Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Exercise advice.

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2012, 10:35 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exercise advice.

Figured there must be a few people on here that do much working out, just after a bit of advice, should probably get to a gym to ask this stuff really. I started excercising properly at the start of the year, at 17.5stone, down to 14.5 now, long way to go yet. Only been exercising at home, now up to 40mins a night on a cross trainer, resistance set highish, followed by few reps with dumbells, 50 sit ups and 30 push ups.
I need to push a bit harder i think, and am wondering what i`m missing / doing wrong, maybe stretches? Any advice on what and how to do next would be appreciated.
Old 27 July 2012, 10:38 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

alot of it is diet mate. eating the right foods and most importantly the right times.
Old 27 July 2012, 11:03 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

get out running and fast walking.nothing better than it.any big hills near you go walking up them couple times a week.lucky down here as dartmoor right on my doorstep.also swimming is great as low impact on joints.
Old 27 July 2012, 11:42 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If weight loss is your goal then diet is number one...........

Shaun
Old 27 July 2012, 11:47 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Running works, also cycling and swimming. Key is to mix it up - if you do the same stuff all the time you'll see the rate of change slow down. Diet is also essential - primarily less in than you burn if you want to loose weight. Also lots of things like fresh pasta, brown rice/bread and plenty of veg/white meat but cut back on the fatty stuff like cheese, yogurts and milk etc opting for low fat alternatives
Old 27 July 2012, 11:58 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18985141

A little bit of proof that the way to control weight is by diet..

Shaun
Old 28 July 2012, 12:30 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Diet is a big part in it. I have done a fair bit in the direction of a 'lifestyle change'. I have cut out all extra salt/sugar in anything I eat or drink. Cut out all the chocolate, biscuites and crisps and instead replaced the sugary things with other foods high in energy and eat plenty of natural yoghurt.

Until 18 months ago I didn't eat any vegetables other than potato, but I have slowly introduced different vegetables month by month. This has in turn lowered my carb intake, as I have more than just spuds or pasta as a huge part of my meals.

As for exercise, I have been doing some stretches, 20 sit ups three times a day, and alternate squats and arm reps/stretches with 1kg weight. I do those usually while in the kitchen making tea.
I'm doing 'stair climing' which basically means I climb up and down the stairs until I'm ready to collapse.

I have also cut out all beer, cider and wine, instead drinking lots of water and the odd whiskey on a fri/sat and I really do mean just one, although it is a large one!

All of that, and sadly I haven't lost weight, but I have lost a few inches of body fat from various parts of my body (sadly my ***** also)!

The best part is knowing that I am a lot healthier than I was 12 months ago!
Old 29 July 2012, 07:42 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weight training doesn't lose weight it gains muscle and more weight. Weight control/loss is largely down to diet despite what gyms might tell you. Get that under control then get yourself a bike and ride it regularly for an hour or more and the weight will drop off without stressing your joints the way running does.
Old 29 July 2012, 11:34 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
Weight training doesn't lose weight it gains muscle and more weight. Weight control/loss is largely down to diet despite what gyms might tell you. Get that under control then get yourself a bike and ride it regularly for an hour or more and the weight will drop off without stressing your joints the way running does.
That's not entirely true. Your body will use up more calories if 50kg of your total body-weight is muscle than if the same 50kg is fat, even when you're not exercising. Also, since muscle is denser than fat, even if you weigh the same, you'll look slightly thinner (and less blob-like, obviously) if relatively more of your total weight consists of muscle than fat.

That said, if you're badly overweight you'll certainly shift the extra pounds quicker if you watch your diet as well as exercise, and if your main form of exercise is weight training, you'll do a lot better if you go for relatively lighter weights and more reps.
Old 29 July 2012, 08:58 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Diet is the most important thing and probably the hardest to do.
If you can manage the diet then the rest is easy.

Mix your training up throughout the week as doing the same thing every night will really slow your weight loss down.
Weight training (believe it or not) is also a very good technique for weight loss and toning. Don't go mad but a good 40 mins workout with weights twice a week will do wonders. Be sure to cover all muscle groups and concentrate on reps rather than total weight. It's proven that a tough 40min weight session can burn up to 500 cals. Add in plenty of running and cycling on the other nights and you'll do fine.

Write out a weekly plan and stick to it.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 29 July 2012 at 09:04 PM.