Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scooter riders

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2012, 08:01 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scooter riders

I was out the other night with a group which contained both motorcyclists and scooter riders (scooterists??). They ended up in a big row. The basic gist of which was that scooter riders weren't proper bikers and were basically t##ts who were a bit bent.

It got quite heated and I was surprised. The motorcycle group particularly hated the fashionista types who ride retro/italian scooters. I honestly thought there would be more camaraderie than that. Is this biker hate for 'scooterists' real? We must have a few from each group on here.
Old 19 August 2012, 08:18 AM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO its like everything else mate.
There's always total difference of opinions, like on here everything can turn into a mass debate over nothing and get heated out of proportion.

I've ridden with scooters before, some are pretty quick so can't see the problem.

If anything I would say IMO that scooters are more hardened than the bikers as they tend to ride in any weather, hell, I've seen them in the snow

whilst I have ridden in poor weather I don't now 1 because my bikes mint, and 2 that's what I have the Scoob for
Old 19 August 2012, 08:40 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Its been that way for years between bikers and scooter/vespa riders.Years ago back in the 70's/80's or around that decade my cousin and his brother were in a bike club called the Hells Angels,and even back then he said trouble would break out between bikers and scooters,think he said he got into a fight on a pub car park in Coventry when some scooter lads turned up.Or i might be getting confused with another story,as he said a shotgun was involved and he had a bike chain,anyhow it was a pub in Coventry.
Old 19 August 2012, 08:42 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Or is it because the majority of scooter riders are youngsters (under 18) certainly are where I live, and drive / ride like absolute idiots, v close to rear of car then swerve out to overtake etc and the bikers tend to be older and generally better more responsible riders?

Richard
Old 19 August 2012, 09:14 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

scooters are ghey end off. if you wan't to ride a bike get a proper motorcycle.

Old 19 August 2012, 09:15 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's like the difference between the Men who drive STI's, the boys who have the WRX's and the puffs who have the non turbos

Brun - runs for cover zipping up flame suit on the way

Last edited by Brun; 19 August 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 19 August 2012, 09:17 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

hey!!! you wanna step outside and say that
Old 19 August 2012, 09:20 AM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
It's like the difference between the Men who drive STI's, the boys who have the WRX's and the puffs who have the non turbos

Old 19 August 2012, 09:26 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I remember a couple years back i was at my mates garage having my cambelt changed on the scoob.These two young lads turn up in a wrx,walks into the garage and my mate said what can i do for you lads.The one lad said i've bought the wrx and want to know how i can make it go faster.My mate walks outside takes a quick glance at the car walks back inside,then says to the lads sell it and buy an STI.I pmsl
Old 19 August 2012, 10:28 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

People dressed up like mods on scooters look like compete tossers.
Old 19 August 2012, 11:18 AM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Is that pic you on your actual bike bigsinky? Pretty cool ride, the Victory Hammer.

Old 19 August 2012, 12:24 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
scooters are ghey end off. if you wan't to ride a bike get a proper motorcycle.

This. I neither want to ride some 50cc lawnmower looking "a bit bent" to quote above, nor do I want to look like some 'roid-rage' Power Ranger on a Ducawasaki dressed in skin tight leathers on a hot day.

I'd want a bike like the above which gurgles along to a lovely soundtrack (if I even liked bikes - which I don't).
Old 19 August 2012, 04:58 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alg
Is that pic you on your actual bike bigsinky? Pretty cool ride, the Victory Hammer.

lololol nice use of the BLOAT feature, just like bigsinky that
Old 19 August 2012, 10:13 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Jeez, Am I the only one which thinks Lambrettas are cool?
Old 20 August 2012, 09:26 AM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Jeez, Am I the only one which thinks Lambrettas are cool?
No, I like them

Just wouldn't own one
Old 20 August 2012, 01:02 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

It was ever thus wikipedia. You were either in the bike camp or the scooter camp. (Or a trainee on a moped.) These days there are machines that are crossover moped / bike hybrids blurring the boundaries.
Old 20 August 2012, 01:05 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I can't stand scooter riders.
Noisey little ****ers and they only do 30mph.

There seems to be a group of them around near where I live and they are so loud, I can't hear my tv over them.

One recently was going back and forth for 10 minutes, so I stood outside and took a picture. The rider stopped a few yards passed me so I approached him.
I asked him what the f&ck was the point of going up and down a residential street and 9pm, waking our baby up and pissing me off?
He then came out with some bull**** about why he had to ride at full throttle when the engine was cold. I then told him that if i saw him again, I would report him the police for anti-social behavior.

That was a month ago and I haven't heard or seen him since.
Old 20 August 2012, 01:19 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
I can't stand scooter riders.
Noisey little ****ers and they only do 30mph.

