. I'd rather have 100 fantastic albums in a top quality media (ie CD, vinyl or lossless file)

It's a shame people don't invest a few more quid in getting better quality sound systems than giving endless amounts of money to itunes for crappy compressed music

imho of course
Old 02 September 2012, 08:39 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by '7'
If it plays on "air video" then I can just mirror the iPad can't I?
Yes

Dingdonger your right in a way, i myself not being a megga fan, just threw one in my basket at pcworld, and being a netflix subscriber i was pleasently surprised at how smooth the operation was, ipad esk, and my 4 year old found it easy to use.

The music isnt audiophile quaility but 48hz so unless your throwing it into some meridian amp, them my yamaha sounds nearly as good as lossless, but then i didnt buy it for that i just wanted the freedom of being able to pass the box around and the kids have a ready made movie lib and music in their rooms.

If you want the same features but streaming then look at the Roku Xs seems like a good unit
Old 02 September 2012, 10:12 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What amazes/surprises me is how anyone has time to listen to their thousand hours worth of stored films/music

I mean you'd rarely transcend the threshold your front door
Old 02 September 2012, 11:21 AM
'7'
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys. Some food for thought
Old 02 September 2012, 11:22 AM
'7'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
iPad and iPhone mirroring is excellent.
I feel strangely disconcerted that you, of all people, can only muster 6 words in support Jack
Old 02 September 2012, 12:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by '7'
I feel strangely disconcerted that you, of all people, can only muster 6 words in support Jack
I could go on but it's idiot season on here, anything positive I say about Apple the idiots just have to try to prove me wrong, don't want them putting you off a nice piece of kit.
Old 02 September 2012, 05:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I wish my MacBook had mirroring

Click image for larger version

Name:	TNq3k.png
Views:	0
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	74774
Old 03 September 2012, 02:13 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Unlucky!
Old 04 September 2012, 06:31 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

For the people with a version 1 and trouble with 1080p try a crystalHD. It will however replace the wireless card. BUT if like me, you have it networked then that's not an issue.
Old 04 September 2012, 06:42 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure why some of you are even using a £80 streaming device in the same 'techno bracket' as £100's of pounds with of amp quality.

My only grip with my ATV is that the whole ice films has never been the same and I'm back to good old downloading and streaming from the hard drive. Thats not really anything to do with the box at all though. Not a massive issue and I have found a few other movie sources.
Also there is a music jukebox chanel which has never failed to find any song I have ever searched for!
Old 06 September 2012, 05:03 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
I'm not sure why some of you are even using a £80 streaming device in the same 'techno bracket' as £100's of pounds with of amp quality.

My only grip with my ATV is that the whole ice films has never been the same and I'm back to good old downloading and streaming from the hard drive. Thats not really anything to do with the box at all though. Not a massive issue and I have found a few other movie sources.
Also there is a music jukebox chanel which has never failed to find any song I have ever searched for!
One word. AirPlay.
Old 11 September 2012, 02:15 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
One word. AirPlay.