Old 04 July 2012, 08:49 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CERN live webcast happening now

http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/play_higgs.html

Looks like they may have found the Higgs boson

4.9 Sigma, good enough for me

Last edited by Saint AAI; 04 July 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04 July 2012, 08:52 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I went here for the weekend whilst I was doing a level physics the place is incredible!
Old 04 July 2012, 08:55 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I didn't go anywhere when I did A level physics
Old 04 July 2012, 09:09 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

well we're still here and didn't get sucked into a black hole!
Old 04 July 2012, 10:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Speak for yourself.......
Old 04 July 2012, 10:27 AM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
I didn't go anywhere when I did A level physics
I can`t even spell fizziks, let alone learn it....
Old 04 July 2012, 11:49 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Quite a good day to be alive.

Some scientists are comparing these results to the Apollo program and landing on the moon, to put things in to perspective.
Old 04 July 2012, 12:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Thread Subscribed: cuz it meks me look cleva.

Old 04 July 2012, 12:25 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

That makes you more intelligent than f1
Old 04 July 2012, 12:25 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

who has funded the investment in CERN?
Old 04 July 2012, 12:59 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Quite a good day to be alive.

Some scientists are comparing these results to the Apollo program and landing on the moon, to put things in to perspective.
They would say that as they want to keep the money coming in.
Old 04 July 2012, 01:02 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/play_higgs.html

Looks like they may have found the Higgs boson

4.9 Sigma, good enough for me
Not all scientists would agree that theoretical entities are actually real, ergo they are never actually 'found'.
Old 04 July 2012, 01:08 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'm hoping its not the "standard model" higgs, would open up a whole new can of worms......
Old 04 July 2012, 03:56 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I would rather have seen them go to the moon again....
Old 04 July 2012, 04:38 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
They would say that as they want to keep the money coming in.
No, they are saying it because on a scientific and engineering level, they are comparable, it is astonishing what they do at CERN and today, they have announced one of human kinds greatest achievements, a new state at 125 GeV, completely new Physics!

Not all scientists would agree that theoretical entities are actually real, ergo they are never actually 'found'.
You are talking about entity realism, a philosophical position, but is doesn't make any sense in regard this thread.

What they have found is an extremely rare particle that essentially causes matter to exist in the form we see in our universe and confirming the standard model of particle physics, the periodic table for the fundamental particles of the universe if you like, the possibilities for new technology, engineering etc by understanding how matter works, is endless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18708281
Old 04 July 2012, 04:42 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I would rather have seen them go to the moon again....
We know how to get there and it won't help science in doing so a 7th time, the results from today will lead mankind into different parts of the universe. In our lifetime Mars.
Old 04 July 2012, 04:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

No, they are saying it because on a scientific and engineering level, they are comparable..
Obviously the LHC has a much higher degree of engineering, which dwarfs the Space Shuttle in direct comparison, i meant in regards when they were both, at one time or another, at the very peak of scientific knowledge.
Old 04 July 2012, 05:11 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

No, they are saying it because on a scientific and engineering level, they are comparable, it is astonishing what they do at CERN and today, they have announced one of human kinds greatest achievements, a new state at 125 GeV, completely new Physics!
It's my understanding this isn't a new type of physics because the particle in question is a theoretical articulation of the current paradigm. There is nothing unexpected 'found' here rather something theoretical has been 'validated'.

Anyway the point is one is native to think that these scientists are only interested in the science or 'the good of humanity' or other such pretention. They have their toys and they want to keep using them! I'm not saying it is wrong or course but it is what it is.

They have spend decades trying to 'find' this particle and every failure would seem to falsify it's existence, yet now we have an instance of 'success' it is declared a reality. I'm not saying its wrong but if an experiment could be infused with confirmation bias this is it.

You are talking about entity realism, a philosophical position, but is doesn't make any sense in regard this thread.
It makes every sense. Physics here isn't all that distinguishable from metaphysics. What they have or haven't done only has context within a philosophical postion.

What they have found is an extremely rare particle that essentially causes matter to exist in the form we see in our universe and confirming the standard model of particle physics, the periodic table for the fundamental particles of the universe if you like, the possibilities for new technology, engineering etc by understanding how matter works, is endless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18708281
Still sounds like metaphysics ultimately to me, or maybe it's the dumbed down way it's presented to the masses. How can a particle 'cause' mass to exist? What actually is a particle anyway? It can't be described ultimately.
Old 04 July 2012, 05:51 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

It's my understanding this isn't a new type of physics because the particle in question is a theoretical articulation of the current paradigm. There is nothing unexpected 'found' here rather something theoretical has been 'validated'.
They have defiantly found a new boson, who knows if this is the Higgs. You can of course calculate the errors of experiments and therefore the uncertainty of your results, they are saying this result they are publishing are wrong one of a million times. Sigma is a just measure of deviation due to chance, inferential boundaries are set with it. To better explain
  • 1 sigma certainty is equivalent to 68% confidence that the value falls within the given range,
  • 2 sigma = 95% confidence
  • 3 sigma = 99.7% confidence
  • 4 sigma = 99.994% confidence
  • 5 sigma = 99.99994% confidence
This is the last slide from CERN.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gnuaf.png
Views:	0
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	74814

Anyway the point is one is native to think that these scientists are only interested in the science or 'the good of humanity' or other such pretention. They have their toys and they want to keep using them! I'm not saying it is wrong or course but it is what it is.
But you are quite happy to use the internet in it's current form, the proposal which came from CERN.

