Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky installer, advice wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2012, 10:31 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sky installer, advice wanted.

I got sky+ fitted in November last year, when it was installed the installer had a real pain getting it to pick up signal due to trees nearby. Now that the trees are in full leaf my box keeps saying no signal detected. Spoke to sky and did a system reboot and now it doesn't work at all.

Acne engineer is coming tomorrow, what options does he have with sorting it out? Is it possible to put the dish on a pole on the chimney, is there a way of boosting the signal or if none of the above are doable will the system be taken out and the contract ended?
Cheers.
Old 08 July 2012, 10:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Obviously you could just have a duff lnb or box or the dish alignment needs tweeking.

The problem is Sky boxes tell lies...they say no signal is recieved when its only the default transponder frequency that is weak or lost....if for example you put in the frequency for ITV in manual tuning (10.788Ghz Polarisation:V Signal rate:22 FEC:5/6 ) you often find it'll pick up that station fine (If not, you should get ITV channel Islands on 10.906Ghz 22 5/6): .

Also the built-in signal strength meters aren't brilliant either, as is their ability to show how noisy the signal is (signal to noise ratio - i.e you can a have a strong signal, but a poor signal to noise ratio).

There is no way to boost a signal (assuming the dish is adjusted and LNB+box is ok). Without either fitting a bigger dish or relocating the existing dish. Which I guess Sky won't cover the costs for (non-standard installation).

Hopefully the guy who comes round will know his stuff.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 July 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08 July 2012, 11:03 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dish relocation or a chainsaw are the only options.

If the chimney is the only place to get a line of sight, and you get a proper sky engineer then he's likely to rebook it for the "special heights team". If raising the dish to create the required angle for line of sight is possible then you may have the option for a T&K pole mount but depending on where it is, it can look ugly and a bit extreme.

If you get a contractor then he may go ahead with it but you might have to pay for the additional bracketry required.

Unfortunately I come across this scenario all the time. Contractors will put up a dish with a marginal line of sight in the winter as the signal is more likely to pass through the obstruction and they'll get paid. Come the spring/summer and the customer is on the phone with no signal and looking at a dish relocation or loads of hassle to resolve the problem. You could argue that if there is no line of sight from a standard installation (dish on the wall using standard fittings) then it shouldnt have been installed in the 1st place and if youre going to incur charges to move it then you want to cancel.

Hope this helps, good luck
Old 09 July 2012, 06:54 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies folks.
The nice man from sky moved the dish and were back up and running again.
Shame really as now I have to listen to all the tripe the wife insists on watching.
Old 09 July 2012, 10:48 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burbling1
Thanks for the replies folks.
The nice man from sky moved the dish and were back up and running again.
Shame really as now I have to listen to all the tripe the wife insists on watching.
You should have told her it's broken and then restricted it to only show the channels you like