There seems to be a group of them around near where I live and they are so loud, I can't hear my tv over them.

One recently was going back and forth for 10 minutes, so I stood outside and took a picture. The rider stopped a few yards passed me so I approached him.
I asked him what the f&ck was the point of going up and down a residential street and 9pm, waking our baby up and pissing me off?
He then came out with some bull**** about why he had to ride at full throttle when the engine was cold. I then told him that if i saw him again, I would report him the police for anti-social behavior.

That was a month ago and I haven't heard or seen him since.
Maybe he' gone on holiday,but them scooters are bloody annoying,we have quad bikes around here,seems some of the younger guys have cottoned on to something and use them to ride to work etc makes a change from scooters i suppose...
Old 20 August 2012, 01:28 PM
icbm
Scooby Regular

I don't mind scooters. I just hate the stupid scooter kids that ride around like idiots in nothing more than shorts and t-shirts sitting in a legs up wannabe-sportsbike position!

I pass a girl riding a little scooter to work everyday whatever the weather, properley dressed. Now that gets my respect! Normally bikers don't nod to scooters but I acknowledged sensible ones!
Old 20 August 2012, 01:30 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

so what does that make wagon owners?
Old 20 August 2012, 01:43 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Some one in the housing estate round the back of mine used to have one. They started work about 5am on a morning.

The road leading down to the estate is quite long and for 5 minutes all you could hear was NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRR NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRR!!!.

I remember years ago I was out in my mates 5 turbo, some kid pulled beside us at some traffic lights on a scooter revving the **** off it. Me m8 dipped his accelerator and his dump valve went off, The scooter rider **** him self and fell off. I still vividly remember him falling sideways in slow motion not being able to do anything about it.

A few lads at college at them, some of the modifications they made were mental. Adding cigarette lighters and wiring car stereos with speakers under the seats.

Added different colored bulbs and wrapping the lights in pairs of tights. I remember one lad vac formed a spoiler and bits of body kit which he added.

He had it chained to the college security guards hut. A car drove in cut the chain with a pair of bolt cutters, put it in the boot and drove off.

We found it for sale in bike trader a few weeks later, it was a pretty unique bike with the changes he made to it so even with new registration it was obviously his. The police wernt interested though.
Old 20 August 2012, 01:45 PM
icbm
Scooby Regular

Did he go and get it back? I would have!
Old 20 August 2012, 02:31 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Na

He rang the copper who originally dealt with it, he told him to take the details to the station. That was Northumbria police. They told him because it was for sale in Durham he had to contact Durham police.

Police advised him against taking the matter into his own hands, the person selling it might of been an innocent party just selling it.

He wasn't particularly bother tbh. By that time he had turned 17 and passed his driving test so just put the insurance money towards a car.
Old 20 August 2012, 02:33 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
Na

He rang the copper who originally dealt with it, he told him to take the details to the station. That was Northumbria police. They told him because it was for sale in Durham he had to contact Durham police.

Police advised him against taking the matter into his own hands, the person selling it might of been an innocent party just selling it.

He wasn't particularly bother tbh. By that time he had turned 17 and passed his driving test so just put the insurance money towards a car.
my understanding is once the insurance pay out on the bike/car if it is ever recovered it belongs to the insurance company.
Old 20 August 2012, 02:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Always used to be a war between Mods (scooter riders) and bikers.

I never understood just why and as a biker I bear no ill will towards scooter riders.

Les
Old 20 August 2012, 03:08 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

No-one likes scootays. Not even Sniff Petrol.

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 20 August 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 20 August 2012, 04:35 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

I was just about to comment on the above (well sort of).

I actually did my CBT a couple of weeks ago, and was told by the instructors a moped is anything below 50cc with a top speed of no more than 30mph....(they said they didnt actually need a speedo as it was incaperable of breaking the speedlimit) and nick named them chicken chasers

A scooter refered to a bike with foot panel between 50-125cc.

We have moped blasters near me sometimes and they sound terrible!
Scooters on the other hand can be very nippy and quiet
Good introductiion to a beginner wanting to progress onto a big bike after a few years developing their road skills and awareness (that'll be me then)
Old 20 August 2012, 04:55 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by richs2891
Or is it because the majority of scooter riders are youngsters (under 18) certainly are where I live, and drive / ride like absolute idiots, v close to rear of car then swerve out to overtake etc and the bikers tend to be older and generally better more responsible riders?

Richard
This.

I know I'm stereotyping but there are enough of the above for the stereotype to be utterly valid!

I hate these sorts. I guess they're 'only' keeping up the momentum. But they really take the **** the way they are determined (at all costs it seems!) to surgically attach their poxy glorified hairdryer to the rear bumper. It's sooo distractring - drives me nuts.

They look such knobbers too.

Last edited by joz8968; 20 August 2012 at 09:16 PM.