Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

E-bay scam?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2012, 08:49 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-bay scam?

I hate Ebay, don't know why I bother to even sell anything on there anymore.

Anyhow, we had a clear out recently and sold lots of old childrens clothes in the last few weeks. Everything sold and was promptly dispatched, we kept receipts of all postage.

I received a message today from one of the buyers, judging by the wording they're obviously not English but they're saying the items hadn't arrived, we're only talking item value of £4.75 + £4.50 postage but I'm fairly sure they're trying it on. We posted 11 other parcels which all arrived okay.

I still have the receipt from the Post Office showing that the parcel was sent by Royal Mail 2nd Class and I've offered to scan it and mail it to them.

If they persist that the item didn't arrive I can't see what else I can do, they paid by PayPal and Ebay normally sides with the buyer so I'm pretty sure I'll have to refund the whole amount, I know it's less than £10 but it gets my back up nonetheless.

Any tips on what I can do?
Old 31 August 2012, 09:08 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Always send eBay stuff recorded
Old 31 August 2012, 09:32 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

We do normally but for something of such little value it's not worth it, also when we listed it Ebay would only allow maximum postage of £4.75
Old 31 August 2012, 11:08 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can claim of the post office if needed, but yes I agree it stinks of a scam.
Old 31 August 2012, 11:08 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Should be able to make a claim with the post office:

http://www.royalmail.com/customer-se...pensation-lost
Old 31 August 2012, 12:13 PM
scoobydog63
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing but it was for an item with value of £50. I said I would check with the post office and later said the post office were going to investigate it as the item should have been delivered. Funnily enough an hour later they had received it!!!
Old 31 August 2012, 01:09 PM
AdeWRX
Scooby Regular

Sounds like hes trying it on mate, stuff like this boils my ****. Unfortunately yes eBay and paypal tend to side with the buyer most of the time, so it looks like you might be an Ayrton Senna out of pocket, although you should be able to raise an issue with the post office.
Same thing has happened to me a couple of times, so now i ALWAYS send stuff i sell on there by recorded delivery so there is a signature of receipt, then neither eBay or Paypal can side with the buyer and leave you out of pocket.
Old 31 August 2012, 01:25 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys!!

Yep boils my **** too at the thought of someone trying to diddle me, even if it is only a tenner!!

I'm going to scan the receipt and mail itto the buyer tonight and advise them that Royal Mail are investigating, hopefully if it is a scam this will put them off!!
Old 31 August 2012, 01:47 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

As you have proof of sending this as well as stating on your ad it would be sent via 2nd class , paypal should stick with you as you have proof of the item being sent. The buyer agreed to have the item sent via 2nd class when they won the auction. Report them to ebay tho
Old 31 August 2012, 02:41 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

It is for this reason I only sell with local collection and cash on collection now as ebay/paypal has turned into the biggest scam going and boils my p!ss too.
Old 31 August 2012, 03:19 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Thing is things DO going missing and sending recorded doesn't mean it's tracked....it's only if the recipient GETS the item and you need to hope the postie gets the person to sign for it.....sometimes they don't.
Old 31 August 2012, 07:00 PM
keljon
Scooby Regular

Always send recorded, it's the only way, I have been stung before and know the system well, 2nd class recorded is prob an extra 50p and means paypal won't side with the buyer if you can prove you sent it
Old 01 September 2012, 11:18 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bean1984
As you have proof of sending this as well as stating on your ad it would be sent via 2nd class , paypal should stick with you as you have proof of the item being sent. The buyer agreed to have the item sent via 2nd class when they won the auction. Report them to ebay tho
proof of sending, does not mean proof of delivery. it means nothing and will not cover you

Originally Posted by keljon
Always send recorded, it's the only way, I have been stung before and know the system well, 2nd class recorded is prob an extra 50p and means paypal won't side with the buyer if you can prove you sent it
recorded is a waste of time and its costs an extra 95p! items are not tracked and often they will be delivered without a signature as the postman just pops it through the letterbox

a good option is collect+ costs about £4.00 and is tracked so at least you stand a chance, contrary to what people normally state very little post goes missing
Old 01 September 2012, 05:52 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I sold something on Ebay which was described as used so may not be in prestine condition and included six photo's from all angles. The buyer complained he wasn't happy with the condition but admitted it functioned. I offered a full refund and the buyer didn't send it back. Ebay sided with the buyer for some reason but allowed me to keep the full amount and repeatedly said I couldn't receive good feedback as I had done what was asked.
The buyer left me bad feedback, i can't leave the same for him and since Ebay have ignored my emails even though what they had said was at the bottom of the reply.

Ebay are pro buyer, **** sellers.
Old 02 September 2012, 12:18 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Ebay and paypal are far to easy to exploit. A quick search leads to sellers selling electrical goods for worth a few £100s. Buy it, receive it, claim it want working, send back rocks to the same weight and force a refund. Its been done and there is nothing the seller can do. Its an absolute farce and the reason I only send items of £100+ when I receive a bank transfer.
Old 02 September 2012, 11:56 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I've mailed them a scanned image of the postage receipt and told them the Post Office have said they will investigate if it still hasn't arrived.

£10 says I never hear from them again!!
Old 02 September 2012, 12:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drb5
Thing is things DO going missing and sending recorded doesn't mean it's tracked....it's only if the recipient GETS the item and you need to hope the postie gets the person to sign for it.....sometimes they don't.
Yes, nothing particular to ebay in the end

There's the reverse of course, mate had work stuff delivered by courier who didn't bother to get a sig, so the dodgy get said it never arrived and got a load free

I'm still amazed at this stroke of dishonesty really,
Old 02 September 2012, 01:01 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You have their address, so just send them a warming gift until the other issues is resolved

This thing happens to me often, don't forget RM have/are renowned for theft within their business, proved by watchdog insiders!

Live and learn I say

Rob
Old 10 September 2012, 11:27 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

As expected I've not heard anything back from them.

Either it's arrived and they can't be bothered to let me know or after seeing the receipt they decided to quit the scam!!
Old 10 September 2012, 11:38 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
We do normally but for something of such little value it's not worth it, also when we listed it Ebay would only allow maximum postage of £4.75
It is worth it, mate. I`ve got a few things on at the mo and I just sold an item of clothing for a fiver. I stated £4.75 delivery (eBays max amount allowed), sent it recorded for £3.10 My **** is covered.
Old 10 September 2012, 11:42 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
It is for this reason I only sell with local collection and cash on collection now as ebay/paypal has turned into the biggest scam going and boils my p!ss too.
The problem with that is you seriously limit your `sale area`, if you get me. More chance getting rid of stuff if you`re willing to post, but, I understand people being dubious to do so.
Old 10 September 2012, 12:13 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
The problem with that is you seriously limit your `sale area`, if you get me. More chance getting rid of stuff if you`re willing to post, but, I understand people being dubious to do so.
Oh I know and that's the downside but no way am I posting an expensive laptop etc only to be scammed.
Old 10 September 2012, 01:07 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Oh I know and that's the downside but no way am I posting an expensive laptop etc only to be scammed.
Fair point if it`s a laptop