...confirmation bias this is it..
Really? I am speechless, i have no reply for that really, it is so wrong, on so many levels.
Old 04 July 2012, 05:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Really? I am speechless, i have no reply for that really, it is so wrong, on so many levels.
I'm not trying to denigrate anything just putting it in a social context. You have scientists trying to validate something for 40 odd years and then they finally do, and we sound surprised?
Old 04 July 2012, 06:01 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Anyway, i am off out for a few drinks with a friend tonight who is a Physicist, he told me today he was nearly is tears when watching the presentation, that sort of emotion only comes about when one truly understands the magnitude of the situation, i was merely chuffed at the news.

To anyone not giving a s*** about the news, spend an hour reading about it and you will start to realise the hype around it all
Old 04 July 2012, 06:02 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I'm not trying to denigrate anything just putting it in a social context. You have scientists trying to validate something for 40 odd years and then they finally do, and we sound surprised?
What if this is not the Higgs though, what if it something much more exotic?
Old 04 July 2012, 06:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

What if this is not the Higgs though, what if it something much more exotic?
It would be better if it isn't right? Then we'd have to innovate new theories. All that is left now is to flesh out the current paradigm right? (until it reaches a crisis anyway?).
Old 04 July 2012, 06:20 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

They have spend decades trying to 'find' this particle and every failure would seem to falsify it's existence, yet now we have an instance of 'success' it is declared a reality. I'm not saying its wrong but if an experiment could be infused with confirmation bias this is it.
Tony

Suppose you believe you've lost your car keys somewhere down the back of the sofa. You spend ages looking for them, and eventually, after a thorough search, you actually find them. You'd agree that would constitute a successful search, right?

The fact that you had to move all the cushions, disturb the cat, and maybe even found a few coins or biscuit crumbs along the way doesn't in any way change the outcome. You believed your keys were lost somewhere down the back of the sofa, and you found them. Success, no question. You can stop looking now, your theory has been validated.

Finding the Higgs is a tremendous validation of the scientific method, and I'm delighted to see that they appear to have succeeded.
Old 05 July 2012, 07:41 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Tony

Suppose you believe you've lost your car keys somewhere down the back of the sofa. You spend ages looking for them, and eventually, after a thorough search, you actually find them. You'd agree that would constitute a successful search, right?

The fact that you had to move all the cushions, disturb the cat, and maybe even found a few coins or biscuit crumbs along the way doesn't in any way change the outcome. You believed your keys were lost somewhere down the back of the sofa, and you found them. Success, no question. You can stop looking now, your theory has been validated.

Finding the Higgs is a tremendous validation of the scientific method, and I'm delighted to see that they appear to have succeeded.

Fantastic post.
Old 05 July 2012, 10:25 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Tony

You can see a key though it's not a theoretical entity articulated by a paradigm you are operating within.

Imagine looking for a key if you didn't know what a key is....how would you find it?
Old 05 July 2012, 10:33 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Tony

...then finds out later that they're not his car keys at all after trying to get into his car, but someone else from the previous nights swingers party where someone didn't want to sleep with a munter.

So it's quite possible that they found something else.
Old 05 July 2012, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I prefer to wait until they know for certain what they have observed rather than accept assumptions.

Les
Old 05 July 2012, 04:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony

I beleive Chuck Norris has split the Higgs Boson already, with his bare hands.

And this cat you disturb, is it Schrodingers ?
Old 05 July 2012, 07:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You can see a key though it's not a theoretical entity articulated by a paradigm you are operating within.

Imagine looking for a key if you didn't know what a key is....how would you find it?
You might reasonably examine the car that you already know exists, and work out that a tool of some kind might be required to make it work. Even without having seen it, you could make a reasonable prediction about how big that tool might be, what form it could take, and then go looking for things that might fit that description. Then, having found something that fits that description, you try it in the lock and see if it does what you expected.

Bear in mind that the only way you can "see" a key is by bouncing electromagnetic radiation off it and by comparing what comes back against a set of known patterns and experiences. That's not so far removed from analysing the result of a particle collision...

Originally Posted by jonc
...then finds out later that they're not his car keys at all after trying to get into his car, but someone else from the previous nights swingers party where someone didn't want to sleep with a munter.

So it's quite possible that they found something else.
Hence the 4.9 sigma qualification - the statement of just how possible it is that what they've found is something else, or nothing at all.

That's what the next phase of research will be: to increase that confidence level, and to find out how closely the properties of what they've found match theoretical predictions. In other words, they've found something that sure as heck looks like a car key - now they just need to see if it can start the engine.

Quick Reply: CERN live webcast happening now